Cabin Steward's Card Key Opens Deadbolt

Princess Patches

I know it was clear from your first post that the cabin steward didn't realize he was overriding your deadbolt, but I just think it's very, very strange to have a 'new policy' about this without informing the people using the new keys that they might inadvertently waltz in on something most people on this board are apparently not doing in their cabin.

Mary Poppinz-

I thought it very strange too. That is why I wrote a letter to Princess Corporate today. I explained what happened and asked them to specify their policy regarding the use of the deadbolt override keys by cruise personnel. If I get a response I will post it.

I agree with you that in theory your idea is a good one. However, what I was saying is that a good idea in theory does not always work in practice.

The key a cabin stewardess has is vital to her job, she takes great care not to lose it as she cannot perform her job without it. Giving them a second key that they NEVER use except in the event of an emergency would be lost/misplaced/left in their cabin etc etc. In the even of an emergency they might not be able to put their hands on the correct key. This is not the case with their main key.

I cannot fully articulate how much that TIME is vital in an emergency, and safety overrides all other issues, even if convenience does seem to be your main priority.

Some people want the emphises placed on the steward and some would even want millions spent on the development of a new key system all so you don't have to bother placing a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on your door. All this to prevent the highly unlikely event of the cabin steward walking in on you.

What millions need to be spent on a new key system, and why, if you insist it is the responsibility of the guests to use the Do Not Disturb sign, can't you post a notice to that effect advising them that the deadbolt does not insure their privacy? It isn't that it is a "bother" as you characterize it, to put the card in the door. It is that they have never been informed that failure to do so leaves them subject to an unexpected encounter with a crew member. I doubt that it is that unlikely that a cabin steward might walk in on you when you are showering or enjoying a private or intimate moment. It is far more likely to occur than that emergency that you are so concerned about. You seem to have little faith in the ability of the room stewards to keep track of a second key, which could easily be on the lanyard along with the regular key. I think I have more faith in the room stewards than you do.

Everytime someone suggests that Princess might do something better, your response is that it would be too expensive, even though other lines find it possible to do so (interactive TV for example). Stockholders may be pleased that Princess' employees are so cost-conscious, but passengers might prefer that they loosen the purse strings a bit when sensible improvements to their operations can be made. How expensive could those stickers advising people about the deadbolts really be?:confused: You choose to characterize our position as one of "convenience" while we would say that "safety" is equally important to us and the idea that a deadbolt doesn't offer us that safety is unbelievable.

What millions need to be spent on a new key system, and why, if you insist it is the responsibility of the guests to use the Do Not Disturb sign, can't you post a notice to that effect advising them that the deadbolt does not insure their privacy? It isn't that it is a "bother" as you characterize it, to put the card in the door. It is that they have never been informed that failure to do so leaves them subject to an unexpected encounter with a crew member. I doubt that it is that unlikely that a cabin steward might walk in on you when you are showering or enjoying a private or intimate moment. It is far more likely to occur than that emergency that you are so concerned about. You seem to have little faith in the ability of the room stewards to keep track of a second key, which could easily be on the lanyard along with the regular key. I think I have more faith in the room stewards than you do.

Everytime someone suggests that Princess might do something better, your response is that it would be too expensive, even though other lines find it possible to do so (interactive TV for example). Stockholders may be pleased that Princess' employees are so cost-conscious, but passengers might prefer that they loosen the purse strings a bit when sensible improvements to their operations can be made. How expensive could those stickers advising people about the deadbolts really be?:confused: You choose to characterize our position as one of "convenience" while we would say that "safety" is equally important to us and the idea that a deadbolt doesn't offer us that safety is unbelievable.

Firstly, I agree that all guests should be informed. I would be surprised if it isn't in your literature in the cabin, which I can tell you most people don't read. I can say that because approx. 90% of all calls to the Purser's desk on the last sea day are to ask questions that are already in your cabins either that have been there all week or are contained in the Patters.

Secondly, I have already stated that Cruise lines spend much more than they have to on safety items so to say I always put the idea down due to cost is wrong. To design a new system with coloured lights as some have suggested and then install them all ships would cost millions. Having said that yes, cost has to be factored in, after all it is a business. And when you consider that there is already a solution (DND sign) you are asking them to throw money away.

