Can you save money by booking while on a cruise?

We are going on a cruise in Sept. of this year and want to go to Hawaii next year on the same cruiseline,does a person really get the lowest possible price when buying on board?When on the ship they say it will be the lowest possible price,is that the lowest published price? I would hate to book and then find a better price on line somewhere.

What cruise lines are we talking about?

Some cruise lines give you incentives to book while still on your cruise.

Like cabin credit.

What you can do is book your cruise so you can get the cabin credit then come home and research who has the lowest price then transfer the booking. You will still get the cabin credit. (are they cheaper while sailing-- I dont think so.

and you also have to pay the full deposit to get the credit.

I wondered about this, too. I'd like to go on RCCL ROS in 2005 and will be going this year on the same ship. I decided to do my research BEFORE going. Found out that a lot of the 'bargain' online agencies don't have this space/date available, even though the cruiseline website DOES. But, one had a rate... cruise411. I'd like to compare with samsclubvacations, bestpricecruises, cheaptickets, and itakeatrip... but they don't have rates, yet. So, I am printing my rate w/411 and taking it WITH me on the cruise. IF they will at least MATCH the rate and offer shipboard credit THEN I'll put down deposit on the ship. One can always cancel before final payment!

I have done this on RCCL. You can book the cruise on board and get the credit they put on the reservation. Don't worry about how much they charge for the cruise. Then you can transfer the reservation number to your travel agent of choice and get their great rate plus keep the RCCL onboard credit they put on the booking number. You can also change dates without a problem. Best of all worlds. Good luck.

Princess has a great "on-board" booking program. You can book a specific cruise or a phantom cruise (open booking) for a deposit of $100 per person plus shipboard credits. You can book your cruise using a direct booking with Princess or assign to a TA. These bookings are good for 4 years and deposits are fully refundable if you don't use them. If you book a specific cruise and the price goes down you can take advantage of the lower fare. If you booked a phantom cruise, when you find the cruise you want, you just book it and you don't have to make another deposit -- no payment until your final payment. If you've booked directly with Princess you can always transfer to a TA if you want to. :)

I agree I always book open bookings while on-board and get the $100 per person on board credit or $150.00 if it's a sailing ovr 16 days as well as benefiting from the low deposit amount until final payment.:cool: :eek: :cool:

OK, say you book on board and put your $100 deposit down. Say you buy your own travel insurance, not the cruise line's, to get the typical pre-existing waivers on travel insurance do you then have to buy the insurance within those 7 to 21 days, depending on the insurance company, from the date of that downpayment?

No just do an open booking on board to get the $100.00 per person on board credit and once you make you confirm yo0ur booking then if you want to shop around for your insurance you can do it then at that time as well.:cool: :eek: :cool:

I haven't purchased independent insurance before, but the cruise line insurance is something I have purchased... but, only at final payment date. That way if I cancel before then, I'm not out any ins premium... since I'm not in penalty period, deposit is fully refundable. But, I also don't have any pre-existing conditions that I need to be concerned about, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed this last February on Royal, Grandeur. We booked a special going to Hawaii 11 nights while on board. Got cheap airfare and onboard credit. We priced the same cruise with several sources when arriving home and was at least $600 more. Ship is now sold out. All balconies were already sold out. Also if we change our mind on that cruise and move to another, no penalty.

I agree I always book open bookings while on-board and get the $100 per person on board credit or $150.00 if it's a sailing ovr 16 days as well as benefiting from the low deposit amount until final payment.:cool: :eek: :cool:

Can you explain further how this open bookings work ?

Do you have to book it with Princess first, and then some months later you see something you like and find a good deal (mostly from those online agencies), then how do you use this mechanism ?

Yes you have to book the FCC Future Cruise Credit onboard with the Future Sales consultant at any point within the 4 years you can assign it as a deposit on any cruise through your TA or even Princess directly...I would suggest a TA that KKan get you better pricing! Most experienced TA know all the rules about this FFC not just the big online ones and one woman show the one I KKan't mention!

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's new policy in regard to not selling or marketing any of their cruises below the published or contracted pricing programs...

Has convinced me NOT to book another on my cruise on the Rhapsody in October. If I can't get a discounted fare by transferring to my favorite agency (who will probably go out of business), then I'll try Princess or HAM... until THEY get on the greedy wagon. Although I love to cruise, I simply can't afford to pay brochure rate. With the reduction in quality & service, along with all of the other cost cutting efforts to boost the price of the stock, I think I've just had enough. Time to start looking at all inclusive resorts, I suppose. Oh, well. I could see it coming. Unless... xxx's re-instates their rebating gift certificate program?

• 2 weeks later...

:) NOT SURE IF I HAVE ALL OF THIS RIGHT, but I talked to my TA today and she is thrilled with the restictions put on by the cruise lines...She said it really does not have to do with the discount prices - they can still offer them as long as they are the discount prices from the cruise line - way less than the brochure. The problem was with what she called rebating and some companies were giving customers way discounted prices to get their business - she knows of one or two that were selling cruises and only making $10.00 profit per cruise - she is a personal friend I have known for many years and I think she was being truthful with me - like I said I may not have the details exactly right, but well there it is....

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's new policy in regard to not selling or marketing any of their cruises below the published or contracted pricing programs...

Has convinced me NOT to book another on my cruise on the Rhapsody in October. If I can't get a discounted fare by transferring to my favorite agency (who will probably go out of business), then I'll try Princess or HAM... until THEY get on the greedy wagon. Although I love to cruise, I simply can't afford to pay brochure rate. With the reduction in quality & service, along with all of the other cost cutting efforts to boost the price of the stock, I think I've just had enough. Time to start looking at all inclusive resorts, I suppose. Oh, well. I could see it coming. Unless... xxx's re-instates their rebating gift certificate program?

• 2 months later...

you have it exactly right. TAs were taking half their profit, and shaving it off the cruise price. TAs who do a lot of business get incentives. some were turning them over to their customers to get the business.:mad:

An example of current discounting is when Celebrity realizes a particular sailing isn't going well. They lower the price, and TAs follow suit. The following sailing, same ship, same itinerary, might also be discounted from the list price, but not as much. Ergo, varying prices. You can still shop for a less expensive cruise.:)

:) NOT SURE IF I HAVE ALL OF THIS RIGHT, but I talked to my TA today and she is thrilled with the restictions put on by the cruise lines...She said it really does not have to do with the discount prices - they can still offer them as long as they are the discount prices from the cruise line - way less than the brochure. The problem was with what she called rebating and some companies were giving customers way discounted prices to get their business - she knows of one or two that were selling cruises and only making $10.00 profit per cruise - she is a personal friend I have known for many years and I think she was being truthful with me - like I said I may not have the details exactly right, but well there it is....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived