If you only had $100

for excursions total for jamaica, Caymen adn Cozumel....what would you do or see?

If you are going to Montego Bay, I would highly suggest spending the day at Sunset Beach resort. It is a 5 minute taxi ride from the port and it cost $40 for the day including all alcoholic beverages and lunch....:)

www.sunsetbeachresort.com

Do the short stingray city/snorkel with Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman. The short tour is $35 and the 1/2 day is $40. As the previous poster said, do sunset beach in Jamaica or just take a cab to Margaritaville. They have a free water park with slide and it was a ton of fun. And in cozumel, just have a few drinks and do some shopping.

As we did this itinerary on Rhapsody this summer, and just booked it again - this is an easy question.

Grand Cayman - Take a shuttle to 7 mile beach. $4.00 each way/pp. The shuttle will drop you at a nice spot. Have a late breakfast before you go and skip the meal in Grand Cayman as prices are high. The beach is beautiful, and that's why you're there, right?

Jamaica - Print off the free coupon for a margarita at Margaritiville. Short walk from the peir, they have a pool, slide and jacuzzi. Small beach, but lots of shopping and bargaining.

Cozumel, Take a taxi to Paradise Beach ($15 each way for a taxi that seats 4). No entrance fee, complimentary lounge chair and umbrella (if you buy a drink/snack). Best guacamole! Ask for Tom!

So, yes, you can do this for under $100, depending on your shopping/drinking habits. Skip the ship excursions and have a blast.

You should also check out the ports of call pages for more info on any of these ports.

Have Fun!!

Jamaica - Print off the free coupon for a margarita at Margaritiville. Short walk from the peir, they have a pool, slide and jacuzzi. Small beach, but lots of shopping and bargaining.

Depends on where in Jamaica. In Mo Bay, it is not a short walk from the pier and it is not a safe walk either. It is quite a distance from the pier and it was, if I remember correctly, $10 PER PERSON or more to take a 'cab'.

If in Ocho Rios, I say find a way to Do Dunns Rivers Falls. Its definitly one of the cooler things around even if it is a little bit overpopulated and overpriced. Im sure there are other ways to do it then the expensive cruise ship excursions (unless you are in montego bay....if thats the case...skip it)

I agree, Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios - it was really beautiful & different.

Grand Cayman - a restaurant called Paradise. Within walking distance from pier near Hard Rock. It's a small restaurant/bar on the water with an outdoor covered area with tables. Also a small beach & you can snorkle for free if you have your own equipment & buy a drink and/or food. They also rent snorkle equipment there. DH snorkled there a couple of weeks ago & saw lots of fish, including very large ones right off the beach. I sat & watched while enjoying a great marguerita. I could see the large fish from where I sat. Food's good too.

Cozumel - Paradise Beach is great. Just the cost of a cab ride $12-$15 & admission is free. Good service, food and drinks. They like you to purchase a drink to use their chairs/umbrellas.

Have a great trip!

Ocho Rios def do dunns river falls if you can in the morning and then

Margartaville in the afternoon. Just dont site see it's depressing.

Grand Cayman-Captain Marvins half day swim with the stingray and snorkel book it on your own.

Cozumel taxi to Mr Sanchez beach culb for some fun in the sun on the beach and then shopping in the afternoon.

Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios (aprox $35pp through Peat Taylor or similar tour), Snorkle for free at Eden Rock in GC (just the cost of gear rental if you need to rent), and either Chankannab Park or Paradise beach in Cozumel (aprox $40pp includes cab, admission to Chankannab, or a minimum food/drink purchase at Paradise) . They can all be done as independantly booked tours or on your own.

In all seriousness, if I only had $100 for excursions for THREE ISLANDS, I'd have a yard sale or put some stuff on ebay to raise more cash. You don't get to visit these places often in your life, and it's a shame not to be able to do what you want to do.

Mrs Pete took the words right out of my mouth.

I would tell you to stay home if you could not enjoy the ports. Please don’t try to cruise until you can really afford it. You will enjoy your self more if you wait until you can do what you want without having to be in an extreme budget.

The cruise lines make the cruises so reasonable – but most folks forget that the cruise fare is often the smallest part of the vacation dollar.

Marci

Having been to all of these places five times (three times this past year alone), Grand Cayman went from my favorite to my least favorite of the three ports. WAY too crowded, and once you've seen the turtles, stingrays, and 7 mile beach, you've "done" it. :)

If the Jamaica stop is MoBay, I'd be inclined to use the lion's share of the whole budget on the Original Canopy Tour (zipline). Hands down the best money I've ever spent on an excursion!!!

T

I have heard that before, care to elaborate? I'm not against staying on the ship for one port day on our next cruise to enjoy shorter lines for things like the rockwall.

not mine to elaborate, but I am chiming in to agree. Mo-Bay is not a place you can walk from, lots of security and razor wire/barbed wire surrounding the port must be for a good reason, it is a congested area, and the first half hour of our excursion was spent in local traffic on the one main road on that side of the island. though the interior of the island was lush when we got there, we agreed we were in no hurry to go back, and we now consider a jamaica stop on an itinerary a negative when comparing possible cruises.

compared to the nice welcoming scene at st. thomas or st. maarten or cozumel or costa maya or even after a bouncy tender to grand cayman, mo-bay ranks as our least favorite caribbean stop among our cruises. so yes, if we end up back there, will stay on the ship (as we do in nassau about half the time)

Its not that we don't have the money, we are just trying to limit so we have money to spend on shopping and stuff. I just meant for the actual excursion... i figured most of them were between 30 and 60 dollars so i could get at least 2 in, just wanted to see what were the best bang for my buck! :)

Last year we did one excursion . Dunns river falls in Ocho rios and then stopped at Margaritaville on way back to ship .Grand Cayman was not in good shape recovering from hurricane walked awhile and went back to ship early.Cozumel we decided to walk to Chakunab Park about 4 miles but you walk along the road by ocean for a while it took us about an hour ,we took taxi back. Park was great nice and clean we ate at beach cafe not expensive watched the Dolphins walked the beach when we got back to dock had drinks at Senor frogs [did not do the shots, my sun did LOL] did not have to spend much and had a great time. Montego bay is a dirty unsafe place we stayed at an all inclusive in Jamaica went to Margaritaville one night did not feel comfortable in Mo bay.

Archived