weather

i'm sure others have asked this, but if so......i can't find it. my husband and i are considering a cruise to the mediterranean sept or oct of 2007. what will the weather be like that time of year and also..........will it be worth having a balcony cabin based on the weather? that's what we had planned, but if it's cold out.............is it worth it???

i really appreciate all the comments.

Overall, we thought the weather was wonderful in September and October. It was still comfortable (warm but not hot) in the ports that we visited, without the strong heat and humidity that you'll find in the summer. Also, it was less crowded other than Venice which is always crowded with the exception of around December until February. I highly recommend this time frame for a Med cruise.

Keith

Being European and a frequent Med visitor (3 times a year), my opinion after 25 years experience about the weather is:

May: weather can be good, but there is a big chance to get low temperatures (20 degrees C), clouds and some rain. It's springtime, lot of beaufitul flowers.

June/First 3 weeks of July): Weather is getting hotter (25-30 C), sunny, less clouds, more sunhours. The characteristic is "stable weather".

Last week of July/first 2 weeks of August: This period can cause a lot of floods due to heavy rain and winds (called Mistral) from Barcelona to Villefranche. Also the Greece islands can get hit very hard (called Meltemi). This occurs every year, so it's hit or miss when you cruise during this period. The temperature will raise to 30-35 degrees Celsius. This period is very unstable.

Last 2 weeks of August/September: Temperature is getting lower (25-30 C), weather is stable. Little chance of winds and rain. When there is some rain, it's mostly for a short time.

October/November: Weather can get very cool (18-23 C), cloudy and rainy. The wind can be very bad in this period. These months are hit or miss. Days are getting shorter and shorter.

My best period?

The most stable months with very less rain, clouds and winds (and cancelled ports) is the second half of August and the whole month of September. After this period it's hit or miss. Temperatures can get hot in August. I prefer nice and warm/hot weather, so it's a very personal opinion. I hope that someone will keep my post in mind when planning a cruise.

You can expect choppy waters and cool temperatures (20-22 degrees C)at the transatlantic side of Portugal. Temperatures will getting higher if you reach Spain, Italy and Turkey. The mediterrenean sea will be calm. You can better cruise in April-May than in October-November, because of the heavy winds and less sunhours. The springmonths are beautiful, unfortunately due to the rain, but mainly at night. If you don't like hot temperatures, this is your period. Be aware that a lot of shops will be closed in some ports, because it's off-season.

Sheik:

Dank U Zeer!

This is great news! Not hot; Mediterranean calm.

We've had too many hot weather cruises lately and would really like cooler weather, so this seems to fit the bill.

We hope it doesn't rain the whole time, but we will be prepared.

Again, thanks.

We did a transatlantic cruise from Rome in late September. We spent 4 days in Rome for pre-cruise from Sept 24 to Sept 28. Temps were in the mid/high 70s with one day of heavy rain. From there we went to Livorno, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Valencia and Cadiz. Temps remained in the mid to high 70s for day time highs. It was a bit humid but not uncomfortable. Coming from the desert, even moderate humidity is noticeable to us. In short, it was very nice weather and temperatures in late September and very early October. Hope this helps!

Bill S, weather is ok late september, I completely agree with you. You can get serious storms medio October so keep that in mind when planning a cruise.

Oh and CoconutFish...graag gedaan hoor. My family lives in Vancouver and I looooooooove that city SOO MUCH! I'm a huge fan of BC and Alberta. Canada and The Netherlands always have a special relationship and we're proud of that.

A few years ago we cruised from Istanbul to Athens in early June.

That year it was cold in Istanbul, we needed jackets.

Also the next day was still very cool.

After that the weather improved.

As with most weather reports....you have to wait and see.

Sheik, prettige kerstdagen.

Archived