Rum Distiller Tours in Barbados

Fancy_Goods

Hello all....just back from Barbados via Carnival Destiny 11/26 sailing. My Barbados adventure was focused strictly on Rum and the making thereof. I visited first Mount Gay Rum then Malibu Rum. I did the tours at both Distilleries, and while similar, they really were very different from each other. I found the two dovetailed beautifully and I feel I now have a full understanding on the history, making and distribution of rum.

Background: I am a SWF, early 40's, travelling solo. This was my first trip to Barbados.

Mount Gay Rum

I took a taxi from the cruise port...$10.00. First tour does not start until 10:30 am so do not hurry to get there! The tour (cost $8 US per person) was very nice with a historical overview, video presentation, and a tour of the bottling facility. The tour ended at the very nice bar/gift shop where rum tasting ensured. We were offered 5 different rum products including the yummy Brown Sugar Brandy and the Kuba Ponce liquior. I found the liquor prices in the gift shop to be VERY INEXPENSIVE and I should have bought more. I only purchased bottles that are not exported to the US and enough that I could carry easily.

Malibu Rum

I walked up the road, which follows the beach, for less than 1 mile to Malibu Beach. Mind you, it is off the main highway through a beach side residential area....and not well marked coming from the South. Malibu Beach has a gift shop, and full beach facilities including a grill, showers, restrooms and all the ususal beach activities. Look for the Malibu guy you see in all the commercials. I think he lives there. Tours are sporadic and cost $10 US per person. The tour includes beach access for the day and 2 free drink tickets. For their tour, you get to wear a hard hat and see everything from the coppersmith (barrel makers) to cane crushing, fermenting, distilling and bottling of the rum. The biggest surprise is that Malibu Rum itself is not bottled in Barbados! The rum is made there (Old Dominion--considered the "rot gut" of Barbados!!!!) then shipped to either Canada (for US bottling) or Scotland (for European bottling). The coconut flavoring is added just prior to bottling. The tour also ended with a rum tasting. We were offered 3 different rum products (2-Old Dominion, 1-Malibu). Only the coconut flavored Malibu is available in the gift shop, and the prices are on par with US prices. IMO--Save the agony and buy it here at home. I asked about the other flavors of Malibu now available and was told the other flavors (Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Mango) are considered "test market" and may or may not last long. The rumored Lime flavored rum was discontinued in 2003.

There are plenty of taxis available for the trip back to the port. Cost again was $10....be careful to not get suckered into a "tour" of the island on your way back to your ship, if this is not what you want. One taxi driver was very forward with me until I told him I had no money left. He then said he would still give me a tour for "favors exchanged"!!! My first thought was "Give me a break buddy! I don't give anything away at home, why would I give it away on vacation?!?!" My reaction was to say "thank you but no, I do not need a ride from you." I then asked my tour guide to find me a taxi driver--which she did--a little old man who was as sweet as candy and gave me a quick tour on the way back to the ship for free!

In retrospect, I am glad I made my way to Malibu but will not return...been there, done that. Mount Gay on the other hand is someplace I'd like to return to in the future....especially when their product is so very affordable and very delicious!

• 7 months later...

Hi Fancy_Goods

I am so sorry I feel awful that you had to experience that taxi man making those comments to you.

I suppose that no matter where you go in the world you can find a few creeps.

I am a Barbadian and to be honest I also get those types of comments. LOL but I deal with it differently LOL I turn on my Bajan accent and dialect and tell them off.

In Barbados we have some excellent taxi drivers but we also have some that send you running the other way.

Just a general note to everyone. Always make sure to clarify price with all the taxi drivers before you get in the vehicle . be sure to ask it the price is Barbados or US.

There is a Tariff for the taxis but most do not appear to operate by the tariff.

Most importantly remember it is your holiday your time so do what you want and only what you want and be happy.

As The song says don't worry be happy :cool:

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.htm

Can you rent jet skis on Malibu Beach?

You can rent jet-skis at just about any beach on the island

- once it's West Coast or South Coast!

You'll see them whizzing by, looking for business.

All you gotta do is wave your arms and give a big Whooop!

and they'll come running.

They move from place to place, from Bay to Bay, from Coast to Coast.

You kin catch them anywhere, if they don't catch you first!

Archived