Seabourn vs Regent

sailbynite

I have been a loyal Regent (nee: Radisson) Seven Seas client for several years. I am looking at trying out Seabourn. I would like to know from previous cruisers of both lines their opinions of both lines.

I have never once had anything but praise for Regent. My last cruise was no exception. Unfortunately, Regent is not offering any itineraries that interest me the time of year I like to go.

Thanks for you help.... looking forward to hearing from you.

Having a 140 plus days on Seabourn and 3 Seven Seas cruises, the last being last month, I'm sure you'll enjoy Seabourn. We were very pleasantly surprised at the service on Regent and you will find Seabourn maybe even a little better service wise but not up to cabin size or quality. Go for it!

I just want to add my comments as well.

I have not sailed with Regent so I can't compare the two lines. But, I want to say that Seabourn is a very unique cruising experience as each ship carries only 200 passenger's. Because of the relatively small size of the three ships, our experience has been that cruising on Seabourn provides an opportunity for passenger's to get to know one another very well and also provides a bonding between the passenger's and the crews.

By the end of the cruise there are very few passenger's that you likely have not spoken with and what we've found is that there are many that we really get to know by meeting before dinner for drink or by sitting with at breakfast, lunch or dinner.

After just a few days, the bonding that takes place is similar to being at a country club that you have belonged to for quite some time.

What you'll find on a Seabourn ship IMHO is outstanding passenger's and crew, along with excellent to outstanding dining and service.

And everything is so easy due to the size of the ship from getting to and from you suite, to boarding and disembarking the ship, to getting personal attention. And, many times you can cruise in areas that the larger ships cannot cruise and many times dock in ports where the larger cruise ships would have to tender.

What you won't get at night is large shows. Instead, there will be a piano player and singer each evening along with some other entertainment. For example one night you might have someone performing on the piano, on another night someone singing and on another night a comedian. For this type of cruise, we find the entertainment sufficient.

I always think its good to try other cruise lines from time to time even if one is very happy with their primary cruise line. This might be the perfect opportunity for you due to the itinerary that you are interested in.

Keith

I have Seabourn first and RSSC second in the cruiselines I like.

I am a sit in my suite and watch the water go by at night person. The large windows on Seabourn work just as well as the verandas on RSSC.

I do not know how Seabourn does it, but the crew will be addressing you by last name from the first day.

And there is a lot to be said about the bonding between passengers. After a couple days you have been with all passengers at some point.

Then there is a lot of little things on Seabourn

I saw a lot of people doing special orders for meals.

The Bose CD player in your suite is nice plus if you bring the correct connector you can connect up an iPod to it. I listened to an audiobook in my suite.

The "Drug Store" is always open. You get a list of things your stewardess can get you any time of day. You do not have to wait until the store onboard is open to get (in my case) some AA batteries.

xplrcrzn

In the back of the big book that is in your suite (the one with the room service menu) they have a sheet of things you can order from your room stewardess. In my case they did not list AA batteries so I went to the purser and ask if they had them, and he pulled out of couple boxes of things and check and said yes they did. Wrote up a charge slip and I was a happy camper going off to the beach BBQ. :)

I have a good friend who sails and loves the Regent--he likes Johnnie Walker Scotch as much as I do! He said after his last Regent cruise his bill with the Purser, at the end of the cruise, was almost as much as the price of the cruise. He went with a group of 8 and picked up some pretty big tabs. I like to pay once and forget it!

LaPaloma,

In 2007 RSSC is no longer charging for drinks, BUT unless you are in an upper suite they are stopping the in-suite booze set ups.

Makes no difference for me because I do not order any booze for my suite and only had ONE Foo Foo drink in 7 days.

It was my experience that both Seabourn and RSSC did keep my wine glass full at dinner :). But again I am not a wino so all I will say is they both served wines that tasted good to me. :)

>"n 2007 RSSC is no longer charging for drinks, BUT unless you are in an upper suite they are stopping the in-suite booze set ups."

That would be fine with me on Seabourn. I have never opened a bottle and leave it in the suite. I think a small selection of the little 'airline' bottles might suffice if people would like that. And a split of champagne is enough for me.

Jane

We just returned from a 3 week trip from Sydney to Auckland, New Zealand of which two weeks were on the Regent. We are like BB, prefering Seabourn first for many of the same reasons Keith 1010 mentioned. I might add we were fortunate in meeting Keith and Anne Marie on one of SB sailings and they were most delightful. On the larger ship, such as Regent, our paths, along with many others, may not have crossed.

The other reason we prefer Seabourn is the service; personalized and special and the fact that you can go to many places where larger ships cannot go. Balcony is not an issue with us as we enjoy other lounges on the ship.

