Sovereign of the Seas Rough Waters

ahotcouple

Hey Everyone!

We will be taking our first cruise this coming February (4 Feb 2007--4 day Bahamas Cruise) on Sovereign of the Seas and I was just wondering just how rough the seas can become on this particular itinerary (Cocoa Cay & Nassau) with The Sovereign being a medium size ship....

Has anyone that has sailed on this ship and this itinerary felt tons of movement or is it generally a smooth ride?

I realize that the weather conditions change daily, but your various experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone!

We will be taking our first cruise this coming February (4 Feb 2007--4 day Bahamas Cruise) on Sovereign of the Seas and I was just wondering just how rough the seas can become on this particular itinerary (Cocoa Cay & Nassau) with The Sovereign being a medium size ship....

Has anyone that has sailed on this ship and this itinerary felt tons of movement or is it generally a smooth ride?

I realize that the weather conditions change daily, but your various experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven't been on the SOS but I have sailed on similar ships. All cruise ships have a pretty smooth ride. The atlantic can be pretty choppy at times but even when it is rough similar size ships handle the seas pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much.

Our 1st cruise was on the Sovereign 4-day route--and it was rocky from start to finish! (I'm surprised we kept booking cruises!) Luckily, we aren't prone to motion sickness! We found that staying a bit "tipsy" was the way to go! That way, we couldn't tell if our inability to climb the stairs was due to the movement of the ship, or our inebriation!!!!

Don't worry--the ship handles well. If you're prone to seasickness, take Boning starting the day before you sail and continue throughout the trip. The route Sov. takes is rougher than some others, due to, (I think) the straights of Florida, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic all converge right where you will be. Just go and have fun! It's an adventure!

We did a Sovereign 4 night last year in late January and it was great! The seas were not at all rough. We enjoyed a perfect day on Coco Cay and in Nassau as well. I think it all probably depends on the weather.

AlphaKitty,

Do you remember what the temps were when yall where there?

We were on the Sovereign Thanksgiving cruise just as the cold front was

heading south. The captain changed our itenerary and we straight to Nassau

even calling ahead and getting permission to dock at 5:00pm Tues. instead

of 7:00 Wed. as norma. We stayed in Nassau until our regular departure time

10:00 Wed. night, then did Coco-Cay. So believe me if gets to rough

the Captain will go on to Nassau if he can. The ship really is smooth

riding though. Have fun!!!

We were on the Sovereign Nov 3 - 6. We had very strong winds (one announcement stated over 40 knots) and rough seas. You felt the movement of the ship as we hit the waves and in the wind. Walking on the uppermost deck was scary and very difficult. For safety reasons, some of the doors out to the decks were blocked off with caution tape - opening some of the doors was almost impossible. A tug had to push us out of Port Canaveral and we didn't get to Nassau until approx. 4pm. My DH was almost rolled out of his bed (he had the twin running parallel to the window) the first night. We were on the "tween" deck (deck 6).We missed CoCo Cay all together.

The pools became wave pools and had to be closed for safety. They collected all the deck chairs that were not occupied to keep them from flying around (no chair hogs with towels on our cruise). Cruise staff would place chairs out for people when they wanted to layout by the pools. We still had a blast on the trip. We enjoyed the unplanned sea day and made the most of it. Watching the horizon with the ship's antenna as a reference was an unforgettable experience. Many people we not feeling too well Friday night and you walked like you were drunk when completely sober. I have a very funny picture of my DD's ponytail flying straight up in the wind.

Others have said the same thing that cb at sea noted - going out of Canaveral you pass through the gulf steam that always makes for a little rough ride during that section. Don't be too worried - have motion sickness meds in case you need them and make the best of what happens.

Was so sick on SOS 2 years ago in November. had to be hospitalized and some of the nurses were also unavailable. This time (Nov 6) took Bonine ahead of time, stayed on ginger, and had sea bands. Had no idea that people had really suffered on the first night.Experienced the "fun" of the ship rocking and none of the nausea. I suggest that you buy everything there is to take and use it!

I was on Sovereign Dec. 8th and seas were fairly rough. We did not get to stop at CocoCay, and as someone else mentioned, caution tape was put up in front of some doors. I used the patch behind my ear (this was my first cruise) and other than side effects from the patch (dry mouth), I was fine. It was a fun cruise and I enjoyed every moment.

Archived