Computers on Volendam

Mustang349

I will be sailing on the Volendam in January. Is it worth dragging my laptop on board? I am sure it is faster than the ship's computers, but if the ship's internet connection is slow, then it probably doesn't matter how fast my laptop is?

Exactly right - it's all about how fast the actual connection is.

HAL's computers seem to be fairly new & run quite fast (it's hard to tell because the CPU's are hidden out of sight). Unless you plan to use applications that are only on your laptop, it probably isn't worth dragging it with you.

Ditto dakrewser, plus there's a few other reasons that I bring mine along: (1) on some cruises and at some times all Explorations terminals may be busy - sea days, early evenings, rainy days in port, for example. (2) I can be on-line from locations other than just the Explorations Cafe, such as the Crow's Nest or beside the Lido pool on sea days, or the Ocean Bar evenings. (3) It gives me a chance to off-load pictures from my camera, do some editing and organizing, and make back-up copies. (4) If your ship should run into a Code Red (Norovirus) problem you can feel a little safer with your own private keyboard. Or maybe they even shut down the public terminals in that situation; I don't know, because it hasn't happened to me yet.

But if you're looking for fast connections: look for cafes in ports! :)

We've taken the laptop on the last few cruises and been glad we did. My laptop case is big enough that it becomes my only carry-on. My traveling companion takes a regular carry-on and that is sufficient for both of us. On board I use the laptop for downloading photos, journaling etc. We don't use many onboard internet minutes and so far have used the ship's computers for that mostly as help has been available much of the time.

Just returned from our 12/3 cruise on the Volendam. I brought my laptop, but only used it a few times. Since I own a business, I mainly just wanted to access my e-mail. Our cabin was right over the Internet Cafe, so it was very convenient to just run down one flight of stairs, check my e-mail on there computers and grab a latte while I was there. Next time I will leave my laptop home. One less thing to carry.

i think the connection fees are outrageous ! i always have been able to find nternet connections at the port....

i think that there should be a nominal fee if you bring your own laptop.....then i would use the ship sevices. otherwise, i will seek out connections on shore.

i think the connection fees are outrageous ! i always have been able to find nternet connections at the port....

i think that there should be a nominal fee if you bring your own laptop.....then i would use the ship sevices. otherwise, i will seek out connections on shore.

You mean just because you can spend as much in 1 hour as you ordinarily would in a month at home? :D My DW would go ballistic if I wanted to use port time holed up in an I-cafe doing emails ... unless it's in a good shopping area for her!

I find if I don't buy block minutes early on in the cruise I'm much less likely to feel the "need" to go on-line as often, and have come home from cruises with less spent than if I had bought the 100 minute block.

Outrageous? Check out what a satellite uplink would cost you at home......

Dave has it right as usual.. The cost is not the computers, but the air-time and cost of maintaining the satcom equipment. I think it is fairly priced for what you get, but service is spotty. When we have experienced difficulties maintaining a connection the nice internet lounge employee always credited back an appropriate amount of minutes.

Cheers

Mark

What exactly is the charge to use the internet cafe on the Volendam?

$3.95 set-up fee, plus choice of:

$0.75 per minute, or

$55.00 for 100 minutes, or

$100.00 for 250 minutes

If you sign up for one of the package plans on the first day there is usually a bonus of 10 or 20 minutes.

Sometimes there is a small package available the last day or two. I've never used that so don't know the details.

When we have experienced difficulties maintaining a connection the nice internet lounge employee always credited back an appropriate amount of minutes.

And just how do you plead your case for that? Once when I told the I-net manager that it had taken me 30 minutes to get 1 minute's worth of work done (in Helsinki), her response was "That happens at these latitudes", with no offer of restoring any time.

Sometimes there is a small package available the last day or two. I've never used that so don't know the details.

On the Veendam a couple of weeks ago it was $8.75 for 15 minutes or $15 for 30 min.

And just how do you plead your case for that? Once when I told the I-net manager that it had taken me 30 minutes to get 1 minute's worth of work done (in Helsinki), her response was "That happens at these latitudes", with no offer of restoring any time.

snip.....

Manager was present during the entire 2 hours we were unsuccessful in connecting despite her frequent assistance. There was no way she could not acknowledge the problem. That said, either I am more persuasive or you had a less accomadating assistant.

Cheers

Mark

Archived