NCL CANCELS SUN Van-Hawaii September 16 2006

dianeh

I've just been notified by my TA that the sailing to Hawaii from Vancouver has been pulled!

It was supposed to be my birthday cruise, I turn 50 on the 16th. I hope its not an omen.

Hopefully those of you who booked can find something else. I think I'll just go to Disneyland.

Diane

I suspect NCL will offer the Pride of Aloha as a replacement for the Sun, transferring the bookings directly, with the passengers consent. Back during 2004 NCL switched many Sky bookings to the Spirit.

Why move the Sun from New Orleans, use her for the winter season in New Orleans and the summer season in Alaska. And why move the Spirit from New York? At least use her in New York during the summer season and move her to Houston or Charleston during the winter season.

In the past I have noted that NCLA may have problems booking 3 ships with NCL having 1 ship there. It appears NCLA has finally realized they can do a better job booking 3 different Hawaian intineraries rather than the same one on different days. I have always felt the fourth NCL ship was one too many for Hawaii.

I thought the OP must have meant September 2007. At the end of northern summer 2006, the Sun repositioned from Alaska to New Orleans, from where she has been sailing. So obviously there was never a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise for this ship in 2006, but the timing was exactly right for the end-of-Alaska-season repositioning at the end of northern summer 2007.

I hate to be the bearer of (perhaps) bad tidings, but the Sun is not going to sail Hawaii next year. The Pride of Aloha is going to do 10 and 11 day sailings. The rep I spoke to had no specific dates of sailings but confirmed this change. Now I grant you that was only 1 rep. I first became aware of the change on the NCL CC site.

The 11 day itinerary seems to be the same as what we booked but the 10 day is different than what I have seen before, spending 3 days in Maui.

Again if info is correct. The Aloha is a 3 1/2* ship as opposed to the Sun which I believe is 4 1/2. The Sun was built for "Freestyle" and the Aloha was built before and adapted.

I doubt you will get much more info that is very specific for a day or two.

The first 2 NCL reps I spoke to didn't even know about the change. The person I finally got info from was a tech advisor as I am trying (very unsuccesfully) to get registered online for our Mex. Riviera cruise of Jan. 25.

I'm sure they will try to accomodate all passengers, but how succesfully remains to be seen. Perhaps this is all a mistake, but I don't think so.

Very strange. I got a not-so-good feeling about this trip and cancelled my March, 2008, voyage last week. Don't know what made me do it. Hope the loss of my revenue didn't cause them to pull the ship! ;)

It will be interesting to hear what - if any - compensation NCL offers those who are being cancelled from the Sun. Anyone get any discount offers yet?

I am an agent and have a group booked on the NCL SUN sailing for 10/10 myself included. I was wanting to change my cabin today and they said the ship was completely full. I wondered how it got so full in the week I was gone on a cruise. They didn't mention anything about a change in itinerary or ships. It will be interesting to see what develops.

The revised itineraries won't be opened for sale until December 27.

The new Pride of Aloha program won't be just a copy of what Norwegian Sun was doing. There will be a 10-day all-Hawaii, a 11-day all-Hawaii, and a 11-day Fanning Island. They will operate in rotation, so each will sail only once a month (actually every 32 days).

BTW, since there will be only two ships left in the 7-day Hawaii market(beginning September 07), if you are planning to book that, do so soon. With fewer cabins, pricing is expected to take a healthy turn upward.

Alan Wilson

Cruise News Daily

"the news is available on Seatrade Insider (free registration required). I'm not posting the text because it's copyright of that site."
Finally, I've been able to get hold of the text of the press release:-
NCL Corporation this week announced that beginning in September 2007 it will move Pride of Aloha to 10- and 11-day cruises from Honolulu sailing both inter-island itineraries mixed with Hawaii cruises calling into Fanning Island in Kiribati, NCL's Pacific Island hideaway just north of the Equator.

