Mississipi River SteamBoats

cruisecrasy

Interested in treating my hubby to a 7+ day river cruise in 2007. Anyone done one of these on the Mississipi and if yes please tell me all about it and your recommendations..for example type of accomodation, time of yr best to go, steamboat recommended and best itinerary. We have visited New Orleans and north to Baton Rouge before but wld love to do it again.

Many thanks in advance.

cruisecrasy,

May I suggest to check the Majestic America Line board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

You might find more answers there.

The former Delta Queen Steamboat Company is now Majestic America Line

http://www.majesticamericaline.com/

There are 3 paddlewheel steamboats running overnight cruises, the Delta Queen, the Mississippi Queen and the American Queen. All three are quite different.

The Delta Queen is a historic steamboat built in 1927. She accomodates only app. 170 passengers. She has no elevators. Rooms are tiny and there aren´t too many amenities (no pool, no fitness room, no spa, no beauty shop). Anyway, this is my first love :D and will ever stay! Once you´re aboard you feel like part of the big steamboating family.

The Mississippi Queen was launched in 1976. She represents the style of the 1970ies. She´s a great indoor boat with the best floating bar on the rivers. And I personally love the chart room and the hughe viewing windows in the forward cabin lounge.

The American Queen is the youngest boat built in 1995. She represents Mark Twain´s dream of a perfect boat. She´s the largest steamboat ever built. But some say she´s not a real steamboat as her main propulsion are Z-drives (o.k. there´s a steam engine but she can only run by steam engine without using Z-drives downriver floating with the current). She´s simply a beauty!

AQ/MQ feature elevators, tiny pool (more like a hot tub size), beauty shop, movie theater, guest laundry, fitness room (sorry, no gambling on river cruise boats!). Both carry app. 400 passengers.

You will find lots of facts, photos and a couple of reviews on our website www.rivers-rails.com. I´ve just updated the AQ and the others will follow soon. I can´t guarantee on details like tips or onboard entertainment. Ambassadors International bought the Delta Queen Steamboat Company this April but the boats were still operated by Delaware North (the former owner). Ambassadors formed the new cruise line Majestic America Line. The AQ did undergo a major refurbishment, so will the MQ and partly the DQ. AQ/MQ will now feature TV/DVD and sound system, bathrobes, massage showerheads, makeup mirror and more. I don´t have any clue what else will be new by 2007. I updated our website as far as I found new details on the MAL website but the rest is still facts as of 2006.

Best intinerary? Tough question! I did the whole Mississippi River, Ohio River, Illinois River and parts of the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. My favorites are the Upper Mississippi River St. Louis - St. Paul (upriver, not downriver). The landscape is getting more and more beautiful the farther you get. Lots of wildlife. Fall foliage is great there. And you´re in Mark Twain land! Another of my favorites is Pittsburgh-Cincinnati(or Louisville).

The landscape out of New Orleans isn´t very spectecular. But if you love antebellum homes a New Orleans roundtrip (up to Natchez and Vicksburg) are a great idea.

You can also find my reviews linked in my signature. You may find loads of photos on our www.steamboats.org website (and a message board).

steamboats

Archived