Sharing a soda card

Glad to see in the spirit of Christmas everyone is STILL ARGUING over this topic.

Anyways, anyone remember what the OP was actually asking? Maybe try reading it and sticking to the topic. No need to keep flaming one another at this time of year especially, just my opinion! :rolleyes:

Of course I remember the question, it was how strict RCI would be about stealing Soda from them by sharing a Soda Card and if it could be done as the price for the card would be a bit steep for a person not drinking that much Soda at all;) :eek:

But hey having a nice discussion is not flaming.

Just exchanging arguments but I agree with you, let´s keep in the christmas spirit, so I start thinking about my christian roots which include some moralty and of course the statemeant to not steal.;)

Merry Christmas and enjoy the Holidays :)

>>dangerouslymoody>> simply put, I am like you and I agree with several of the posters in here...to each their own. I like an occasional soda and I just pop the one in my room and post it to my account...otherwise, drink lemonade or tea...at $42/week you would have to gulp down a lot of coke to make it worth the money...never had it....never will!

Well $42/ week works out to about 21 sodas which over a 7 night cruise is 3 sodas a day. Whether or not that qualifies as a "lot of coke" really varies according to the individual, and if it is, the solution is to forego purchasing the card, and paying for the soft drinks as you consume them. At the end of the cruise it might be interesting to see which method would have cost you less. In the course of a day onboard the ship, especially in warm weather, it probably isn't that much, but I suspect that the average consumption of sodas by many passengers is higher than that. On our last cruise there was a "fact" sheet that listed the amounts of various foods and beverages that were consumed on an average cruise. I wish that I had kept it, because it might have provided information on soda consumption.:)

Of course I remember the question, it was how strict RCI would be about stealing Soda from them by sharing a Soda Card and if it could be done as the price for the card would be a bit steep for a person not drinking that much Soda at all;) :eek:

Good point, I completely forgot what the initial question is. The answer is RCI is not terribly strict about it at all. I've seen it done many times on every cruise. If the OP chooses to do that, it will not be difficult.

I don't mean to come on here and flame anyone or ruffle any feathers. I just can't help but getting irked sometimes that some people annoint themselves kings and queens of morality and feel the need to chastise and force their views on everybody else. I've been reading these boards for years and I know it's not a new thing and I'm not the first person to make this observation. It just annoys me... because:

This is a CRUISE board. I'd just love if we could try to keep the discussions/debates/(and yes even) arguments to cruising topics!!...especially dress codes and deck chair hogging. Those manage to get heated without even bringing in morality! :eek:

Well $42/ week works out to about 21 sodas which over a 7 night cruise is 3 sodas a day. Whether or not that qualifies as a "lot of coke" really varies according to the individual, and if it is, the solution is to forego purchasing the card, and paying for the soft drinks as you consume them. At the end of the cruise it might be interesting to see which method would have cost you less. In the course of a day onboard the ship, especially in warm weather, it probably isn't that much, but I suspect that the average consumption of sodas by many passengers is higher than that. On our last cruise there was a "fact" sheet that listed the amounts of various foods and beverages that were consumed on an average cruise. I wish that I had kept it, because it might have provided information on soda consumption.:)

I reviewed the fact sheet but it has only listed cans of Soda, not included any information about fountain Soda.

It has listed 6200 cans for a 7 day period on the Jewel of the Seas

18450 fresh eggs 2375 kilo rice 6250 kilo fresh vegetables 5790 kilo fresh fruit 14000 liter milk 2675 kilo Beef 93 kilo fresh herbs 2500 kilo potatoes 280 kilo coffee 3200 liter ice 275 kilo Lobster 15673 kilo chicken 1825 kilo sugar 18000 bottles of spirits 12500 cans of beer 6120 cans of soda

There are ways for RCI to win. They can either include them in the price of every fare-Or, they can just go back to letting us buy every drink and forget about the cards-Or, they can sell them by the "family." That way, everyone in the same cabin - or traveling with their children in another cabin will either buy them or not. Then we can all "share" without any flames.

Sorry, Dave, I don't check my morality at the door when I'm talking about cruising.

And you shouldn't. As long as you're not forcing your personal values down everybody else's throat, as some people do on this board, there's no issue.

But you see Merion Mom, such posts (flames usually) obstruct the purpose of the board, and that's discussing and gaining information about cruising... which is why I'm here and I presume most others are too.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Merry Christmas everyone.

And you shouldn't. As long as you're not forcing your personal values down everybody else's throat, as some people do on this board, there's no issue.

In this world there are some things that are right and some things that are wrong and to think otherwise is foolish. We cannot all just do what we want because our its our vacation or whatever and that's what I feel like, its more than just a matter of personal values or opinion. Our choices do affect others, sometimes its other people, sometimes its more indirect by affecting a company that then trickles down to affect the people directly. How many times have we heard that its the poor decsions of a few that ruin it for everyone else.

I don't mean to come on here and flame anyone or ruffle any feathers. I just can't help but getting irked sometimes that some people annoint themselves kings and queens of morality and feel the need to chastise and force their views on everybody else. I've been reading these boards for years and I know it's not a new thing and I'm not the first person to make this observation. It just annoys me... because:

This is a CRUISE board. I'd just love if we could try to keep the discussions/debates/(and yes even) arguments to cruising topics!!...especially dress codes and deck chair hogging. Those manage to get heated without even bringing in morality! :eek:

I don´t feel flamed at all and actually I never felt at all. Maybe it´s just me, but none of the people here on the boards really can flame me, regardless of what they say. Why? pretty simple I just don´t take such comments serious and someone I don´t even know and who sits in front of his computer can´t harm me, by typing any comment into Cyberspace.

In the same way I´m realistic enough (though I ahng around here alot) to realize that this is nothing more or less than Cyberspace and nothing that I can say here will change the view of others if they don´t want it to be changed.

However I believe that htese discussion boards are for gaining information as well as for exchanging arguments and that´s what I do here.

I think it´s cruise related as we talk about soda cards on cruise ships. So it´s absolutely a topic that belongs here.

I know not everybody is pleased with my opinion, as well as I´m not pleased with everybody elses opinion, but I can live with that quite good.

Its all about respecting other people and their opinion and I still can be repsectful against those people who don´t respect others belongings.

"Well $42/ week works out to about 21 sodas which over a 7 night cruise is 3 sodas a day."

My DH will soooooo easily exceed 3 sodas a day. The card is a real saver for us.

And we do not pay thousands for a cruise. We paid $259 each for our oceanview cabin on a 4 night cruise. So we care about getting a good deal on our trip.

$6 a day for soda/juice is a great deal for my DH.

But it is not a great deal for me as I will probably only drink one soda per day. Even paying $2.00 per soda is a better deal than buying the soda card.

Using my DH's soda card for my own drinks would bother my conscience. That is not worth an extra $2 per day.

I do not consider it immoral to bring a 12 pack with me.

"So, if I do not drink my share of $42 worth of soda on a 7 night cruise, is the cruise line stealing from me since I did not get the full value of the soda card?"

Absolutely not.

Purchasing the card is an option. You are not forced to buy it. You made an informed decision to purchase the card.

Just like if I pay $60 per person to go to Disneyland. Then halfway through the day, I decide I would rather go elsewhere instead. I get no refund.

Know all the facts... make the right choice for you.

OK, so the soda card is for as much soda as the purchaser can drink. So why don't we all save our stickers, peel them off our seapass cards and use them on the next cruise:D :D :D

Even better, why not peel off the sticker and leave it in the cabin safe for the next occupants to use just like some people suggest be done with unused C & A coupons.;) Over time there will be a sticker in every safe and then soda will just be a free-for-all!