Norwegian Sun will be redeployed to Miami to sail seven-day Western Caribbean cruises beginning in October 2007 through mid-April 2008. Norwegian Sun's seven-day Western Caribbean itinerary features calls into Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Mexico; and a call into Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island.

The ship will join Norwegian Pearl sailing nine- and five-day Southern and Western Caribbean cruises and Norwegian Jewel sailing seven-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries, offering a full complement of cruises to the most popular Caribbean destinations.

"We are now receiving very good feedback from our guests on the seven-day inter-island cruise, and we are increasingly hearing requests for a longer version of this destination-rich inter-island cruise including one or two days at sea," said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL Corporation. "With these new 10- and 11-day itineraries, we can deliver expanded Hawaii itineraries to our guests that include longer stays on the four main islands of Hawaii, relaxing days at sea and spectacular coastal cruising."

Pride of Aloha begins her new deployment in September 2007. The 10-day Hawaii only cruise features an overnight in Honolulu ensuring guests can enjoy all the wonderful sights in Oahu; an overnight in Kaua'i; three days in Maui including a overnight in Kahului with a call into Lahaina; and calls into Hilo and Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. Highlights also include a night time sail by the Kilauea Volcano and a day at sea cruising by the Na Pali coast line and cruising the north coast of Molokai.

The 11-day Hawaii only cruises feature the same port of calls as the 10-day but include two days at sea with guests enjoying a sail by the Na Pali coast line, a night time sail by the Kilauea Volcano and sailing the north coast of Moloka'i and the north coast of Oahu.

The 11-day Hawaii/Fanning Island itineraries include an overnight in Kaua`i featuring a sail by the Na Pali coast line at sunset; calls into Hilo and Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii; a call into Kahului, Maui and a call into Fanning Island.

Located 1,000 miles south of Hawaii, Fanning Island, or Tabuaeran as it is know by the locals (from the Kiribati word meaning 'heavenly footprint') is an exotic South Pacific paradise.

Guests enjoy a unique adventure, rarely available to modern travelers. Sea birds are plentiful, sea life is hugely diverse and snorkelers and divers marvel at the stunning coral reefs. Most notably though, the island is inhabited, and guests are welcomed by the 1,300 friendly Micronesian islanders, which is a highlight of the trip for many passengers. The Hawaii/Fanning Island cruises are scheduled for every fourth Pride of Aloha cruise.

Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii continue their popular seven-day inter-island cruises calling on all four main islands featuring 100 hours in port with overnights in Kauai and Maui.

Pride of America features Saturday departures from Honolulu with calls into Hilo, Hawaii; an overnight in Kahului; Maui; Kona, Hawaii; and an overnight in Nawiliwili, Kaua'i.

The newest addition to the NCL America fleet, Pride of Hawaii, began her seven-day inter-island cruises from Honolulu on June 5, 2006. She offers Monday departures calling on Hilo, Hawaii; an overnight in Kahului; Maui; Kona; Hawaii; and an overnight in Nawiliwili, Kaua'i.

Pride of Aloha and Norwegian Sun's new cruises go on sale December 27. Detailed itineraries will also be available on ncl.com on December 27.

Isn't it interesting that nobody at NCL seems to know what going on here. I called our Personal Cruise Consultant about this as we are booked on the YVR/HNL reposition next year and the reservation is still valid and they are still taking bookings for the sailing. I asked if Customer Relations knew anything about this, and I was transferred to them, who when they put our reservation number into the system, still pulled up a valid sailing.

Customer Relations knows nothing about this press release or any changes in the Sun's sailing.

Interesting, huh? How did the OP's travel agent find this out, when 3 customer relations rep's I talked to moments ago have not heard a thing about this?

I'll just book another cruise. A little dissappointed if this one is gone, as the itinterary seemed very plausable.

Customer Relations knows nothing about this press release or any changes in the Sun's sailing.

