Member who lives in St.Lucia

caribbeandiva

QUOTE=leighuf]I visited St. Lucia in July 2003 while on Adventure of the Seas. St. Lucia was our FAVORITE PORT. It is BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately, there is a lot of poverty on the island (with the exception of the tourists and the hotels that accomodate them). We did NOT book a private tour or a tour with the cruise ship.

When we stepped off the ship, a local man carrying a poster approached us. We said he could offer us a tour that the ship couldn't match. It did seem like a great deal (and it was). For 60 per person we got to see the Marigot Bay, bat cave, "drive-in" volcano, waterfall & spring, and a scenic tour of the island by boat and car. We were dropped off at Anse Chatanet for time on our own. We ate lunch at the outside restaurant & snorkeled at the hotel's snorkeling area. Lovely full-day tour with 'Peter the Great' and 2 other couples. We tipped him well.

Hi Leigh,

I read your review with interest and wondered what prompted your comment about poverty. I think that your comments are extremely misleading as I live here and there are no hotels where I live and there is also no poverty. I concede that some St. Lucians do not have as much as others do, but then again isn't that the case even in developed countries?

I am just curious as to what you saw which left you this impression which I have not really come across from other posters.

Caribbean Diva.

When our motor boat docked in Soufriere, I was shocked at what I saw. We hopped into our tour guides van and got a more scenic view . . . though the landscape was breath-takingly beautiful, especially the Pitons, I couldn't help but notice the poverty as we drove up to the 'drive-in' volcano. Make-shift shacks lined the road and beach. The shacks were made of cinder blocks and rotted sheets of wood. The locals just stared at us as we drove past. The shacks had no doors, no screens . . . women doing laundry in the ocean, wearing rags. As our van climbed up in the hills, we passed many locals in similar situations. The only other vans or cars we passed on the one-lane, muddy road were taxis filled with tourists with video cameras and zinc on their noses.

The only place I saw wealth was at the resorts. I only visited a few places on St. Lucia and it was only in the time span of one day. However, my friends who vacationed at St. Lucia for their entire honeymoon (a week and a half) had similar opinions.

I'm not saying all of St. Lucia is this way . . . but I did see poverty. I've visited Grand Cayman, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maartin, Antigua, and Barbados & I've never seen at those places what I saw at St. Lucia.

When our motor boat docked in Soufriere, I was shocked at what I saw. We hopped into our tour guides van and got a more scenic view . . . though the landscape was breath-takingly beautiful, especially the Pitons, I couldn't help but notice the poverty as we drove up to the 'drive-in' volcano. Make-shift shacks lined the road and beach. The shacks were made of cinder blocks and rotted sheets of wood. The locals just stared at us as we drove past. The shacks had no doors, no screens . . . women doing laundry in the ocean, wearing rags. As our van climbed up in the hills, we passed many locals in similar situations. The only other vans or cars we passed on the one-lane, muddy road were taxis filled with tourists with video cameras and zinc on their noses.

The only place I saw wealth was at the resorts. I only visited a few places on St. Lucia and it was only in the time span of one day. However, my friends who vacationed at St. Lucia for their entire honeymoon (a week and a half) had similar opinions.

I'm not saying all of St. Lucia is this way . . . but I did see poverty. I've visited Grand Cayman, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maartin, Antigua, and Barbados & I've never seen at those places what I saw at St. Lucia.

At least you retracted what I had taken exception to...the fact that you cannot speak for the whole of St. Lucia as being a place where there is poverty except where there are hotels. This could not be futher from the truth. Even in first world countries there are the wealthy and the less fortunate. Some of the most heartwrenching sights for me have been in the US where people come up to you at intersections dirty and ragged begging for money and sleeping under bridges.

FYI..Soufriere is a rural fishing village where many of the people still live their lives the olden way washing in the rivers, farming etc. They live a simple existence not one of poverty..there is a difference. As for those ladies washing clothes in rags..spin back through there on a Sunday..you'd be shocked at the transformation as they head off to church.;)

Caribbean Diva.

caribbeandiva, thanks for all the advice on beaches. could you help me decide on which beach.

where should we go on the beach at Choc and Reduit where we will be close to beach chair rentals and bathrooms?

Are there beach chair rentals and bathrooms at Marigot?

How is the beach at Pigeon Island? Are there rentals and bathrooms there?

Would public transportation or a taxi best get us to our destination?

