LIVE from the Oosterdam Christmas cruise

scopewest

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone from the Odam. Weather warm, seas calm, life is good.

I just wanted to dispell some rumors/comments that have been circulating on the boards lately because I am onboard right now and this is what James Deering, the hotel manager, told us at our CC meeting:

First of all, the a/c is working. It was fixed. It was so cold in my room I had to turn up the heat! I repeat, there is NO a/c problem on our cruise.

Second, last week's cruisers unfortunately were in Code Red because of the norovirus. We were in Code Red until this a.m. when it was determined there was NO cases of illness onboard and thus we're back to normal except for having to use salt/pepper packages instead of shakers. It was good to see the bread and butter back on the tables at lunch.

For the person who wanted to know about noise levels in SS suites under the Lido deck, yes, there is some. We're in 8058. I can hear people tromping above us while on the balcony and somewhat in the bathroom. There is also some noise in the bedroom but not enough to bother me, I'm not a light sleeper.

We had a small CC'er meeting with the cookies, coffee and tea plus white wine, champagne, oj and bloody marys which was a surprise to me because we didn't have any alcohol at our CC meeting on the Noordam last month. Mr. Deering met with us for half an hour, took down our cabin numbers, gave us his card with his phone number and insisted we call him if we had any problems. Today a bottle of wine appeared in our cabin with his compliments. He's unbelievable!

The azipod will be fixed in drydock starting April 25 (21st?) I forget the date but the last Mexican and the first Alaskan cruise will be cancelled per Mr. Deering. Meanwhile we all get $25 pp to make up for shortened port times.

The Dutch officers/staff are very unhappy about the Eurodam ship name. They can't understand where that came from.

I hope this helps some future cruiser. And before anyone says no, you're wrong, that's not what I heard, let me repeat that I'm on board NOW and this is what Mr. Deering told us yesterday.

Scopewest - thanks so much for posting this info whilst you're enjoying your Christmas cruise. Really glad to hear that the a/c problem has been resolved - I was really worried about this, as I can only cope with heat, if I have somewhere cold to escape to! We're on the 6th Jan sailing, but leave from the UK on Wednesday to travel to LA. Glad to hear that the Code Red has been lifted and that the seas are calm.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hi Melodie,

We sat with you at the Captains table on the Infinity, October '05. We are sailing on the O Jan. 6. I have not been on a HAL ship in about 20 years. I must say that all I have read does have me a bit concerned. My wife would rather take her chances with the ship going down as opposed to worrying about the norovirus. Hope all is well. Have a great holiday.

Kerry

scopewest, so glad to hear confirmation that "All is well on my favorite ship" Knowing Mr. Deering and the crew I am sure you are being well taken care of.:)

Thanks for reporting in, Hope you are having a very Merry Christmas aboard the beauiful MS Oosterdam, enjoy the rest of your week.

Scopewest,

Merry Christmas! Thanks you so much for checking in from the Oosterdam--a ship many of us love!

I heard a few days ago that the AC had been fixed. That's great. Thank you for all the info.

Yes, Mr. Deering is a great HM and personifies all that is special about HAL. We look forward to meeting him again in Feb.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone from the Odam. Weather warm, seas calm, life is good.

I just wanted to dispell some rumors/comments that have been circulating on the boards lately because I am onboard right now and this is what James Deering, the hotel manager, told us at our CC meeting:

First of all, the a/c is working. It was fixed. It was so cold in my room I had to turn up the heat! I repeat, there is NO a/c problem on our cruise.

Second, last week's cruisers unfortunately were in Code Red because of the norovirus. We were in Code Red until this a.m. when it was determined there was NO cases of illness onboard and thus we're back to normal except for having to use salt/pepper packages instead of shakers. It was good to see the bread and butter back on the tables at lunch.

For the person who wanted to know about noise levels in SS suites under the Lido deck, yes, there is some. We're in 8058. I can hear people tromping above us while on the balcony and somewhat in the bathroom. There is also some noise in the bedroom but not enough to bother me, I'm not a light sleeper.

We had a small CC'er meeting with the cookies, coffee and tea plus white wine, champagne, oj and bloody marys which was a surprise to me because we didn't have any alcohol at our CC meeting on the Noordam last month. Mr. Deering met with us for half an hour, took down our cabin numbers, gave us his card with his phone number and insisted we call him if we had any problems. Today a bottle of wine appeared in our cabin with his compliments. He's unbelievable!

The azipod will be fixed in drydock starting April 25 (21st?) I forget the date but the last Mexican and the first Alaskan cruise will be cancelled per Mr. Deering. Meanwhile we all get $25 pp to make up for shortened port times.

The Dutch officers/staff are very unhappy about the Eurodam ship name. They can't understand where that came from.

I hope this helps some future cruiser. And before anyone says no, you're wrong, that's not what I heard, let me repeat that I'm on board NOW and this is what Mr. Deering told us yesterday.

We will be sailing in March. How do we get in touch with Mr. Deering prior to our sailing date to arrange a CC gathering?

Merry Christmas!

Teri

Thanks so much for the update!

We are on the New Year's sailing and look forward to it. How do I find out if there is a CC meeting on board this sailing.