Interesting, huh? How did the OP's travel agent find this out, when 3 customer relations rep's I talked to moments ago have not heard a thing about this?

I just checked out the on-line booking site and this does still show as a valid cruise. The Sun cruise that I am booked on in Feb 08 is not there. Maybe this cruise isn't cancelled. The ship has to sail south to get to the Caribbean and many other lines do the Alaska Hawaii repo cruise, why not NCL? Then follow it with a HI to CA, then CA through the Panama Canal?

I just checked out the on-line booking site and this does still show as a valid cruise. The Sun cruise that I am booked on in Feb 08 is not there. Maybe this cruise isn't cancelled. The ship has to sail south to get to the Caribbean and many other lines do the Alaska Hawaii repo cruise, why not NCL? Then follow it with a HI to CA, then CA through the Panama Canal?

Because, technically since the Sun is sailing under the Bahamas flag, it can't sale directly from Hawaii to California, althought it can from Hawaii to Mexico. Ending the cruise in Ensenada, Mexico is an option, but you will have to take a long bus ride across the border to the airport in San Diego or Los Angeles. Remember the earlier scheduled Sun repo cruise was from Canada to Hawaii. International flag ships must sail to a "Distant" foreign port when departing from an American port and arriving at a different American port, like on a repositioning cruise. The closest "Distant" Foreign port is Fanning Island from Hawaii, or Aruba for a Panama Canal cruise.

They could leave Hawaii and sail to Fanning Island before heading for California. But that would make that cruise Four days longer, and you'll end up with almost Two weeks of At Sea days. No one would want to take that cruise to nowhere.

So, the return trip from Hawaii would probably end up in Mexico. Then NCL would have to sail the Sun empty to Los Angeles before sailing the Panama Canal cruise, almost all of these stop in Aruba for a reason.

You're correct, they could do it, but Pacific Costal Cruises from Vancouver to Los Angeles are just as popular, and what NCL has historically done.

To sail directly from California to Hawaii, without stopping in a "Distant" foreign port, the ship has to be sailing under the American flag, like the NCLA Pride ships.

If you're desperate to sail directly from California to Hawaii, or vice-versa, wait for one of the NCLA Pride ships to make this cruise prior to or after a dry dock. The Pride of Aloha did so last year, the Pride of America should be next, although it's dry dock has been rescheduled back to 2008.

P.S. You can't book the new itineraries for all the ships involve until December 27. So I wouldn't expect the previous itineraries to disappear until December 27 too.

To sail directly from California to Hawaii, without stopping in a "Distant" foreign port, the ship has to be sailing under the American flag, like the NCLA Pride ships.

Yup, you're right. I thought I was so clever but forgot the "distant" part. I was thinking of my brother's cruise last year, but that was a Los Angeles Round trip with a stop in Ensenada. That was on Celebrity

If you're desperate to sail directly from California to Hawaii, or vice-versa, wait for one of the NCLA Pride ships to make this cruise prior to or after a dry dock. The Pride of Aloha did so last year, the Pride of America should be next, although it's dry dock has been rescheduled back to 2008.

P.S. You can't book the new itineraries for all the ships involve until December 27. So I wouldn't expect the previous itineraries to disappear until December 27 too.

No, I'm desperate to have my Feb 2008 Hawaiian cruise on the Sun straightened out one way or another.

No, I'm desperate to have my Feb 2008 Hawaiian cruise on the Sun straightened out one way or another.

They'll probably allow you to transfer over to an 11 day Pride of Aloha cruise, if you really want to see Fanning Island. To the other Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, or Pride of Hawaii cruises too. We'll know more next week.

I know you're disappointed, but the other ships are just as nice. Isn't the purpose of your Hawaian cruise to see Hawaii? If it's really to sail on the Sun, you can still do so from Miami, but not from Honolulu.