Out of the four above, which would you reccommend? We are traveling with our 14 year old daughter. Would she prefer one over the others? Thanks!!

caribbeandiva, thanks for all the advice on beaches. could you help me decide on which beach.

where should we go on the beach at Choc and Reduit where we will be close to beach chair rentals and bathrooms?

Are there beach chair rentals and bathrooms at Marigot?

How is the beach at Pigeon Island? Are there rentals and bathrooms there?

Would public transportation or a taxi best get us to our destination?

Out of the four above, which would you reccommend? We are traveling with our 14 year old daughter. Would she prefer one over the others? Thanks!!

Hi Judy,

Both Choc and Reduit have good facilities such as chair rentals, water sports etc..perhaps you will enjoy Reduit a bit more since it's more scenic and is located in a prime vacation spot with major hotels and good restaurants within walking distance. Choc is adequate, but it is a bit more isolated with only two hotels close by those being Sandals Halcyon and Villa Beach Cottages..however Choc is fairly self sufficient with its own restaurant and all the amenities for a great day.

I am not quite sure that Pigeon Island has beach chair rentals, plus the beach is a bit small, however you can do a bit of snorkeling there and there is a restaurants and you may also tour the Pigeon Island museum and learn about St. Lucia's history.

Marigot is a breathtaking bay..lovely photo ops and enough restaurants to keep you full. I am sure that you can get chair rentals there also.

Overall, I think I would persuade you towards Reduit for convenience and access to facilities and for the widest range of eating choices..not to mention it's a beautiful beach.

Caribbean Diva.:)

Hi Caribbean Diva- Trying to decide what to do with our group of 13 people ages 7 to 76 for our day in Saint Lucia. I have been in touch with Cosol, who so many speak so fondly of. He would take us to all of the usual tourist attractions or he could take us to the rainforest. We will be spending the next day in Barbados on a catamaran all day, so we though we better not spend our whole day on St. Lucia at the beach. What do you think would be most fun for the group? Thanks so much!Also- Have you heard of a water taxi driver named Anthony Paul or Pursuit water taxi? I had been in contact with him a while ago but lost his info.

thanks caribbean diva - we will take your advice and go to reduit beach. where should we tell the taxi to let us off? or should we take the bus? Do you know how long the beach is? Really appreciate all your advice.

Judy,

Not sure how long Reduit beach is exactly, but it is one of our longer beach and arguably the most pretty one. It will be more than sufficient for you. You may want to take a taxi since it is not on the established local bus route and although it can be walked, you may find it a bit hot to do so depending on the time of day. Tell the taxi to drop you off at Spinakers Restaurant..it's right next to the beach.

Caribbean Diva.

Hi Caribbean Diva- Trying to decide what to do with our group of 13 people ages 7 to 76 for our day in Saint Lucia. I have been in touch with Cosol, who so many speak so fondly of. He would take us to all of the usual tourist attractions or he could take us to the rainforest. We will be spending the next day in Barbados on a catamaran all day, so we though we better not spend our whole day on St. Lucia at the beach. What do you think would be most fun for the group? Thanks so much!Also- Have you heard of a water taxi driver named Anthony Paul or Pursuit water taxi? I had been in contact with him a while ago but lost his info.

Hi,

Not sure about Anthony Paul, but I will make some inquiries on your behalf and let you know later. Given the fact that you will be spending the day in Barbados on a catamaran, perhaps you will enjoy a scenic tour of St. Lucia with Cosal. St. Lucia is markedly different from Barbados because it is very lush and scenic, with winding coastal road, sleepy fishing villages and gorgeous views peeking around corners especially on the western coast, where as Barbados is predominately flat and is densely population so there is not much natural beauty to enjoy, however having said that, Barbados has very lovely waters, so your catamaran ship should be very nice. Try to see tyhe Pitons while here in St. Lucia, they are most impressive to look at.

Caribbean Diva.

Do you think the rainforest is worth the trip or would we be better off seeing some of the other sights? How far is Soufriere from the cruise pier and how far is the rainforest from the pier? Thanks!

Soufriere is about an hour's drive depending on how fast you're driving:)...while the rainforest is about a 1/2 hour drive into the interior from the pier. It all depends on what you like..frankly the drive down to Soufriere to me is more scenic and you pass some sleepy quaint villages along the way as well as some terrific viewing points where the photo ops are great.

Caribbean Diva, first off, thank you so much for taking so much of your time answering all of our questions about your beautiful island! You have been ever so kind and helpful to so many people here. I too am requesting your input. I have been trying to locate a trip (catamaran or other type boat) for a trip to the Pitons. There are only 3 in our family, and am having trouble locating something. There are tours out there, however they just book for large numbers of people. I hate to try to book a "maybe trip" for the day, only to find there were no others that I met and that would be interested...sometimes it can be hard to find 9-10 new "best friends" to share an expense such as a catamaran trip :)You have mentioned Carnival Tours previously. Do they have anything such as what I'm looking for, to your knowledge? Also, do they or any others you might be able to think of have a website? Again, thank you for all of your assistance to us all here!

Hi,

Just found this thread after posting new thread with question.(my apologies for the duplication..)

but, was wondering if you new of a great place near the pier that opens early

(8am..)to purchase or a great caterer that could deliver a picnic lunch for 10 people filled with local food specialities and other treats...Also wanting to find a good local photographer that might be able to take our boat charter with us and take photos of the group, etc.. I have been searching the web to no avail. I have even emailed the chamber of commerce, and have received no response.

Hi,

Just found this thread after posting new thread with question.(my apologies for the duplication..)

but, was wondering if you new of a great place near the pier that opens early

(8am..)to purchase or a great caterer that could deliver a picnic lunch for 10 people filled with local food specialities and other treats...Also wanting to find a good local photographer that might be able to take our boat charter with us and take photos of the group, etc.. I have been searching the web to no avail. I have even emailed the chamber of commerce, and have received no response.

Hi you did not say when you were arriving and off what ship. The photograper will be easy enough to locate, but the caterer might be a bit more difficult. Exactly what did you have in mind?

Caribbean Diva.

Caribbean Diva, first off, thank you so much for taking so much of your time answering all of our questions about your beautiful island! You have been ever so kind and helpful to so many people here. I too am requesting your input. I have been trying to locate a trip (catamaran or other type boat) for a trip to the Pitons. There are only 3 in our family, and am having trouble locating something. There are tours out there, however they just book for large numbers of people. I hate to try to book a "maybe trip" for the day, only to find there were no others that I met and that would be interested...sometimes it can be hard to find 9-10 new "best friends" to share an expense such as a catamaran trip :)You have mentioned Carnival Tours previously. Do they have anything such as what I'm looking for, to your knowledge? Also, do they or any others you might be able to think of have a website? Again, thank you for all of your assistance to us all here!

Hi!

Have you tried all the local tours like The Brig Unicorn as well as Endless Summer and Mango Tango? I don't see why these would insist on large groups. Who have you called and what responses did you get? I was always of the opinion that these daysails can be booked by individuals. Let me know.

Caribbean Diva.

We are arriving in St. Lucia aboard the Summit on March 15th.

The boat captain can bring small sandwiches or has a carribean chicken

lunch package. But we were wondering if there were other options.

What are the local food favorites/specialies? I just thought maybe there

was a local caterer that specialized in picnic lunches that might be representatvie of the local specialities. I know here in Texas

there is one caterer that kinda specializes in lunches for smaller groups.

No big deal if I can't find such company- maybe if there is some restaurant that offers take out, I can request the tour company to supply some of these specialties.... As to the photographer, what do you think a local photographer would charge to accompany us for apprx. a 5 hour charter?

I think I would also like a photographer that might be agreeable to provide us with the rolls of film, as we won't be on the island to select the shots we want to purchase.

QUOTE=TamraQ]We are arriving in St. Lucia aboard the Summit on March 15th.

The boat captain can bring small sandwiches or has a carribean chicken

lunch package. But we were wondering if there were other options.

What are the local food favorites/specialies? I just thought maybe there

was a local caterer that specialized in picnic lunches that might be representatvie of the local specialities. I know here in Texas

there is one caterer that kinda specializes in lunches for smaller groups.

No big deal if I can't find such company- maybe if there is some restaurant that offers take out, I can request the tour company to supply some of these specialties.... As to the photographer, what do you think a local photographer would charge to accompany us for apprx. a 5 hour charter?

I think I would also like a photographer that might be agreeable to provide us with the rolls of film, as we won't be on the island to select the shots we want to purchase.

TamraQ, I should be able to provide you with some additional info since we have a bit of time. Local fare can be pretty extensive, but if you are looking along the lines of hors d'eouvres, I would suggest things like codfish balls, mahi mahi fingers, fried chicken drummette, Lucian style accras and stuff like that. Perhaps you'd be better off with a photograper who is doing digital work so that he can walk with a laptop and burn you a disk, at least you will have an idea of how the pictures look. What amount per hour will you be willing to pay? I can then use that info to see who responds and if there is a counter offer that you will be willing to accept.

Let me know

Caribbean Diva.:D

Archived