Inlaid wood boxes in Baltics?

Lynn, are you talking about the ones that are made with mother of pearl? If so, then yes, you will see them everywhere, especially if you are on a private tour that visits various shops. I have two of them and just love them. If you're talking about another type of box, maybe you can post a link to a photo so that we can give more information.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Lynn, that is lovely and looks like a nice memento of your trip. I don't remember seeing anything just like that in the Baltics, but there were some inlaid wood boxes with scenes in the stores in St. Petersburg (I've been to the Baltics twice). The other style of wood boxes that you'll see in St. Petersburg features painted scenes that use mother of pearl as part of the design. I hope you find one to add to your collection.

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

I Think You Will Be Very Pleased To See The Lacquered Boxes Sold Everywhere In St. Petersburg. Many Are Quite Intricate And Artistic And Of Course The Price Varies Accordingly. I Also Got A Box In Sorrento. Mine Is Not A Scene But A Modern Design. The Lacquer Process Seems Very Similar To The Lacquer Boxes Sold In St. Petersburg. If you Like Boxes You Will Love What You Find There Since Many Are Scenes From Russian Fables Or Local Sights And Will Be A Great Momento Of Your Trip.

When I was in the Baltics two years ago, I seen similar boxes in Helsinki and Tallin, plus St. Petersburg. Of all the ports, Tallin had the best prices almost by half. So if you are also looking for nesting dolls, I suggest you wait until Tallin. You will be glad you did. The tours only take you to thier shops that offer kickbacks, so no deals there. Helsinki was a little higher in cost, but the boxes with wood top similar to yours were of better quality. They use a sort of birch or aspen type wood on a lot of things. I bought several inlaid wood items including a beautiful set of pictures with sailboats 11 X 18 framed for 80 dollars. The back lists all the different woods, and birch was the most common. One thing the RCCL Jewel had was a seminar on buying laquer and what to look for. One thing is that is should always be signed. The prices of dolls and boxes on the ship were cheaper and much higher quality than in St. Petersburg, but the sale was after we left Russia of course. Of course this was two years ago so things may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived