Sharing a soda card

What a thread! :)

Yes, sharing a soda card is stealing. No amount of math or rationalization will change that. And it's not a morality issue. Stealing is stealing.

Even if it was a morality issue (which I always find to be the last-ditch argument of the losing side), I would have every right to discuss it and try to force my values on my fellow passengers because (and this is important) their immoral choices affect me! Yup. As others have deduced, the cost of "cheaters" is built into the card. In other words, if people didn't use the card to steal extra sodas, my cost would be lower. In that case, you are stealing from me as well, and I have every right to bop you over the head for it.

And since 99% of the posts seem to think this is a huge amount of soda to drink, for my family it isn't. We each have at least one at lunch and at least 2 or 3 at dinner. Not counting the occasional midnight snack or hot afternoon soda break. It definitely saves me money.

Finally, for those who say that a question about enforcement shouldn't turn into a "right vs wrong" argument, I say see my comments about morality. It is a dangerous mindset when people only consider a law or rule valid if they think they will be caught and prosecuted (and I know this is the primary mindset here in the US). As long as we continue along that trend, the downslide will continue....

Let's not offer to lump the soda card into the jeans/chair hogs/smoking level of inane debates. I say we put them on the second tier of ridiculousness, like "my steward's key opens my deadbolt" and "they put my name for all to see outside my cabin". :p

Jape

Glad to see that this thread still going strong! :D

I forgot to mention in one of my previous posts, that we also purchase a soda card for our 10 year old DD - who could very easily "share" one of her parents soda.....once again I say......paying thousands for a cruise, the $42 soda card is peanuts in the big scheme of things......:rolleyes: ;)

the cost of "cheaters" is built into the card.
So true, in all areas of retail. BTW, I am off to use my "five finger discount" and do my Christmas shopping. The cost of the retailer's loss is built into what everyone else pays. So, thank you all, Merry Christmas, and keep paying your taxes, also (I work for the government).;)

My sister met someone halfway through the cruise who kept going to the desk and saying he lost his card and getting new seapasses with the unlimited soft drink sticker. By the last day 4 or 5 people had a copy of his seapass and were using it to get free drinks.

Spectator - just out of curiosity, did you and your group follow ANY of the established rules on your cruise? It seems that a number of your posts are centered on how you and your group beat the system, including under age drinking... :confused:

You can buy a used soda cup on EBay - eeeeeeeeeew!
This isn't really on-topic about sharing, but WHY is it "eeeeeeew" to drink from an ebay-purchased cup, but perfectly acceptable to drink from a glass in a restaurant that's been used by many, many strangers?

Though I have not done this on the ship (because hubby does not sail with us) Many times my husband and I go to an upper class restraunt and order one meal and share it.. sometimes order one extra side item and we have plenty to eat between the two of us.
But I'm sure you don't do this at an all-you-can-eat buffet. The buffet is a good analogy for the soda card. An individually purchased can of soda is a good analogy for a traditional, buy-a-plate-do-as-you-wish-with-it restaurant.

There are ways for RCI to win. They can either include them in the price of every fare-Or, they can just go back to letting us buy every drink and forget about the cards-Or, they can sell them by the "family." That way, everyone in the same cabin - or traveling with their children in another cabin will either buy them or not. Then we can all "share" without any flames.
Oh, I think RCI is winning the soda price war. A fountain soda costs literally PENNIES, and they convince the majority of cruisers to pay $42/week for unlimited drinks. Most of those cruisers are going to leave the ship on port days, and most of the adult cruisers are going to drink alcohol in the evenings (at least); thus, they're going to forego sodas a good deal of the time. I'd guess RCI makes about $41 profit from every soda card sold!

Yet they've convinced people that this program is a "savings" for them. Oh, yes, they're winning the soda cost war.

Regardless, it is still stealing to buy a card with the intention of sharing it with another person for the week. Even though RCI is making an astronomical profit from the sodas, if you plan to share, you're cheating the system. If you dislike the system, you can "opt out" of it and buy your sodas on a can-by-can basis (probably not reaching $42 for the week).

