Question of the day:

On your next cruise:

When you see someone drinking a soda will you-

A-wonder if they bought it

B-shared/stole it

C-think of this thread

or

D-not give it another thought and enjoy your vacation

I take my own cokes. Two or three 12 packs in cans in a small suitcase. If I don't have a refrigerator, I use the ice bucket to cool them. I set them out in the open in my room, and the cabin attendant brings me ice when I run out. Is that a problem?

I also bring my own camera. I don't buy pictures from the ship. Same thing, isn't it? I bring chewing gum and aspirin, don't buy it from the ship's stores.

Let's see. One year later. Still goin' strong. :eek:

Question of the day:

On your next cruise:

B-shared/stole it

C-think of this thread

or

I'll ask them if they have a soda card I could use.

Let's see. One year later. Still goin' strong. :eek:

Question of the day:

On your next cruise:

B-shared/stole it

C-think of this thread

or

D! :D

You obviously have never tended bar before... or know anything about the bar business...

I don't know why people resort to this sort of posting style; I really do try to avoid it.

There are morality factors involved with many of the decisions we make every day, which is why I don't understand the overly-righteous posting on soda threads in particular.

Morality concerns what is right and wrong, and this also includes how we post to each other on these boards.

I got a soda card on our last cruise. I never drink soda with dinner. Usually just water and wine. My partner did not get a card, but at dinner he always drinks soda. I showed my card to the waiter and asked if my partner could use it at dinner since I didn't and he brought him a coke every night without even batting an eye.

That's because since they work on tips, they don't want to upset you as the customer.....

I got a soda card on our last cruise. I never drink soda with dinner. Usually just water and wine. My partner did not get a card, but at dinner he always drinks soda. I showed my card to the waiter and asked if my partner could use it at dinner since I didn't and he brought him a coke every night without even batting an eye. At the pools and such, I would get one soda, and we would share it. Just like if I bought a soda at a restaurant and chose to share it with him. I never gave him my card to get a coke, unless he was getting a coke for me. I think this way of sharing is okay. I can choose to share my drinks with whoever I want. And long as we are only getting one at a time I think its okay. Enjoy!

Oh? I was under the impression that many thought that this was their lot in these boards.

Now, can we move on to more interesting topics, like misbehaving children, chair hogs, or inappropriate gas release....

:cool:

Inappropriate gas release? That's awesome! I also prefer the term methanuous discharges.

As a bartender/server... and someone with about 20 years experience in the food/bar industry... allow me to explain "free drinks"...

marci22 states that bartenders are "bribed" into giving free drinks or patrons are accepting "stolen drinks"... that's just not how it works nor is it how it is perceived in the business... this isn't a question of morality, it is a business issue...

Perhaps it would make sense to you to think of it as a "comp"...

Frequently, a bartender will "reward" a good customer by offering them a drink "on the house".... this is an expense which is well known to the business and is in fact expected to occur and accounted for in their food/beverage cost forecasts... you might say that this is part of the liquor "markup"...

The idea is that this promotes goodwill with the customer and encourages repeat businesss...

It is, in fact, quite similar to the concept of offering OBC for booking a cruise while on board... or offering credit card reward points when you spend a certain amount of money... or offering you a gift certificate for your patronage to a certain store... Businesses frequently offer their customers "something for nothing" as a reward for patronage...

There is no stealing involved here folks... in layman's terms, this is just good customer service...

Quite frankly, as someone who works in this industry, I was offended by the insinuation that a bartender giving free drinks has something to do with morality... because it doesn't... it has everything to do with good business practices and customer service...

This concludes your business lesson for the day...:)

As a bartender/server... and someone with about 20 years experience in the food/bar industry... allow me to explain "free drinks"...

marci22 states that bartenders are "bribed" into giving free drinks or patrons are accepting "stolen drinks"... that's just not how it works nor is it how it is perceived in the business... this isn't a question of morality, it is a business issue...

Perhaps it would make sense to you to think of it as a "comp"...

Frequently, a bartender will "reward" a good customer by offering them a drink "on the house".... this is an expense which is well known to the business and is in fact expected to occur and accounted for in their food/beverage cost forecasts... you might say that this is part of the liquor "markup"...

The idea is that this promotes goodwill with the customer and encourages repeat businesss...

It is, in fact, quite similar to the concept of offering OBC for booking a cruise while on board... or offering credit card reward points when you spend a certain amount of money... or offering you a gift certificate for your patronage to a certain store... Businesses frequently offer their customers "something for nothing" as a reward for patronage...

There is no stealing involved here folks... in layman's terms, this is just good customer service...

Quite frankly, as someone who works in this industry, I was offended by the insinuation that a bartender giving free drinks has something to do with morality... because it doesn't... it has everything to do with good business practices and customer service...

This concludes your business lesson for the day...:)

In simpler language it is called a "buy back." Or "BB" for short!

Usually every 3rd or 4th drink is a double "B". Depending on the establishment.

What would Jesus Do?

He'd turn all the water on the ship into soda. No probably not.

I'm thinking he'd probably tell us all to stay home and take the money we would've spent on that expensive fun filled cruise and give it to the poor and needy.

More than ONE person using a Coke card in ANY way is THEFT OF SERVICES. Period, THE END!

No exceptions, no wiggle room, no one time "I needed to take my pill" exemptions!

One Coke card for one person!

Nuff said!

Seriously? Give me a break! I do believe cards are one per person BUT if someone in my party who didn't have a soda card needed a sip because they were thirsty or had something caught in their throat or needed to swallow a pill I would give them a sip without a second thought and have no guilt as none would be needed. I mean if you are out on a deck away from a service area to get a drink and someone started coughing and needed a drink to settle their coughing until they could get a drink themselves you would really stand there and say "i do wish I could help you but this is for me only"... um, ok!

So this is where all the cranky cruise people hang out when they're not on the ship! If they're not in front of me in line at the concierge desk, whining and/or yelling about something trivial, they're at home getting all steamed up to tell me sharing my coke makes me a hard core criminal. I see....

I can't believe all the hoopla over a soda card question. I got the soda card about 2 cruises ago. Yes it was a mistake there's no way i could get my money's worth. I thought the cup they gave you was so tiny that you found yourself getting it refilled constantly . Now did I share , of course , not to the point were i was sneaking around trying to score two drinks at one. But if I brought a full cup up to my room and my DH took a drink I wasn't going to call security. That's insane. RCCL made their money on me so a few sips or a glass of soda isn't the end of the world. I'm really shocked on how people are acting , a little over the top for soda sharing. I mean not everyone at every moment follows rules or laws. Not even the perfect person goes the speed limit. And if rccl was so concerned about it they would be stricter about it. Watching every move etc...

There is a big difference between giving someone a sip of your soda and sharing one card. If you buy a card knowing you are going to get sodas for more than one person then yes it is wrong. If you buy a soda card and someone sips out of it for what ever secondary reason then I don't see a problem.

Archived