Snorkling without knowing swimming

kingofms

is it possible? Me and DW both don't know swimming, I have little idea. was wondering if snorkling is possible? and was planning on doing the captain marvins (in great cayman) 1/2 day stingray trip, would we be able to enjoy it?

In case the flotation devise has a leak, consider visiting your local YMCA or Red Cross and take swimming lessons. Remember, one never knows when Mr. Murphy may end up paying you a visit.

The biggest problem you will have is anxiety of having your face in water and breathing through the snorkel. Afloatation vest will give a sense of security, and allow you to relax and enjoy. just take it easy and go slow starting with a shore trip where you you can get used to it while still in shallow water, and go from there.

I am an excellent swimmer and went on a snorkle trip years ago and the water was really choppy. I wore a floatation blet because it was too much effort to keep afloat. I can't imagine being in that kind of open water w/o knowing how to swim. Its easy to get carried away in a current and panic. Get some swimming lessons. Its something you should do any way because its a necessary life skill that you never know when you might need it.

I think it would depend on where you are going to snokle. For example if you are in a place with very calm waters like Coco cay, or Nassau, it would not be a problem at all. However if you were snorkling off a boat in Cozumel and were a non-swimmer it could be a bit of a problem.

I think it would depend on where you are going to snokle. For example if you are in a place with very calm waters like Coco cay, or Nassau, it would not be a problem at all. However if you were snorkling off a boat in Cozumel and were a non-swimmer it could be a bit of a problem.

I agree, excellent point. My daughter is eight and is an excellent swimmer. In Grand Cayman I didn't ask her to wear a vest. But, in Cozumel I asked her to do so just so that she wouldn't wear herself out.

I used to be a lifeguard, so I just have to say that I do think taking a class would be your best bet from a safety perspective. But also, learning the basics and increasing your confidence may also improve your experience. You will not have to be side-tracked thinking about the water and swimming and will be freed up to enjoy the views. And, they are wonderful!!!

By thinking about this early and before your cruise next year you have plenty of time to get a couple of swim classes under your belt and even enjoy swimming in the upcoming summertime.

I was shocked when I found out my DH could not swim. The way I found out was when we were taking Scuba Diving lessons and I realized as I was watching him that he had NO idea what he was doing. He grew up on the East Coast and often went to the beach. Supposedly he was taught by his dad who has NEVER had any swim lessons either (stupid, stupid man!!!).

I was a lifeguard, competitive swimmer and Synchronized Swimmer. DH has since had private swim lessons. He isn't a strong swimmer but he does much better and I'm now more comfortable not worrying about him when he is in the water snorkeling. (He was NEVER certified as a Scuba diver and sadly, never will be because he has panic attacks underwater - thankfully we discovered the problem during the confined water dives in the local YMCA pool with a lifeguard on hand).

Swim lessons will definitely make your experience snorkeling much more enjoyable.

Pam

• 3 weeks later...

I have a fear of deep water...hate it, hate it, hate it...just creeps me out. I can swim a little but if I am in water over my head I freak out...hyperventilate...just can't stop it. I really wanted to snorkel though so I got one of those snorkel vests...I love it! I have complete confidence when I am out in the water. I never go on my own...DH is usually with me and he is like a fish. I think if you have others around you then you'll be ok with a vest...also the vest has given me more confidence to go in water to my neck now (without it)...it's been very slow going but that is better than when I couldn't go in past my waist. Also, it has an inflator that you can inflate while you're in the water. Last year I was playing with mine to let a little air out...I couldn't stop it and the air just kept spewing...DH came over and inflated me right back up :) I was good to go! I've never taken swimming lessons (that's definitely recommended) but I can swim...I just happen to panic in the water... Good luck!

I've held back on my reply...but it haunt's me.

I've worked as a life guard ... I WORK as a life guard. I stopped counting the number of folks I've pulled out of the water LONG ago.

If you do not know how to swim, you should not be in water deeper than your ankles.

Learn how to swim....it isn't hard. But if you KNOW you do not know how to swim DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT rely on an inflatable anything....

I have taught people how to swim in 30 minutes. It takes much less time than that to drown.

I also would recommend getting in some swimming lessons. It will make your snorkeling that much more enjoyable. Some places, such as CocoCay, require you to wear vests. It does help, but you never know when something might go astray. When taking your swimming lessons, inquire about snorkeling. There just might a chance to give it a try.

Yeah, I think others are right. Although I have a fear of water I still do have the ability to swim. Learning to breathe through the snorkel is something else as well...some people have to get used to that. I had to learn how not to panic with my head in the water although I could still breathe. I bet if you took a few lessons in swimming that you'd not only be safer, but enjoy the experience a lot more. The first time I went snorkeling I wasted my money. I was so scared and freaked out...and we were in 20ft of water. I couldn't do anything but sit on the beach or the catamaran.

I can swim well, but I'm not a strong swimmer. The first time I went snorkeling was off a catamaran, we just walked off the boat into this deep deep water and I freaked out and managed to swim back and get a "solid" life vest. I would recommend these much more than an inflatable. They hold you up well, yet you can float and snorkel face down with ease, then roll back to rest. These are similar to the ones the cruise ships have (they are not pretty, but they work), most snorkel trips have these available, but you can also buy life jackets at walmart or even some thrift stores have them at the end of the season. It is good for peace of mind and for you to enjoy the snorkeling experience without thinking you are going to drop to the bottom of the ocean. Snorkeling is such a wonderful experience, you really should do all you can to try it, but be prepared and you should know the basics about swimming, at least to be able to move yourself along and get back to the boat.

I can swim well, but I'm not a strong swimmer. The first time I went snorkeling was off a catamaran, we just walked off the boat into this deep deep water and I freaked out and managed to swim back and get a "solid" life vest. I would recommend these much more than an inflatable. They hold you up well, yet you can float and snorkel face down with ease, then roll back to rest. These are similar to the ones the cruise ships have (they are not pretty, but they work), most snorkel trips have these available, but you can also buy life jackets at walmart or even some thrift stores have them at the end of the season. It is good for peace of mind and for you to enjoy the snorkeling experience without thinking you are going to drop to the bottom of the ocean. Snorkeling is such a wonderful experience, you really should do all you can to try it, but be prepared and you should know the basics about swimming, at least to be able to move yourself along and get back to the boat.

Archived