Sharing a soda card

We just got back from Splendour. My partner and I each bought a soda card. Most of the time when one of us showed our card, the waiter never wanted to see the other. I guess they just assumed that we were honest.

To answer the OP, I don't think they are strict on them at all. Also, it is not my job or anyone elses to dispense morality to you or anyone else on these boards, and it is actually pretty entertaining to watch those who think they have that right. LOL

There are also those that will tell you that it is disgusting to drink that many soda's to make it worth the cost. ( keep in mind they will be holding a beer, margarita, pina colada etc. in thier hand while telling you this ) Don't get me wrong its a vacation, and I tend to drink a lot more soda on vacation then I do at home, and I assume the alcohol consumers do as well. Nothing wrong with it.

Last observation... I think the soda card is worth the cost. Even if you don't drink quite enough to make it a huge savings, it is certainly much more convenient, meaning no signing, and giving your card with each request of a soda.

-Mike

My sister met someone halfway through the cruise who kept going to the desk and saying he lost his card and getting new seapasses with the unlimited soft drink sticker. By the last day 4 or 5 people had a copy of his seapass and were using it to get free drinks.

LMBO, your age is showing...:rolleyes: :confused:

###

>>dangerouslymoody>> simply put, I am like you and I agree with several of the posters in here...to each their own. I like an occasional soda and I just pop the one in my room and post it to my account...otherwise, drink lemonade or tea...at $42/week you would have to gulp down a lot of coke to make it worth the money...never had it....never will!

Also, it is not ... anyone elses [job] to dispense morality to you or anyone else on these boards....

Oh? I was under the impression that many thought that this was their lot in these boards.

Now, can we move on to more interesting topics, like misbehaving children, chair hogs, or inappropriate gas release....

:cool:

Share a soda card...next thing you know you'll want to share the dining charge and split the plates at Chops or Portifino's!!

Sorry, I think its wrong plus it's tacky and cheap!!:eek:

Though I have not done this on the ship (because hubby does not sail with us) Many times my husband and I go to an upper class restraunt and order one meal and share it.. sometimes order one extra side item and we have plenty to eat between the two of us.

My DH is a heavy soda drinker. I am a moderate one.

Our solution is to buy DH a soda card. I will drink tea. However, since I do enjoy the occasional soda (and because of the rumor of difficulty getting coke in the morning....) we will bring a 12 pack of soda in our luggage. We will keep a couple on ice at all times.

Question: is hot tea or hot cocoa available? any extra charge for these?

Oh? I was under the impression that many thought that this was their lot in these boards.

Now, can we move on to more interesting topics, like misbehaving children, chair hogs, or inappropriate gas release....

:cool:

Heyy I wasnt saying it was my job either.

Though I have not done this on the ship (because hubby does not sail with us) Many times my husband and I go to an upper class restraunt and order one meal and share it.. sometimes order one extra side item and we have plenty to eat between the two of us.

I will say it again, there is a difference in sharing a paid for meal and a something that gives you unlimited items for ONE person like soda or buffet food.

If I go to a restaurant and order a meal I get a dish foll of food and I pay for it, I can feed as many people with this I like to as the person who sold it to me gave me a certain amount of food for my money and this won´t expand if I feed other people with it as well.

Same is with buying a drink at a bar.

Now when I go to an all you can eat buffet the amount of food I get from it is driven by the fact how much I can eat. It´s for one person only and can´t be shared, as sharing would extend the amount of food consumed to two people. This is the rule and it doesn´t matter that maybe me and my partner eat even lsee together than someone else would eat alone.

Just think why even in upper class restaurants you can get your leftovers wrapped and take home, though this would never happen in an all you can eat venue.:rolleyes:

Shouldn´t be that hard to understand.

I know all this discussion won´t stop people from sharing and they won´t be convinced about their wrong doing, however it amuses me to see how those people keep justifying their theft.

Would be interested to see if those people would still defend if a person steals items from an upscale shop by saying, oh that shop charges such outrageous prices, their benefit is much too high on those items, they already built in the potential theft in their original price, their employees even don´t care if I walk out without paying......:rolleyes:

It's pretty easy to realize they soda cards are not for sharing, hence the sticker on your seapass card. If they were meant to be shared, they would put a sticker on all your cards.

If you buy individual sodas they are sold by the can, if you get the sticker, you get fountain soda. The cans are much better and worth the money.

Question: is hot tea or hot cocoa available? any extra charge for these?

Hot tea is always available for free. Coffee, ice tea, lemonade are also free, but since I'm not a hot cocoa drinker I'm not sure about that.

I tried to resist posting to this thread......reall I did. The soda sticker is for the sole use of the person to who's seapass card it is affixed. Many people have already said that. Not an opinion; a fact. The only opinions offered are whether it is "okay" to share. No, it's not "okay" but you may get away with it. Doesn't make it okay. (And no, speeding is NOT okay, but people do get away with it - again, not "okay" but gotten away with on occasion.)

The only thing I have to add that no one has said, is this - why not make the soda stickers work like those prepaid calling cards? Pay for a certain amount and when it's used up, it's used up. And like those minutes, you could get more for less, KWIM? Then you can get cokes for everyone at the pool if you want, but when you use up what you paid for, you use it up! I seem to recall it worked this way for game tokens in the arcade. I may not remember right, but I thought I was able to pre-pay a certain amount my son could use to purchase those tokens and he could use it all in one visit or spread it out. I think it worked that way, anyway.