No, but if you don't expect that you can or will drink at least $42 worth of soda on a 7 night cruise, you are foolish to purchase the card. The cruiseline isn't forcing the card on anyone, and most people know their drinking habits and should be able to calculate whether or not the card is worth the cost.
I think people get the idea that there are two options:

1) Buy the unlimited soda card for $42

2) Never have a soda onboard

Obviously, this isn't true. I really think that the best option for most people is to buy cans on an as-you-go-basis. The cans taste MUCH better than the poorly mixed fountain sodas, and they're twice as large.

Personally, I'd like to see the cruise lines go with something like 20-sodas during the week, punch this card every time you get one, anyone can use it card. It'd take away the sharing problem. Of course, it won't happen as long as the majority of the people onboard are willing to pay $42.

I just got off the Monarch and had a diet coke everynight with dinner, and I was not charged for it at all.
If the waiter GIVES you a free drink, that's not dishonest. On the other hand, if you mislead him and make him think you have a soda card, that's dishonest.

In my experience, the dinner waiters OFTEN give away free sodas at dinner. I think it's because they're so busy and have such a quick turn-around that they don't want to bother with tabs/signatures for a couple single sodas here and there. They do care about the large number of alcoholic drinks that they sell at dinner -- that's big money for them.

Usually at dinner my husband'll have two beers and I'll have one mixed drink -- our two children will order sodas. More often than not, the waiter's charged us ONLY for the alcoholic drinks. On the first night, my husband'll always point it out to the waiter, and he'll always wave his hand and say, "Don't worry about it." He knows what he's doing: he's giving away a few pennies' worth of soda, knowing that it'll get him a bigger tip at the end of the week. This is his business, not ours.

Oh, I think RCI is winning the soda price war. A fountain soda costs literally PENNIES, and they convince the majority of cruisers to pay $42/week for unlimited drinks. Most of those cruisers are going to leave the ship on port days, and most of the adult cruisers are going to drink alcohol in the evenings (at least); thus, they're going to forego sodas a good deal of the time. I'd guess RCI makes about $41 profit from every soda card sold!

And it just occurred to me that you're leaving out a factor in your "math".

Many of those "adult cruisers" who are having "alcohol in the evenings" are mixing their own booze with soda from the soda card.

So I doubt your calculation that "adults" aren't drinking their fair share of paid-for soda on the soda card.

:)

1837769545_popcornsmiley.gif.478d66ae26c424ef35eee080142576de.gif

And it just occurred to me that you're leaving out a factor in your "math".

Many of those "adult cruisers" who are having "alcohol in the evenings" are mixing their own booze with soda from the soda card.

So I doubt your calculation that "adults" aren't drinking their fair share of paid-for soda on the soda card.

:)

I love the attached smiley! :D

Yet they've convinced people that this program is a "savings" for them. Oh, yes, they're winning the soda cost war.

Regardless, it is still stealing to buy a card with the intention of sharing it with another person for the week. Even though RCI is making an astronomical profit from the sodas, if you plan to share, you're cheating the system. If you dislike the system, you can "opt out" of it and buy your sodas on a can-by-can basis (probably not reaching $42 for the week).

That's the thing. Any reasonably intelligent individual is capable of estimating how many soft drinks he or she will consume over the course of the week's cruise and therefore, whether or not the soda card represents a savings. They should know whether or not their consumption will be reduced by the amount of time they are off the ship or by their preference for adult beverages in the evening. RCI doesn't do anything but offer the card. It is up to each guest to determine whether it is worth it. I suspect that most who purchase it actually consume more than $42 worth of soft drinks during their cruise, and I also suspect that, when they get their final bill, many of those who didn't get a card because they didn't think they would spend that much for soft drinks, ended up spending more.

If the waiter GIVES you a free drink, that's not dishonest. On the other hand, if you mislead him and make him think you have a soda card, that's dishonest.

In my experience, the dinner waiters OFTEN give away free sodas at dinner. I think it's because they're so busy and have such a quick turn-around that they don't want to bother with tabs/signatures for a couple single sodas here and there. They do care about the large number of alcoholic drinks that they sell at dinner -- that's big money for them.