I have a funny question. I've been on the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera sailing twice and always surprised that the best tequila on board was Cuervo 1800 Gold. Even restaurants like Chili's serve better tequila. Does the Oosterdam now have a better selection?

Any problems from the broken azipod in terms of vibration etc.? Do you tender in PV? Looks like you will be traveling with the Diamond Princess.

Happy holidays!:)

Thanks so much for the update!

We are on the New Year's sailing and look forward to it. How do I find out if there is a CC meeting on board this sailing.

I have a funny question. I've been on the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera sailing twice and always surprised that the best tequila on board was Cuervo 1800 Gold. Even restaurants like Chili's serve better tequila. Does the Oosterdam now have a better selection?

Any problems from the broken azipod in terms of vibration etc.? Do you tender in PV? Looks like you will be traveling with the Diamond Princess.

Happy holidays!:)

I can guarantee you there will be a CC group meeting probably hosted by Mr. Deering either on one of the two sea days after we leave San Diego or on the last one heading back. Check the Daily program for "Cruise Critic Q & A Session". They're usually held in the Oak Room - See you there!

I can guarantee you there will be a CC group meeting probably hosted by Mr. Deering either on one of the two sea days after we leave San Diego or on the last one heading back. Check the Daily program for "Cruise Critic Q & A Session". They're usually held in the Oak Room - See you there!

John,

I wouldn't look for an announcement in the program. I don't want to get into the details here, but I will say it's a legal thing and it can not be printed in the program.

If passengers want to have a party, it is best to contact the ship as past cruisers (including myself) have done. You can call it a "Cruise Critic" party or meet, but it must be initiated by the passengers. It won't be automatic.

Mr. Deering explained it to me when I asked to put something in the Daily Program for the second party. He said he couldn't, but he did have a staff member call all the cabin numbers he collected at the first party. I asked him if he could send invitations out too. He graciously sent them out. I thought that was really a nice thing for him to do.

John,

I wouldn't look for an announcement in the program. I don't want to get into the details here, but I will say it's a legal thing and it can not be printed in the program.

If passengers want to have a party, it is best to contact the ship as past cruisers (including myself) have done. You can call it a "Cruise Critic" party or meet, but it must be initiated by the passengers. It won't be automatic.

Mr. Deering explained it to me when I asked to put something in the Daily Program for the second party. He said he couldn't, but he did have a staff member call all the cabin numbers he collected at the first party. I asked him if he could send invitations out too. He graciously sent them out. I thought that was really a nice thing for him to do.

Got it Sean, thanks! Things must have changed since last FEB on Oosterdam. The get together was posted in the Daily Program during that cruise.

Here is the contact number for a CC party:

Jocelyn Larson

Coordinator, Onboard Event Services

ms Oosterdam

Holland America Line

Phone: 206-298-3815

877-885-4259 x2124

Fax: 206-270-6187

Email: jlarson@hollandamerica.com

John,

If you contact them, give them your cabin number so you can be the ship contact for the party. Post a notice on your Roll Call when the party will be.

We asked for 11:00 on Sunday in the Oak Room and they accepted it.

Have fun!

That doesn't take any effort!:D

Hi John;

It seems we do not have a very active group on our roll call.:confused: Ther are only six parties participating. Do we have time to get anything going? Check in on the roll cakk.

John & Christa

Hi John;

It seems we do not have a very active group on our roll call.:confused: Ther are only six parties participating. Do we have time to get anything going? Check in on the roll cakk.

John & Christa

Evening John (cool name! ;)) We'll get something going - I'll let you know on the roll call thread

Thanks for the Christmas update from the Oosterdam! I'm relieved to hear the a/c is up and running - YAY! I'm also sorry to hear about the Code Red on last week's cruise...we were on the 12/9-12/16 sailing and I'm so thankful this is not something we had to deal with.

I would love to hear more about how the Oosterdam does Christmas! Did you spend the day in Cabo? Were all the shops and restaurants open, even on a major holiday? Were the tours all running as scheduled? How about life back on the ship? Was there a special dinner or anything?

If you should happen to run into cruise director Michelle please tell her hello and Merry Christmas from Jeff & Jennifer from Bellingham, WA. We chatted with her several times on our cruise and really enjoyed meeting her. I hope she and her hubby had a great Christmas.

Thanks again for the updates from Oosterdam!

Christmas dinner for me was filet mignon and three desserts: lemon yule log, HAL chocolate "treasure chest" filled with mousse, and crepes suzette. They also had turkey.

Christmas Eve the crew sang carols for us at 11:15 p.m. and then we had midnight mass. There was about 200 people there, including some crew. The next day at 9 a.m. we (audience) sang carols while waiting for Santa to arrive. The kids went wild when he showed up, and every child had their photo taken with Santa and got a gift. They passed out hot chocolate and eggnog in all the lounges for a couple of hours in the a.m.

Our schedule is different because of the holiday, we had two sea days and then went to P.V. so there was no closed shop problem. Oh, yes, the dock at PV is NOT READY, Mr. Deering said it was supposed to be this week but alas, we had to tender. Princess was here with us and Mr. D says Princess has priority docking rights in PV so they got the dock space. However, all is not lost, HAL has priority docking in Alaska!!

I'll post more if I can, I have to share my minutes with my husband!

Archived