But in all fairness, our last trip on Regent was probably one of our best for that line as this was our fifth sailing with them. The hotel management was highly visible, inquiring as to how things were and they, as all the crew, were intent on making this a fine cruise for their guests. We were indeed pleased with all aspects.

We have three future trips with Seabourn and they can't come soon enough!

All are to new areas, eagerly awaiting investigation.

To be honest, as stated before, it would be very difficult to compare the two lines. Give Seabourn a try - don't compare both lines - and enjoy the wonderful experience.

We just returned from 15 days on Seabourn...our first Seabourn cruise. We've done 25 days on Radisson. We actually had another Seabourn cruise booked for April that we cancelled as soon as we got home and rebooked on Radisson. True, the service on Seabourn was excellent but the food was a hugh dissapointment. It was enough to make us decide against another Seabourn trip. I know people's experiences are different but for us, the quality of the cuisine on Radisson was so far superior that we are returning to them.

I know people's experiences are different but for us, the quality of the cuisine on Radisson was so far superior that we are returning to them.

With one exception, I would put Seabourn ahead food wise with RSSC but not by much. The one exception was the size of the lobster tail on the lobster, lobster, lobster selection. "Where is it" is what I could it's size. :D

I wouldn't advise anyone to sail Seabourn for the food. It's usually very good but rarely excellent and I think they have been coasting, food-wise, for awhile. The "sameness" becomes apparent if you sail them often--very little variety, with the Charlie Palmer menus hanging around almost as long as a United Airlines Business Class menu (and that's long!!). Tastings@2 is a welcome effort to overcome some of this but real change probably won't occur until the new ships, with their expanded facilities, come online.

Interesting about the comments on the food. Please keep in mind that this will be the OP first time on Seabourn so all of the menu items would be new for them. So, try to think about all of this as a first time Seabourn cruiser.

Again, what I would highlight about strengths for Seabourn is the unique experience that it provides given it relatively small size. To me, it provides a very unique experience in terms of the bonding that takes place with fellow passenger's and crew, the outstanding service provided by the crew, the wonderful ambience throughout the ship and the enjoyable dining experience from the food to the social aspect of the meals.

I can't stress enough about the bonding that takes place. People really go out of their way to get to know one another and take a genuine interest in their fellow passengers and crew.

This is one of the reasons that I believe it is important to sail more than one line because no matter how excellent the cruise line overtime it can sometimes get a little stale for people.

On a related note we were so very fortunate to have met dd@sea and her wonderful husband Tom on our September Seabourn Pride cruise and hope that we will sail with them again.

Keith

Keith1010 has got it right. As a frequent solo traveler, it is the passengers, staff and crew and the social interaction among all that keeps me coming back; the rest (cabins, food, etc) are a bonus. I only hope Seabourn can keep this atmosphere on the new, larger ships because the very small ship size plays a big role in making it work.

Wow - I'm surprised to read the foregoing (and relatively lukewarm) comments about Seabourn cuisine. In the pretty constant reading I've been doing of this forum since we decided to make our Seabourn debut (coming in March!), I'd gotten the impression that the food was among Seabourn's main draws. Not so??

I wonder if the OP is looking into Silversea as well, which offers those wonderful verandah suites (and JWBlack among the comp -- (ok, included) --bar offerings :p!)

Wow - I'm surprised to read the foregoing (and relatively lukewarm) comments about Seabourn cuisine. In the pretty constant reading I've been doing of this forum since we decided to make our Seabourn debut (coming in March!), I'd gotten the impression that the food was among Seabourn's main draws. Not so??

I wonder if the OP is looking into Silversea as well, which offers those wonderful verandah suites (and JWBlack among the comp -- (ok, included) --bar offerings :p!)

I drink plenty of JW Black on every Seabourn cruise I go on--I even order a bottle for the suite--no charge--I ordered it once on Silversea--we were in the Grand Suite--got Dewars--not bad Scotch--but not JW Black.

Sally, we find that food, service, the fellow passenger's and crew, and the atmosphere associated with sailing with only 200 passengers to be strengths of Seabourn. I think it is fair to say that dining (cuisine, service and conversation) is one of the highlights of sailing with Seabourn. You'll be able to judge this for yourself when you sail in March. Hopefully, you'll be equally pleased.

Keith

Food is a personal thing. I put Seabourn over RSSC and another poster puts RSSC over Seabourn. shrug.gif But I would say the biggest difference is the Seabourn service. RSSC service was not bad in the restaurant just not up to Seabourn.

If you want to special order or have a "Standing Order" Seabourn is the line for you. We have a poster on here that loves her snails and has a Standing Order for snails everynight. Pinkie is currently aboard the Pride and I am sure having her snails every night. :eek:

Both lines have had super dishes and things I will not order again. I love to try new things out on cruises, and on my Nov Seabourn I tried Buffalo, and while OK I will not order it again. :rolleyes:

Archived