And before anyone jumps on me... I WAS being sarcastic!:D

I think as long as it relates to the original post, giving one's opinion about something you feel strongly about is a good thing. You are influencing the debate or discussion about the topic. I have formulated an opinion, or rethought my original position on several topics because of the opinions expressed here.

It is interesting to me that 1 thread on soda cards has generated so many posts and views. I once posted a long list of freebies and discounts a cruiser could get, and I received about 50 posts up to now. Lots of views however. Look at the number of posts and views on certain topics and you'll see what is important to people at the time.

Also, this is everyone's board. I encourage everyone who has something to say to get involved. Don't just read the threads and leave. Join, post, participate. I decided to do just that because I wanted to pay back all the CC'ers who helped me in the past on CC when I was just a looky-loo.

I personally have never bought one and enjoy the water( free stuff) , the ice tea and the lemonade....but to compare with a buffet and sharing your plate would be correct if one person bought the buffet and you, the paying customer shared it with the unpaying...is that fair? Is that right?

So, if I do not drink my share of $42 worth of soda on a 7 night cruise, is the cruise line stealing from me since I did not get the full value of the soda card?

No, but if you don't expect that you can or will drink at least $42 worth of soda on a 7 night cruise, you are foolish to purchase the card. The cruiseline isn't forcing the card on anyone, and most people know their drinking habits and should be able to calculate whether or not the card is worth the cost. You control the number of sodas you drink, so the line is not preventing you from drinking the necessary amount of sodas to match or exceed your cost. If they did, then you might be able to argue that they were stealing from you, but they don't and they aren't.:)

No, but if you don't expect that you can or will drink at least $42 worth of soda on a 7 night cruise, you are foolish to purchase the card. The cruiseline isn't forcing the card on anyone, and most people know their drinking habits and should be able to calculate whether or not the card is worth the cost. You control the number of sodas you drink, so the line is not preventing you from drinking the necessary amount of sodas to match or exceed your cost. If they did, then you might be able to argue that they were stealing from you, but they don't and they aren't.:)

Except the times that I am ignored by the bartenders so they may serve other guests who are getting paid for drinks at that time... this has been reported in another post on here about the warning of using a soda card...

And by the way for eevryone else.. I was being SARCASTIC about the refund

(1) take the cost of the soda card and divide it up into how many sodas what would be worth based on their per-can charge (I do buy soda by the can usually).

Who decides the worth? Would you do this at a dinner buffet you paid for at home and determine that full value for the meal is a plate that weighs 2 pounds?

(2) Then realize even THAT isn't accurate, because they're serving you fountain soda (cheaper), and also consider that the cost of a can of soda produces an exorbitant profit for the cruise line in the first place.
Retail stores have done the same thing for years, items the ship sells reflect a wide range of profits. Would you want to pay more for all the other services and commodities on the ship and have free soda?

Some cruises serve canned soda poured over ice for soda cards and all other purchases. Cruise lines have a profit margin they must meet for investment in new ships, maintenance, insurance, crew salaries, etc. Those profits come from items we purchase like alcohol, soda cards, shore excursions, bingo, onboard purchases and photos.

I print 5"x 7" photos from my digital camera for under 50 cents a print, should I pay them 10 bucks for one and then pocket a few more since with your logic the markups are about the same?

(3) If you realize that the amount of soda consumed between the two people for the trip falls LESS than the amount of soda entitled by the amount paid for the card, then I see no problem... or even if it's roughly equivelant or slightly more for that matter.

With this logic should cafeterias at home weigh the plates and charge us by the amount of food we eat? Should airlines charge us a fuel surcharge based on how much we weigh? That'd be a hoot, have a scale at the check-in counter! :)

Merry Christmas to those that agree and disagree. We can debate this more, but the turkey will be ready about 1:00 pm Monday, so if you spent the night after the Conquest or Rhapsody near Galveston stop in for a good meal. We can argue over a nice soda with booze I didn't smuggle aboard!

Archived