Usually at dinner my husband'll have two beers and I'll have one mixed drink -- our two children will order sodas. More often than not, the waiter's charged us ONLY for the alcoholic drinks. On the first night, my husband'll always point it out to the waiter, and he'll always wave his hand and say, "Don't worry about it." He knows what he's doing: he's giving away a few pennies' worth of soda, knowing that it'll get him a bigger tip at the end of the week. This is his business, not ours.

I don't have any strong opinions on this, but if one is to condemn (on moral, ethical, or legal grounds) passengers who share sodas, then how can one allow oneself to receive stolen goods -- soda which in effect has been stolen by the waiter and given to a passenger, thus giving the passenger free soda, the waiter a larger tip, and the cruiseline lower profits?

I love the attached smiley! :D

Thanks, Justin. I couldn't find my "energizer bunny" .gif, and it's not QUITE ready for the beating-a-dead-horse .gif, so I went for the pull-up-a-chair-and-grab-some-popcorn .gif. :D

But maybe I'll try a new one now:

1956927672_whippingsmiley.gif.5c43bd79fd7dee402275cddc18ad285f.gif

That's the thing. Any reasonably intelligent individual is capable of estimating how many soft drinks he or she will consume over the course of the week's cruise and therefore, whether or not the soda card represents a savings. They should know whether or not their consumption will be reduced by the amount of time they are off the ship or by their preference for adult beverages in the evening. RCI doesn't do anything but offer the card. It is up to each guest to determine whether it is worth it. I suspect that most who purchase it actually consume more than $42 worth of soft drinks during their cruise, and I also suspect that, when they get their final bill, many of those who didn't get a card because they didn't think they would spend that much for soft drinks, ended up spending more.

We buy soda cards for myself and DH as we both drink enough soda and juice that it does save us money. On the Explorer we are NOT served fountain soda. It is poured from 2 liter coke bottles. It would cost us much more money if we had to buy individual soda's throughout a cruise. I wouldn't attempt the sharing deal as first, with my luck I know I'd get caught and second DH and I are occasionally in different areas of the ship and we would not want to have to track the other person down just to get a soda. :o

just got off the freedom of the seas two weeks ago, i had a soda card and no one else in our little group did. the waiters would often bring multiple sodas when i asked for one. wheather this was for me to share as i saw fit, or to save them a second trip, i do not know, but they did spread them around the table. now i could share them or let them sit there and be wasted, or maybe i should have taken the waiters name, reported him and have him lashed and thrown overboard for being so generous with the cruiselines soda. as this happened in multiple clubs, and by various waiters around the pool, i can only be glad i didn"t take names as there would have been much lashing and throwing, and the poor guy doing all the lashing would probably get upset with me and take my soda card!

ok, i could care less who agrees with me or not.

i just want to say who gives a crap? i mean really! who gives a crap what others do? i don't think a cruise line is going to shut down over shared soda cards, i don't think people are "stealing" per se, and furthermore who are we to judge???:rolleyes:

people are just people, everyone is different, everyone is not going to do what you do, say what you say, think what you think. jeez!

build a bridge people...and get over it!!:p

oh, and have a safe and happy holiday!!!!:D

i just want to say who gives a crap? i mean really! who gives a crap what others do? i don't think a cruise line is going to shut down over shared soda cards, i don't think people are "stealing" per se, and furthermore who are we to judge???:rolleyes:

people are just people, everyone is different, everyone is not going to do what you do, say what you say, think what you think. jeez!

This attitude is the reason there are laws, lol.

Dear Sheila,

Since "per se" means "through itself", or "intrinsically", it certainly IS stealing.

If you take it and you didn't pay for it, PER SE, it is stealing.

Sheila. What you have to understand is that most everyone who posts here has an opinion on most every subject that is brought up. Some even vary their opinion to fit their own needs. For example, you have rules and intent. The rule is you do not bring booze onboard and the intent of the soda card is that it is used by one person. So in some minds, it is ok to break the rules and bring booze on, because it suits them, but not ok to not follow the intent of the soda card. Then that becomes stealing. It all comes down to what people think is right and wrong on the many different subjects that are brought up. And I can tell you this, many of those subjects can and are often beaten down, built back up, and then beaten down again. This just happens to be one of them. Happy Holidays:D

Archived