Tours in Indonesia

cadcruiser

Are there any recommendations for tours in Padang Bai, Bali and Semarang, Java, Indonesia? Does anyone know if there's anything to do in the port areas? I've noticed there's a travel advisory against going to Indonesia and wondering how safe it is to go there.

Indonesia is a huge country with a wide mix of ethnic groups. While largely Muslim, there are also area which are mostly Christian and and Bali is 95% Hindu (a very unusal type of Hinduism).

Bali is actually quite safe. The bombings were in night clubs in Kuta frequented by young, Aussie party-goers. Awful, of course, but not the type of place most cruisers are likely to visit.

I'd strongly recommend a private driver/guide. You really do NOT want to drive on Bali and you will see much more, and more of whatever you want to see, and for less money using a private driver. the cost will be about $50US per day for the car (not per person). I'm not sure of the rules here, so I don't know if I can suggest a specific driver or not.

Semarang is largely Muslim. It is a busy port city with not all that much to see. Some of the surroudning countryside is lovely, though. My favorite place is Gedong Songo (old temple, great views). The most popular place for tours is Borobudor-- whcih is well wrth seeing. I'm sure the ship will offer a bus an/ir train tour there. It is a remarkable site. Incidently, the noble families who built this place later moved to Bali when the Muslims conquered Java -- this is why Bali is now Hindu.

Paul

Thanks Paul for your info on Indonesia. I was considering a tour to Borobudor as the cruise ship offers both a bus and train tour. Which one would you recommend?

A bad question as to ask me. I love trains and I hate buses. I would say take the train even if it were 3rd class only, sit on the room and the bus was atomic powered with hot and cold running stewerdesses.

With that out of the way:) the real question (for me at least) would be exactly what is covered on each tour. How much time is wasted (again, for me) in "shopping opportunity stops."

Paul

Thanks Paul for your info on Indonesia. I was considering a tour to Borobudor as the cruise ship offers both a bus and train tour. Which one would you recommend?

A bad question as to ask me. I love trains and I hate buses. I would say take the train even if it were 3rd class only, sit on the room and the bus was atomic powered with hot and cold running stewerdesses.

With that out of the way:) the real question (for me at least) would be exactly what is covered on each tour. How much time is wasted (again, for me) in "shopping opportunity stops."

Paul

Sudi, the famous martini bar tender on Celebrity, has "retired" from cruising and is in the Bali tour business. He sent me an email recently, and attached a brochure that will be the basis of his website, offering half and full day tours of Bali. They run from golf, botanical & agricultural, zoo park, van charters, Hindu Temples, to sipping martinis with Sudi.

The phone number is +62 361 439 843

Darcy

• 1 year later...

We did private tours in Bali and to Borobodur. Bali through http://www.yourbalidriver.com fr $40 for a full day for 4 persons. Borobodur in a van for 10 for $70 each with A. Fitriawan at http://www.javatourismexplore.com. Both men spoke English although, since Mr. Fitriawan spent time in the USA, he knows more of the lingo. He was extremely professional and knowledgeable. In Bali Putu was eager to serve us and waited for two hours at Padang Bay because we were late tendering to shore.

St. Pete

Archived