This cruise was a big deal for me. Its my 50th birthday on the 16th, day of departure out of Vancouver. I did alot of research to find a cruise that was sailing on my special day, and was affordable and had good reviews. There isn't much out there in September. And no, cool weather is not in my vocabulary.

Now I'm out of luck unless NCL comes up with something else which I doubt they will. We had another couple confirmed and 4 other couples considering.

Thanks alot NCL.

And yes, as the OP, I did error by giving the incorrect year.

Now I'm out of luck unless NCL comes up with something else which I doubt they will.
It is likely that the Sun will still be sailing south from Vancouver on 16 September 2007, probably on a coastal voyage towards and then through the Panama Canal. Would any of that appeal to you?

I'm sure we'd consider anything but cost is an issue too. We had originally thought of Panama with the Rapsody of the Seas but costs were up to about $7400 cdn for the two of us.

I'm afraid my birthday isn't worth all that! The cruise and air on the Hawaii route was $4300 cdn.

Thanks, I'll look for the option and then decide.

It is likely that the Sun will still be sailing south from Vancouver on 16 September 2007, probably on a coastal voyage towards and then through the Panama Canal. Would any of that appeal to you?

I would be interested in the Pacific Coastal followed by the Panama Canal cruise back to back. Both cruises would probably be cheaper than their original Escape to Hawaii cruise, and longer on top of that.

Just wait until December 27 to find out what options you'll have.

You might end up with a better cruise.......

I would be interested in the Pacific Coastal followed by the Panama Canal cruise back to back. Both cruises would probably be cheaper than their original Escape to Hawaii cruise, and longer on top of that.

Just wait until December 27 to find out what options you'll have.

You might end up with a better cruise.......

The Pacific Coastal on the Sun the past year is not worth doing again. A whole day stop in Astoria, followed with 4 hours in San Fran, not pleasant.

I have to dispute your calculations here Ron. The Sun repo to NOLA this year was FAR more expensive than this repo from Vanc to Hawaii. IE. A BD balcony was going to run us $4300 with return air from NOLA to YVR. The same category on this repo to Hawaii with return air is $1300 cheaper. However, you must realize that the Hawaii cruise is only 13 days, versus 25 for the Pacific Coastal/Panama route. Hence Hawaii is cheaper

If NCL offers me the Panama for a similar price, I *might* consider it. What's pissing me off is that the press release is all over NCL.COM, but nobody answering their phones is aware of anything.

So, perhaps this cruise is still on. I doubt it though. I will play the wait and see game - already booked another with Princess in the meantime. NCL is not impressing me right now (I do love their ships and crew though).

The Pacific Coastal on the Sun the past year is not worth doing again. A whole day stop in Astoria, followed with 4 hours in San Fran, not pleasant.

I have to dispute your calculations here Ron. The Sun repo to NOLA this year was FAR more expensive than this repo from Vanc to Hawaii. IE. A BD balcony was going to run us $4300 with return air from NOLA to YVR. The same category on this repo to Hawaii with return air is $1300 cheaper. However, you must realize that the Hawaii cruise is only 13 days, versus 25 for the Pacific Coastal/Panama route. Hence Hawaii is cheaper

If NCL offers me the Panama for a similar price, I *might* consider it. What's pissing me off is that the press release is all over NCL.COM, but nobody answering their phones is aware of anything.

So, perhaps this cruise is still on. I doubt it though. I will play the wait and see game - already booked another with Princess in the meantime. NCL is not impressing me right now (I do love their ships and crew though).

It's not like NCL is the only cruise line that changes itineraries or repositions ships, they all do, including Princess. Sorry you ran into one.

What's really disturbing, is while I was aboard the Dream last week, the Latitudes and Future Cruise Consultant was informing everyone that the Gem would be sailing from Miami next winter. With all these recent changes, she may have been right after all, although at the time I thought she was ill informed. Even the crew aboard the ships are lost. What makes you think the staff ashore are better informed? All they, the sales staff, are really interested in is the commission by selling you a cruise.

Archived