NCL CANCELS SUN Van-Hawaii September 16 2006

dianeh

It's not like NCL is the only cruise line that changes itineraries or repositions ships, they all do, including Princess. Sorry you ran into one.

Exactly, roll with the punches I say.

However, I still don't understand why the people answering the phones at NCL know nothing about the press release on NCL.COM.

What's pissing me off is that the press release is all over NCL.COM, but nobody answering their phones is aware of anything.

Maybe they are aware of it, but think the conversation to the next step.

Let's say they are rearranging reservations and preparing to make customers "whole," but aren't there yet

By saying they don't know anything, it postpones the inevitable fights until everything is in place.

I agree with cruizinwithkids on this - it makes a lot of sense.

Can you imagine the phone calls that would otherwise take place?

Customer: You've moved the ships?

Agent: Yes we have.

Customer: What are you going to do about my booked cruise?

Agent: We haven't sorted that out yet.

Customer: So sort mine out now.

Agent: No, we're going to do it when we're ready.

Customer: I want you to do it now.

Agent: I can't.

Customer: &$(^&*(*(&^

The way that NCL are doing it, it avoids this scenario.

Of course, the other reason may just be big organisation/right hand/left hand etc etc. :)

This cruise was a big deal for me. Its my 50th birthday on the 16th, day of departure out of Vancouver. I did alot of research to find a cruise that was sailing on my special day, and was affordable and had good reviews. There isn't much out there in September. And no, cool weather is not in my vocabulary.

Now I'm out of luck unless NCL comes up with something else which I doubt they will. We had another couple confirmed and 4 other couples considering.

Thanks alot NCL.

And yes, as the OP, I did error by giving the incorrect year.

Crusie lines change itineraries and ships all the time. Of course it is a disappointment, but you have almost a year to decide on something else. When our Granddaughter got married on Celebrity last Dec, although the ship wasn't totally moved or replaced, the itinerary changed 3 times from Jan to sailing. She had chosen the ship because of the itinerary, but we didn't let this interfer with her wedding or 20 plus people having a good time. NMnita

Has anyone got "the call yet" we are leaving saturday andI sure would like to know my options before then, it will suck to have to do it all online from the ship (ironically the sun which I was suppossed to be on the following christmas)

I got a call from NCL today, and quote "your sailing is still on from what I am seeing today." That means as of today, the sailing is fine. However, who knows what might happen next week. The person I talked to noted that the itineraries are changing for this ship in October, but the *might* still send the ship to Hawaii (why? makes no sense) and then send her through the Panama to Miami (man, that would be a lot of sea days).

The Rep I talked to mentioned that they may not sell that sailing (Hawaii to Acapulco) but may sell for the Acapulco-Panama-Miami. However, makes more sense to send it from Vcr, LA, Panama, Miami.

BTW: NCL was able to make a 'mock' booking on this sailing and no notes came up indicating that the itinerary had been pulled.

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of compensation they offer people who are booked on this cruise if it is in fact cancelled.

DON'T YOU LOVE SPECULATION?

I understand that when you book a cruise over a year in advance that changes may occur but here is my problem with this, first, I have to find out about it on cruise critic not from my TA, who when I called her, she knew absolutely nothing about this and second, what happens to my flights that I have already booked on my own. I have frequent flyer flights that I had a heck of a time getting and now I have them and they can't even give me the dates of the new schedules. I was supposed to be on the Sun 9/29. If they have another ship going on my same itinerary I will be fine with that but if they do not what will they do to regarding my scheduled flights??

If they have another ship going on my same itinerary I will be fine with that but if they do not what will they do to regarding my scheduled flights??
You should normally be able to cancel the frequent flyer tickets and redeposit the miles, often with a fee - check with your airline. If there's a fee, I would expect NCL to be prepared to reimburse you for this.

I'm wondering how much of any typical ship is booked out a year and a half a year in advance for suites, and regular cabins? Any travel agents have a clue?

I'm assuming a year in advance the suites have already been booked 50 percent, and regular cabins have already been booked 10 percent. Am I any where near?

Near sister ships such as the Pride of Aloha and Sun should still have plenty of cabins available, although I can see the very small number of suites being a squeeze.

I'm not so worried for the Hawaiian intineraries, NCL should be able to please most of those passengers with their three Pride ships one way or another. However, the reposition cruise is another story. With only 2000 or so passengers aboard, and using my guess of bookers already of around 150 to please, NCL should provide enough compensation for them to still enjoy a Hawaiian cruise on any of their Pride vessels. It appears that price will have to be a free flight to Hawaii. I don't think many will insist on four sea days.

I'm wondering how much of any typical ship is booked out a year and a half a year in advance for suites, and regular cabins? Any travel agents have a clue?

I'm assuming a year in advance the suites have already been booked 50 percent, and regular cabins have already been booked 10 percent. Am I any where near?

Near sister ships such as the Pride of Aloha and Sun should still have plenty of cabins available, although I can see the very small number of suites being a squeeze.

I'm not so worried for the Hawaiian intineraries, NCL should be able to please most of those passengers with their three Pride ships one way or another. However, the reposition cruise is another story. With only 2000 or so passengers aboard, and using my guess of bookers already of around 150 to please, NCL should provide enough compensation for them to still enjoy a Hawaiian cruise on any of their Pride vessels. It appears that price will have to be a free flight to Hawaii. I don't think many will insist on four sea days.

I can't give an exact figure as I have never seen it anywhere, but from experience you are pretty much on: suites for popular cruises often sell out 50% or more about a year in advance (not too much more than that). The remainder of the cabins would be sold at about 10% or less that far out. NMnita

In our case we booked a year and a half out because it was christmas week and we wanted a suite, when I last looked there were very few left- there is no way possible that they can accomodate all the suite and mini suite passangers who had already booked on the few suites available on the pride ships, a balcony cabin especially going from an 11 day to a seven day cruise is certainly not comparable. On less popular sailings it may not be such a big issue but for people wishing to go christmas week six months have now passed and the best cabins on other sailings/cruise lines are gone. Prices have gone up, which leaves us scrambling with no idea what if anything NCL plans to offer.

I just got off the phone with NCL group deptarment since I have a group sailing on the SUN out of HNL on 10/10 and at first they said it was still scheduled but when I told them about their website showing something different as well as several other booking sites, they changed their tune and said that there was a change however I would be notified of it later in the week. I guess they are trying to work out all the logistics. I will have to say that before when things have changed, they have been pretty easy to work with and have been fair in their adjustments. At least with me, they have.

Isn't it funny! I'm booked next year with a bunch of friends as well on the 10 night Fanning Island cruise. We have been waiting until the Sun takes over that run and booked immidiately for OCT31. I just got off the Pearl and had before we left the ship a SUN promotion out of Miami on my bed...:eek: ...that was my face that evening!!!

I will defenitely not sail on an NCLA ship, regardeless we wanted to see Fanning again. So far I belive we will cancel (NCL did not inform me yet of the change) and go on the Summit out of San Diego! Still no Fanning, but at least less flying and a great ship!

I will have to say that before when things have changed, they have been pretty easy to work with and have been fair in their adjustments. At least with me, they have.

I'm glad to hear that. I am so anxious to hear from them. When I compare what I paid for the Sun vs. the POA, I don't think they can "make me whole," but I'm holding my breath.:)

Archived