No receipts?????

PescadoAmarillo

Glad to see Princess is reducing costs by reducing paper products.

While we're ranting, maybe they can use the increased revenue to furnish some decent toilet paper. The latest toilet paper is worse than most airports and other public areas. :rolleyes:

While we're ranting, maybe they can use the increased revenue to furnish some decent toilet paper. The latest toilet paper is worse than most airports and other public areas. :rolleyes:

The toilet paper provided goes through the vacuum waste system without clogging and can be treated in the sewage plants on board.

In your previous post you seem so confident in defending Princess by making suggestions an environmentalist would make. So I wanted to point out that cruise lines obviously have disregard for the environment as they produce waste streams containing bilge water (which can contain oil and grease), sewage (ever wonder what these "bad smells" are that we read about so often in these forums?), gray water (water from showers, sinks, kitchens and laundry facilities), ballast water and solid waste (food waste and garbage). I know there are many studies being performed on these issues and they are becoming more strict, i.e. Sewage and Gray Water Standards Development and Cruise Ship Discharge Assessment Report.

Hey, you were the one that brought up the environment. :p

Right-o. I brought up the environment because the original poster instantly accused Princess of a hidden agenda and I suggested there might be other reasons as to why the paper receipts have been curtailed. I think your statement that cruise lines have a disregard for the environment is totally false and accusatory. A cruise ship creates waste that needs to be treated and handled properly to be as environmentally responsible as possible. I would venture to guess that cruise lines handle their associated waste in a more responsible manner than do oil companies, plastic manufacturers, chemical manufacturers, automobile makers and a host of other industries that could be named. You’re right, there are more strict rules – the dumping of treated waste and bilge water is only allowed in deep ocean and even then the waste is treated before dumping. Do I wonder where the bad smells come from? No, I don’t and if you’d read my posts on the associated threads you’d see that I continually remind people that cruise ships have sewage plants on them – just like your community does. Does your community have a disregard for the environment because it processes sewage?

Cruise lines like any industry (and as I’ve also often stated, a cruise ship is an industrial plant) have challenges when it comes to protecting the environment. Except for some isolated incidents, they do pretty damn well and Princess has won a number of environmental awards over the years for the job they do. Reducing paper waste – if that is their objective – only shows their commitment to running their business in as green a mode as possible.

I brought up the environment because the original poster instantly accused Princess of a hidden agenda...the dumping of treated waste and bilge water is only allowed in deep ocean and even then the waste is treated before dumping...Princess has won a number of environmental awards over the years for the job they do.

FYI, every last cruise line has won the annual Environmental Award at the port of San Francisco. There are other awards given out at different ports across the country, and across the world. They are mostly given out by private organizations. There have been years when Princess didn't win one and RCCI did, or when Celebrity did. It just recognizes each year the most environmentally friendly ships out of any ship that entersport. It has nothing to do with the line as a whole. Just because a few select Princess ships won (along side other cruise lines, may I add) doesn't make Princess an environmentally friendly company. Each ship is inspected and their waste treatment program is looked over. These inspections are not random and the cruise line is informed beforehand. They have plenty of time to get things in order.

No, my community does not disregard the environment because of the sewage processing, only because processed sewage is leaked deep into the ground where it is naturally able to cleanse itself. Dumping even processed sewage into the sea creates water pollution that isn't natural. It shouldn't be dumped at all.

Now that we're way off topic, I'll sign out. Enjoy the rest of the thread.:p

FYI, every last cruise line has won the annual Environmental Award at the port of San Francisco. There are other awards given out at different ports across the country, and across the world. They are mostly given out by private organizations. There have been years when Princess didn't win one and RCCI did, or when Celebrity did. It just recognizes each year the most environmentally friendly ships out of any ship that entersport. It has nothing to do with the line as a whole. Just because a few select Princess ships won (along side other cruise lines, may I add) doesn't make Princess an environmentally friendly company. Each ship is inspected and their waste treatment program is looked over. These inspections are not random and the cruise line is informed beforehand. They have plenty of time to get things in order.

No, my community does not disregard the environment because of the sewage processing, only because processed sewage is leaked deep into the ground where it is naturally able to cleanse itself. Dumping even processed sewage into the sea creates water pollution that isn't natural. It shouldn't be dumped at all.

Now that we're way off topic, I'll sign out. Enjoy the rest of the thread.:p

Thanks, insightful info unlike the normal recycled garbage (pun intended) :D

Dumping even processed sewage into the sea creates water pollution that isn't natural. It shouldn't be dumped at all.
OK, I know that the issue is much more complex than this, but I was entertained by the idea that no poo or pee should go into the ocean. After all, fish would never dream of doing that in their home, would they? ;) :D

Archived