Seabourn vs Regent

sailbynite

We have never sailed with Seabourn only because my partner does enjoy sitting out on the balcony. We have a few friends that have sailed Seabourn and they love it. We have heard that the food and service are top notch. When Seabourn takes delivery of their new ship's we will definitely give them a try.

Regent does have the best suites at sea. Overall we were not impressed with other aspects of our cruise.

When Seabourn takes delivery of their new ship's we will definitely give them a try.

While I love seating on a veranda, I also fell in love with the large windows and the way Seabourn has the suite setup. First the picture. :)

DSC_0375.jpg

Second the downers, if you use the veranda to sun or smoke, the Seabourn windows will not replace that.

I turned the chair facing forward and under the table are two foot stools. On the ledge I kept all my reading material. Pluses for me on the Seabourn windowed suites are:

a) The temperature is just right. :) Down in the Caribbean for my Nov cruise, it was in the upper 80s in the afternoon. If you do a Norway cruise, the outside temps can be in the 50s with wind. On my Amazon cruise on the RSSC Mariner, there was times in the afternoon the veranda was too hot.

b) OK I am a little strange single cruiser :eek: and I love my audiobooks. I plugged in my iPod to the Bose wave radio and would sit at the window watching the water go by and listen to an audiobook.

When I booked my Seabourn cruise I did not know if I would miss not having a veranda. I did not and was very happy with the Seabourn window and setup. One reason I took this picture was before my cruise I could not get a good picture of what the window on Seabourn looked like.

I drink plenty of JW Black on every Seabourn cruise I go on--I even order a bottle for the suite--no charge--I ordered it once on Silversea--we were in the Grand Suite--got Dewars--not bad Scotch--but not JW Black.

????? We've always had JW Black for the Silversea in-suite bar, and we were only in a regular balcony suite. Have never had any problem getting JW Black or single malt Scotch for the suite. Maybe a little miscommunication with the stewardess?

Will the French Balcony's suffice for one of us who is a smoker? We would love to try Seabourn. But we do need to air out the suite. I find it very tacky that a smoker does not bother to refresh their cabin in some way.

The best product that my partner has found is Oust or Frebrezze <sp?> And we are sure out cabin does not smell of smoke.

Will the French Balcony's suffice for one of us who is a smoker?

The French balcony does a very good job, if you open its door a bit. I booked my first Fr. balcony for this month's Pride week because I expected a roommate who didn't smoke, and thought it would be "easier" if I could open up the suite. The roommate didn't materialize (:eek: ) but the balcony door did it's job regardless! :)

Paul

who may try Fabreeze on his next cruise

Our french balcony on our Pride cruise in April was always littered with ashes from a smoker in a suite above, so please use an ashtray if you think of it.

Not a problem on my windowed suite in Nov. but on the RSSC Mariner and Silver Whisper, I may have borrowed one of the nice ashtrays from the pool area made to be out in the wind. :rolleyes: and took it for my veranda.

Our french balcony on our Pride cruise in April was always littered with ashes from a smoker in a suite above, so please use an ashtray if you think of it.

Paul - how do you book with the roomate option?

Matt:

Sorry I missed this question earlier:

I booked the suite as a solo. I only anticipated that a friend might join me, and that didn't happen....

(And I always use an ashtray...never flicking ashes overboard!)

Paul

Wishing to all a Happy New Year! :D (for some reason, "sizing" isn't available at the moment!)

bb thinks he will buy some gators this weekend.. but do not tell Paul :D

Your message was inteneded for Waterford, right? And you were referring to shoes? If you do buy some, another opinion of just how comfy they are would be appreciated, though I don't think we'd be able to find them out here this time of year.

Jackie

I think the lowest midship cabins on Seabourn are the most stable I've experienced on any ship (but avoid the higher forward cabins unless like to experience zero gravity in bed). In addition, a couple of the Regent ships (Navigator and Voyager) have aft vibration issues that bother many passengers.

Boy did this thread go astray while I was away! :D

Anyway, having been on multiple Seabourn and Regent cruises I believe there are huge differences between the two. While the Regent suites of all categories are very nice (and larger in most instances) the fact that you are dealing with 700+ versus 200 passengers shows in many instances...as do the public spaces, which are very ship dependent.

Without belaboring the points (unless asked), on Seabourn you almost always receive excellent service while on Regent you receive good service with (cruise dependent) excellent service sprinkled about. Dining service is, at best, courteous on Regent (and many times unpolished and rushed with little knowledge of the food or wine being served). There have also been significant language barrier issues.

While a Regent bartender or waiter may remember you and what you drink, it is the exception...which may or may not make a difference if you always go to the same venue.

In August I was told on Regent that a hamburger could not be delivered to the pool area at 7:00 pm because food could not be delivered to a public area. That would never happen on Seabourn. I brought a bottle of Regent-supplied wine to a lounge to finish (waste not, want not) and the waitress tried to charge me a corkage fee...twice in 5 minutes! On Seabourn: NEVER.

The cabin service on Seabourn is a treat, while on Regent it is uneven - ranging from excellent to horrid. To be fair, Regent had done away with a stewardess and an assistant, but have brought them back...with improved service being noted. I don't recall any "little extras" being done on any of my Regent cruises.

As far as food quality, I can't complain about either as an overall conclusion, but I find Seabourn to be more creative and the presentation far superior. Deck lunches on Regent can be difficult and uneven...with insufficient seating and table service on full cruises...but nothing to ruin a cruise or a lunch if you have a bit of patience. In other words, it wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

Also, while the information is still coming in, don't expect the same higher quality liquors to be available as "included" on Regent. Some premium brands on Regent apparently are what most Seabourners would consider

their normal drink of choice. With actual pricing being the issue, it would not sway my choice, but feeling a bit "nickeled and dimed" might be an issue for some.

Customer service: I wrote to Regent in April, have had a couple of "I don't know what happened" calls and have never had resolution for myself or my clients. I can't imagine that on Seabourn.

In short, I continue to cruise both lines, but look forward far more to my Seabourn cruises...and also the post-cruise comments from my Seabourn clients.

Archived