HAL now offering onboard future cruises for $100 pp deposit

Charliesmom

While we were on the Veendam, we were able to book a future cruise for $100 pp deposit. The onboard credits for doing so are not quite as rich as those from Princess. In order to get a $100 pp shipboard credit, you have to book a cruise of 15 days or longer (I think).

We had misplaced our letter from the future cruise consultant, so I don't have the exact shipboard credits. I called HAL today and the Guest Relations person was able to look up the number of our future cruise credit. She told me that they are tied into your Mariner number.

This is a brand new effort by HAL to pump up sales. We did not book a specific cruise. We just have to choose a sailing within 4 years.

Thought you would all like to know.

Roberta

While we were on the Veendam, we were able to book a future cruise for $100 pp deposit. The onboard credits for doing so are not quite as rich as those from Princess. In order to get a $100 pp shipboard credit, you have to book a cruise of 15 days or longer (I think).

We had misplaced our letter from the future cruise consultant, so I don't have the exact shipboard credits. I called HAL today and the Guest Relations person was able to look up the number of our future cruise credit. She told me that they are tied into your Mariner number.

This is a brand new effort by HAL to pump up sales. We did not book a specific cruise. We just have to choose a sailing within 4 years.

Roberta

I think I could have done that when I was on the Oosterdam. I forgot about the 4 year window to choose a cruise. There is a good chance I will be on HAL sometime in the next 4 years and that $100 deposit is a great deal. Princess is doing that a lot...even from home. Nice not to tie up a large deposit for a long time.

Wished I'd looked into that on the last cruise.:(

Roberta, it is my understanding that all cruises will qualify for the reduced deposit of $100 per person while booked on board thru the Future Cruise Consultant. But then I could be wrong it would not be the first time.

OK I just reread information I had and it does not state anything about length of cruise so I am pretty sure it is for all cruises.

Roberta

:) Hi:

Thank you for the info! I will remember this when I am on my next (HAL) cruise; Amsterdam - Trans Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver, April 30, 2007!

Happy Cruising!

So let me get this straight:

You give HAL $100. If you then take a cruise of 15 days or more within 4 years, they give you a credit of $100 - is that it?

I think my $100 would be better off in my savings account, even at 2% APY!

So let me get this straight:

You give HAL $100. If you then take a cruise of 15 days or more within 4 years, they give you a credit of $100 - is that it?

I think my $100 would be better off in my savings account, even at 2% APY!

Dave, if you know you want to book a future cruise while you are on a cruise this is a great opportunity. The $100 perperson is your deposit rather than the deposit you would normally while on a cruise or to your TA. In the past when you booked a future cruise you woul have to pay the normal deposit $350 per per person for a 7 day cruise, holiday and 10 or more day cruises $600 per person, etc but your total deposit is only $100 per person plus since you booked on board the ship you will receive additional ship board credit based on the length of cruise and cabin category. To me this is a great deal. We like to book our cruise many months in advance by doing this I am now keeping more money in my savings so I can earn more interest and HAL is getting me ship board credit. In turn the booking gets transferred to my TA, she gets credit and will then give me her pricing.. Personally I think this is the only way to book a cruise for those who cruise frequently. Plus with this ship board credit I have had no problem receiving my CCL Stock credit.:)

I got a letter in the mail today from a mag that I subscribe to. Apparently my subscription has run out and I did not take advantage of any of the 87 other offers they gave me. This time, they allowed me to renew at a price I thought the subscription was worth and write it in on the order form. And yeah, I renewed and probably saved $2.00. It's smart marketing. So is the $100 cruise deposit.

NOT ! we were aboard the Amsterdam last week and the future cruise consultant wanted $700 for a deposit on an Alaksan cruise for May ! we didnt book it, as that ties up a considerable amt...and we werent sure that dates would work for us. she never even got back to me while on board to price another room category ! and the shipboard credit would have only been $50 for us. i was not impressed !

will give business to our online agent.....

NOT ! we were aboard the Amsterdam last week and the future cruise consultant wanted $700 for a deposit on an Alaksan cruise for May ! we didnt book it, as that ties up a considerable amt...and we werent sure that dates would work for us. she never even got back to me while on board to price another room category ! and the shipboard credit would have only been $50 for us. i was not impressed !

will give business to our online agent.....

Pam, this promotion is just starting and I actually thought it was not starting till the first of the year. I would guess that they had not implemented it yet with your Cruise Consultant. The end of September I booked 3 cruises while on board and tied up $2100. That was a large chucnk of money to pay especially since I had just paid off my 10 day November cruise. The only good thing is that when I do pay off each cruise it will not be as high as if I had only paid $100:D

Obviously this has only just started as it wasn't mentioned to us by the Cruise Consultant when we were on the Veendam 5 or 6 weeks ago. I remember that last year we had to pay out over $1200p.p. deposit when we booked our 34 day cruise with the Cruise Consultant on board the Maasdam in July, 2005.