It's pretty easy to realize they soda cards are not for sharing, hence the sticker on your seapass card. If they were meant to be shared, they would put a sticker on all your cards.

If you buy individual sodas they are sold by the can, if you get the sticker, you get fountain soda. The cans are much better and worth the money.

Eww, I totally disagree LOL. Fountain soda's taste way better than a can, IMO. I see comments made about watered down soda, and the fountain soda was great on board the Splendour. It only got watered down if it sat in the ice for too long. I think this is the first place I have seen people say that a can is better than a fountain drink.

Maybe, it is just me.

-Mike

The only thing I have to add that no one has said, is this - why not make the soda stickers work like those prepaid calling cards? Pay for a certain amount and when it's used up, it's used up.

Because the hole point of the program is that if you buy the sticker you can drink as much as you want. Your suggestion is equivelent to having a DISCOUNT per soda. It is like buying subway tokens. You pay less per ride for a limitied numer of rides. Whereas, with a pass you ride as much as you want over a finite time period.

Yeah......so? That's a bad thing?

Did I say it was bad? It is not what the sticker program is about was my point. Nothing more and nothing less. The tread is about sharing a sticker not redesigning the program.

AND, on second thought, if you are a person that drinks a lot of soda the answer to your question is....Yes, that's a bad thing.

First off let me say that I simply do not care. I don't get soda cards, and the whole morality issue in this debate isn't terribly compelling IMO..

Just to throw a wrench in the morality argument though: Consider a hypothetical situation where you have 2 occasional to moderate soda drinkers sharing 1 card.

(1) take the cost of the soda card and divide it up into how many sodas what would be worth based on their per-can charge (I do buy soda by the can usually).

(2) Then realize even THAT isn't accurate, because they're serving you fountain soda (cheaper), and also consider that the cost of a can of soda produces an exorbitant profit for the cruise line in the first place... but lets pretend that doesn't matter and divide up the cost anyway.

(3) If you realize that the amount of soda consumed between the two people for the trip falls LESS than the amount of soda entitled by the amount paid for the card, then I see no problem... or even if it's roughly equivelant or slightly more for that matter.

I'm sure 12 people will reply 'but it's the spirit of the whole thing, it's stealing'... haha go ahead. My reply is it's the spirit of economics. You pay for a product (or in this case, a certain quantity of a product), and if you don't exceed what you paid for then it's not theft.

Yes, some people will share a card between an entire family or between several heavy soda drinkers, but that's for them to live with, not for YOU to criticize on a cruise board. So many people come onto this board and ask a simple question and get hammered by the MORALITY POLICE. If you don't approve of what they're doing, then by all means follow the "rules" yourself on the ship, as I personally choose to.

So actually, we agree. Sharing a soda sticker is wrong. If it's important enough to the cruise lines, though, to stop the practice (and increase their profits) they would have to redesign the program. Not a "bad" thing, but not something I want to see happen either.

My reply is it's the spirit of economics. You pay for a product (or in this case, a certain quantity of a product), and if you don't exceed what you paid for then it's not theft.

The problem with your economic argument is that the quantity that you paid for is whatever amount you are capable of drinking. If the card was good for a finite number of sodas then what you stated would hold true.

First off let me say that I simply do not care. I don't get soda cards, and the whole morality issue in this debate isn't terribly compelling IMO..

Just to throw a wrench in the morality argument though: Consider a hypothetical situation where you have 2 occasional to moderate soda drinkers sharing 1 card.

(1) take the cost of the soda card and divide it up into how many sodas what would be worth based on their per-can charge (I do buy soda by the can usually).

(2) Then realize even THAT isn't accurate, because they're serving you fountain soda (cheaper), and also consider that the cost of a can of soda produces an exorbitant profit for the cruise line in the first place... but lets pretend that doesn't matter and divide up the cost anyway.

(3) If you realize that the amount of soda consumed between the two people for the trip falls LESS than the amount of soda entitled by the amount paid for the card, then I see no problem... or even if it's roughly equivelant or slightly more for that matter.

I'm sure 12 people will reply 'but it's the spirit of the whole thing, it's stealing'... haha go ahead. My reply is it's the spirit of economics. You pay for a product (or in this case, a certain quantity of a product), and if you don't exceed what you paid for then it's not theft.

Yes, some people will share a card between an entire family or between several heavy soda drinkers, but that's for them to live with, not for YOU to criticize on a cruise board. So many people come onto this board and ask a simple question and get hammered by the MORALITY POLICE. If you don't approve of what they're doing, then by all means follow the "rules" yourself on the ship, as I personally choose to.

Not a single new argument in your post, sorry but all those calculations you made have already been mentioned before and they still hold no truth.

Economics have nothing to do with following the programme rules.

It´s per person, regardless how much you drink and if you ever can make enough soda out of it.

It has nothing to do with the spirit of it.

But you are right I´m one of the 12 people to disagree with you and I know I won´t change your mind on it, just as you won´t change mine.

To me, yes it´s a question of moralty and honesty. And if it starts with such things like stealing Soda and thinking it´s OK because of various tries to justify (just see above arguments) where will it end?

No wonder next generations have a problem with moralty.

Glad to see in the spirit of Christmas everyone is STILL ARGUING over this topic.

Anyways, anyone remember what the OP was actually asking? Maybe try reading it and sticking to the topic. No need to keep flaming one another at this time of year especially, just my opinion! :rolleyes:

Archived