South Miami Best Western Hotel

Sablehrt

When taking a cruise out of Miami, FL, do NOT stay at the Best Western - South Miami!!!

We booked into the hotel for the night preceeding and following our cruise to the eastern Caribbean. We stayed there mainly because they showed free shuttle service between the air port and the hotel and the cruise ship terminal and the hotel.

When we arrived, the courtesy phone did not have the hotel displayed, however, I did have their number and phoned them on my cell (big cost for out of country calling - we're from Canada). They said that the shuttle would be out in 45 minutes. True to their word, they were there when stated, however, we found out that they are only 20 minutes away and there wasn't that much traffic on the road, nor were they that busy.

At the hotel, we had booked a king sized bed with sitting area and business desk. We were downgraded to a smaller room with two standard beds. You had to go out into the hallway to change your mind!

Well, we managed to get some sleep (despite the youth team that was staying at the hotel and had just won their championship; and the coach swearing at the kids at 2:00 in the morning for making so much noise and having the hotel staff get after him). The shuttle was not available to take us to the port until 11:30 am, but that was about the best time to arrive anyway. It gave us some time to read through emails and get things ready for the transfer to our ship. And, there was NO complementary breakfast, as advertised by the chain. Truly disappointing.

On our return, we waited almost 2 hours for the shuttle to pick us up (along with a family group of 11) in a 9 passenger mini van, while leaving the 19 passenger bus at the hotel. When we arrived, we got our prefered room this time, which made things a bit more bearable. However, when I asked to book the shuttle for a 7:00 am flight, we were informed that the shuttle didn't start until 8:00 am!!! Nor were they willing to pay the cab fare to the airport.

We called it an early night, knowing we had to be up at 4:00 am to pull everything together for our flight home. A better sleep, this time, and up at 4:00, only to find that the mere trickle of water from the shower almost allowed one to freshen up and get ready for the day.

When these issues were presented to the front desk, they were unprepared to do anything to accommodate or reconcile. I was disappointed that a member of the Best Western chain would have so little regard for its guests. Now, maybe if I spoke Spanish the service would have been better. I don't know.

Colour me jaded.

When these issues were presented to the front desk, they were unprepared to do anything to accommodate or reconcile. I was disappointed that a member of the Best Western chain would have so little regard for its guests. Now, maybe if I spoke Spanish the service would have been better. I don't know.

Colour me jaded.

Let me just say this....its not whether you speak spanish or don't speak spanish the service will be different. I am a Latin American who lives in Miami and still deal with bad service. Unfortunately its a wide spread dilemma here in South Florida that everyone that lives here will tell you that the service is terrible.

Henry,

The Best Western South Miami where we stayed was at 5959 Southwest 71 Street. At the airport, there are two Best Westerns that are listed on the courtesy phone board. That may be one of them.

Gerry

They said that the shuttle would be out in 45 minutes. True to their word, they were there when stated, however, we found out that they are only 20 minutes away and there wasn't that much traffic on the road, nor were they that busy.

The shuttle was not available to take us to the port until 11:30 am, but that was about the best time to arrive anyway.

On our return, we waited almost 2 hours for the shuttle to pick us up (along with a family group of 11) in a 9 passenger mini van, while leaving the 19 passenger bus at the hotel. When we arrived, we got our prefered room this time, which made things a bit more bearable. However, when I asked to book the shuttle for a 7:00 am flight, we were informed that the shuttle didn't start until 8:00 am!!! Nor were they willing to pay the cab fare to the airport.

Perfect example why you should never book a hotel for the free shuttle. You could have spent $50 on cabs and had a much more enjoyable experience.

My time is worth a lot.

Hi Sablehrt. I booked a bestwestern in south miami. My is at 1050 Washington Ave. Is this the same one. Thanks Henry

Maybe your Best Western is South BEACH Miami? If I recall, that is where the Best Western was located, on Washington.

Archived