Thirdly, I find it humorous that you say "that emergency that you are so concerned about," Yes from my point of view based on my position onboard ships, safety is by far my main concern, although I do understand people's point about privacy, but it falls much lower on my priority list. Although it is unlikely that an emergency incident will ever happen, we have to be prepared for it nonetheless.

I agree that a new system could be introduced on new builds and added to current ships but only when the natural life cycle of the door mechanisms on those current ships expires. They could come up with a way to resolve this problem by using a suggestion like the light system, or more likely by the use of smart cards rather than mag-stripes. But replacing a good system that is working well, is just not going to happen, unless a safety reason forces it to. Yes there is that word again 'safety', whether you like it or not, that will always be the priority.

Fourthly, the deadbolt does offer you safety; it offers an extra sense of security than just closing the door to every person who does not have a key to your room. The only people who can bypass that lock are people charged with your care.

I think some of the cynics on here would be the first to create a thread about how poor the safety was on a ship should they be unfortunate to experience it.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I had a similar experience on my last ship. My cabin steward would often enter my cabin in the morning whilst I was still there. It bothered me so I asked for a 'Please make up my room' sign, which we (crew) do not have as standard. I told him never to come in my cabin in future unless the make my room sign was on the door. After that the problem vanished. So you might try that same thing. Instead of having to put DND you can flip it around and that way you only have to put up one sign per day.

I understand and agree with some of what you are saying, but to claim that the notice about the deadbolt is somewhere in the literature in your stateroom is somewhat disingenuous since, as you say, many, perhaps most, guests do not read that material carefully. My solution would be an inexpensive sticker prominently displayed next to the deadbolt advising passengers that the deadbolt is overriden by the key card that is used to unlock the door and, if the guests want privacy, they need to place the "do not disturb" outside the door. It is a cheap and effective solution and could be implemented fleet-wide without much difficulty.

That's a great idea...maybe something similar to the "Occupied/Vacant" thingy on airline lavatory doors. A lever you push left or right. Of course all existing doors would have to be modified or replaced and that would be expensive.

Sorry to disagree, but this is not a good idea - the hotel industry discontinued this years ago. As someone previously mentioned, the deadbolt is not to keep staff from catching you naked, it is meant to avoid "unathorized" breaking and entering.

A "vacant" sign might as well say "I'm out, so now is a good time to break in and steal my laptop".

For 50 7-day cruises per year, this is $3 per cruise (if recovered in 1-year). Princess CEO is fortunately a lot more intelligent than the "cheerleaders".

/Sultan

Name calling is totally uncalled for. I resent your attitude.

I see your point, do not agree with it.... but respect it. Respect mine. :mad:

to all who want to have a deadbolt that can not be opened with a pass card......it wil not happen. Stewards will always need immediate entry........in case of an emergency.......say if a fire alarm or sprinkler was going off.

If you want privacy.....hang a do not enter sign.

Sorry to disagree, but this is not a good idea - the hotel industry discontinued this years ago. As someone previously mentioned, the deadbolt is not to keep staff from catching you naked, it is meant to avoid "unathorized" breaking and entering.

A "vacant" sign might as well say "I'm out, so now is a good time to break in and steal my laptop".

Actually, it could just say "Do Not Disturb" or be blank. I wasn't suggesting that it say "Vacant", just similar to the lever mechanism on airline lavatory doors that when you slide it, would display DND. If you don't have the Do Not Disturb sign up, it doesn't mean you aren't in the room.

In an perfect world there would be two cards, etc. But that is not that system that has been designed for whatever reason. SO we are where we are.

The cabin stewards are more than happy to follow any directions that you may give at the beginning of your cruise or on any given day. My kids sleep half the day and are not interrupted because the staff knows that there is no point cleaning the room much before noon. Use the dnd.

They only come in twice a day. I agree WITH Mary that it is as least as embarrassing for the crew to pop in on us unexpectledly. Aside from embarrasment, I am sure that they are also concerned about a complaint from a pax. That is the last thing that they want !