Princess has offered this service for a number of years now and it is a good way for the cruise lines to gain extra business as $100p.p. is not a lot to tie up and yet you can use it to book any cruise within four years.

It makes for good business sense.

Jennie

Cruise Consultants should now be on all HAL sailings at this time. This has just occurred in the month of December. It was also my understanding that the reduced deposit of $100 per person was for all cruises. I am sure there could be exceptions like a World Cruise. It was also my understanding that the reduced deposit was not being offer till after the first of the year. But it sounds like some are already offering it.

Perhaps I was not clear. The $100 per person deposit is for any cruise, as long as you book it on board. They extend it to future cruises that have not been chosen, with a window of 4 years. The onboard credit is variable depending on your accommodations and length of cruise. I forget what the exact requirements and numbers are on this.

They also said that you could use your own travel agent. The FCC asked who our agent was.

From what others have written, like many other things on HAL, it takes some time to percolate through the system. It was news to the Guest Relations person with whom I spoke, but she was able to find it in the computer.

If, in the future, you want to book a cruise while on board, have them check out the $100 per person deposit. I thought they were borrowing a good idea from Princess, who have done this for years. I always have a future cruise deposited with them which I get each time I am on board.

Roberta

Hi Everyone,

I Booked for the 10 day Volendam Panama Canal next December 3rd whilst on the Zuiderdam on the 7th December this year. I paid $1200 deposit with the remainder due next September. The FCC did not mention anything about a $100 Deposit.

The onboard credit from memory that was offered is:

7 Days $25 each

10 Days $35 Each

Over 14 Days $50 each

For our 10 day the invoice showed $70 credit.

When I returned to the UK I phoned our US TA and asked if they wanted to pick up the booking and they promptly reduced the cost by over $400. I had no problem paying the $1200 and offered to pay more as the exchange rate for us in the UK against the dollar is very favourable:D . The FCC said HAL did not want to do this.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Perhaps I was not clear. The $100 per person deposit is for any cruise, as long as you book it on board. They extend it to future cruises that have not been chosen, with a window of 4 years. The onboard credit is variable depending on your accommodations and length of cruise. I forget what the exact requirements and numbers are on this.

They also said that you could use your own travel agent. The FCC asked who our agent was.

From what others have written, like many other things on HAL, it takes some time to percolate through the system. It was news to the Guest Relations person with whom I spoke, but she was able to find it in the computer.

If, in the future, you want to book a cruise while on board, have them check out the $100 per person deposit. I thought they were borrowing a good idea from Princess, who have done this for years. I always have a future cruise deposited with them which I get each time I am on board.

Roberta

I got your point immediately...I thought you were clear.:)

Not sure how we veered off on to ship board credits.:confused:

Valerie, that is good to know:) So that does mean that all cruises wil have the $100 deposit. What I had heard was all but thought possibly they would require a bigger deposit for the World Cruise.

I personally think this is a great move for HAL but there is a lsight down side and that is when you have to make final payment:o That will be a lot more. But if you just consider that you are keeping more of your money in the bank and earnig interest you are ahead. One must be disciplined with their savings for a cruise:D

We booked our 'Spamdam' group cruise for this past October while on an Alaskan cruise in May '05 due to the special offer flyer we received in our cabin. We had a lower deposit than the group originally had and were to have received a $100pp shipboard credit while on the Hawaii cruise (15 days, outside cabin). After getting home we transfer our booking to the CC agent handling the group.

The last night on the Hawaii cruise, while clearing out our cabin safe, I came across the paper from the Alaskan cruise that advertized the onboard booking and promising our $100pp shipboard credit on the future cruise. Our statment only had $50pp credit. I immediately went to the front desk to straighten it out. I showed the clerk our statement and the flyer from HAL. She VERY condenscendingly pointed to the $50 on DH's statement and then to the $50 on my statement and informed me that it DID add up to $100. I showed her again that the flyer promised $100 PER PERSON for 15 days in our category.

She changed from her condenscending attitude to snippy and said that she couldn't do anything for me and that Seattle was closed. I would have to 'take it up with Seattle' after getting home - gee, I thought it was better to take care of things when the problem arose (and I had the original flyer in hand in front of her, complete with my booking notes). She then asked me if I was satisfied :confused: . Well, NO. Since it was obvious I wasn't going to get satisfaction from her, I just went back to packing. I haven't taken it up with Seattle as the whole situation just makes me mad.

The point of all this, do NOT count on any shipboard credits promised - even if you have the documentation.

We do have another cruise booked on HAL, but between this and their 'improvements'/changes, all bets are off for any future loyality.

Archived