As an aside- I ride on my local ambulance corps and I think many of you would be suprised to know how many emergencies occur in the bathroom. It is not a happy picture, perhaps because people go there when they are feeling ill, or perhaps as a result of a fall or misstep (easy on a ship).

While it is a good concept to have an emergency card, in real emergencies things do not go as smoothly as one would like- In our own minds we can all recall a an incident that would validate this. We are on a cruise ship, not a war ship and the level of prepardness for an emergency is not a built in instinct that is finely tuned from years of experience ( fortunately because they are so infrequent).

In an perfect world there would be two cards, etc. But that is not that system that has been designed for whatever reason. SO we are where we are.

The cabin stewards are more than happy to follow any directions that you may give at the beginning of your cruise or on any given day. My kids sleep half the day and are not interrupted because the staff knows that there is no point cleaning the room much before noon. Use the dnd. They only come in twice a day. I agree WITH Mary that it is as least as embarrassing for the crew to pop in on us unexpectledly. Aside from embarrasment, I am sure that they are also concerned about a complaint from a pax. That is the last thing that they want !

I agree.. as far as the system.. we are where we are. And I feel it is workable for us.

Being late dinners, at first couple of nights we are usually "interrupted" :o getting ready for dinner by our steward who wants to do the turndown service. We always make sure to let them know so they can put us at the end of the list and perform the turndown while we are at dinner. ;)

When we have been "interrupted" we have never been "barged" in on. Our steward always knocks, announces and waits for a response.

The master key system is also in place on the Crown. Some friends of mine tried to hide out in their cabin during muster, with the dead bolt on, and were quite easily discovered. They too were surprised that the cabin stewart could over-ride the dead bolt with his electronic key.

Tony.

The master key system is also in place on the Crown. Some friends of mine tried to hide out in their cabin during muster, with the dead bolt on, and were quite easily discovered. They too were surprised that the cabin stewart could over-ride the dead bolt with his electronic key.

Tony.

Thanks, Tony. Finally, a response to my question. However, I would consider checking the cabin to make sure everyone was at muster (as required by law) an appropriate "emergency" use of the deadbolt override key. Using the deadbolt override key for daily cabin cleaning is another matter in my view.

I sailed on the Crown in October and used the deadbolt on multiple occasions on that ship. I heard the cabin steward attempt to get in with his pass key at least twice for routine cabin cleaning and he was unable to do so. So in October they were not using the deadbolt override key for cabin cleaning on the Crown. The situation was different on my Golden sailing this month.

Tony.

Another good reason for this new system. How stupid to try and dodge a muster drill. Risking your life on the idea that an emergency probably wont happen is foolish. Look at the Star fire recently, all passengers were mustered and could have easily been evacuated had the fire not been brought under control. Luckily they were close enough to port that help was at hand. Had they done it there, they would have been panicking. Very foolish.

I for one think the OPs concern is misplaced.

I am glad to know that the cabin steward can override the deadbolt, given an emergency.

I for one place faith in the "Do Not Disturb" card - and try not to reverse it to "Please Make Up Room" side.

I'm on the Coral right now - there are TONS of kids onboard, though quite honestly, they have been incredibly well behaved. Every time I put out the "Privacy Please" card (says "Service Please" on the reverse) --- I always consider the possibility that some roving bands of fun-loving kids are going to come by and flip everyones' cards as a practical joke:D .

I agree with the poster who mentioned it would be more traumatic for the steward to see most of us in the buff than it would be for us!!!!!

They only come in twice a day. I agree WITH Mary that it is as least as embarrassing for the crew to pop in on us unexpectledly. Aside from embarrasment, I am sure that they are also concerned about a complaint from a pax. That is the last thing that they want !

More than twice. They also come in once or twice to refill the ice bucket. In any case every steward I have had has always knocked before opening the door. As you say they don't want to be embarassed as well as embarrasing us. They knock. Really I hate to say it agian, to ensure privacy and not being disturbed put the Do not disturb sign in the door. I tested that once by mistake. I left it in the lock on purpose and went out cause I meant to come back right away, in a few minutes, and did not want him to start cleaning yet. But I got diverted by some friends and did not come back until hours later. Sure enough my bed did not get made and the room was not cleaned! The sign works.

Archived