Doing Dunn Falls alone

dangerouslymoody

It was my impression when I was there that you pay an admission fee and the use of a guide with a small group was included in your admission, although you are expected to tip the guide. I don't see any point in trying to climb it without the guide. You pay the same admission whether you use the guide or not. May likely save money to take a taxi to the falls rather than doing a ship excursion, but it would depend on the cost of a taxi. Admission to the falls used to be $15 per person. Don't know if that has changed.

Have you considered one of the private tour operators? I felt it was well worth the money and got so much more.

I don’t know if it saves money but I highly recommend going it alone. We just got back a weak ago and did not use a guide. The guides lead groups, often large groups, up holding hands. These groups were constantly waiting for each other to catch up. You also had to follow the guide’s path. There are several different ways up the falls and most of the time we went around the groups and up our own way. This was much more fun.

You can get a locker for $8 and get $3 back when you return the lock. Several back packs can fit in one locker. Bring water shoes and a water proof camera.

We really enjoyed setting our own pace and route. For us I can see no way a guide would have been of any benefit only a hindrance, imho.

Did Dunns River at Thanksgiving. We used Mark Morris for our tour guide. He picked us up at the ship in an new airconditioned van. He drove us to Dunns River. He gave us a backround on the island. Our deal with Mark included our entrance fee. He walked us down to the falls and got us a guide. He held our stuff while we climbed. I was with a party of 13 ranging in age from 13 to 50. I cannot imagine doing it without a guide. Our guide was amazing. He lead us up the falls. Some of us held hands and some were on their own. He showed us where to walk every step of the way. The falls are dangerous and slippery. He knew where every crevace and slippery rock was. There were people around us that did not have a guide and they were falling and slipping and twisting ankles all around us. Our guide also took photos from everyones camera during the entire climb. Mark was on the sidelines walking up next to us the entire time. He never left our side at Dunns River and there are some pretty scarey people there. Contact Mark for tour of a life time. He was the best part about our trip to Jamaica. We had him the entire day. He took us back to the ship after the climb so we could have lunch and change into dry clothes and then took us shopping afterwards. You wont go wrong with Mark Morris.

anyone know what the cab ride would cost? and we are a group of 6. would the cab ride work for us, or would we have to find 2 cabs? is it easy to find a cab? you just grab that right where you get off the ship? and if it's $15 per person to get into the falls, is that regardless of age?

Go it alone - no problem mon

easy to find a cab that a small van type vehicle - it is only a couple of miles from pier to the park. I've walked and ridden a bike - but do NOT recommend either option unless you are very familair with the roads in JA

DRF is actually just a park - you pay a fee to enter the park. I believe the guides work for tips .... not really 'employees'

been there dozens of times, spend the entire day - have group cookouts on the beach - climbed the falls on and off all day.

there are ways to get around the gauntlet of vendors but the easiest way is to just say 'no thanks' and KEEP MOVING! Once you stop and look they figure they are at least half way to a sale.....

I've heard the water at Dunns River Falls is extremely cold, what do you wear? Swimsuits? Maybe with a tee-shirt over it?

oh gosh! that would definitely be great to be prepared for! especially with children! i guess i assumed it's the "caribbean" and it will be warm! would love to know if it's not going to be warm.

also, if the tubing is a 15 min cab ride away, then how much is the fee for that? and is there an age limit? i.e. will they let a parent ride down holding an infant? or is the water not calm enough for that?

anyone know what the cab ride costs?

We were there in January and water wasn't "cold" at all. It was probably mid 70s - 80 temp. Hard to tell exactly, but I don't recall thinking or saying wow, that's cold. We did wear t-shirts to climb though.

You are also from New England - 80 imo is cold - especially when you live in fl and Ocean temps in the summer are close to 90

If we snorkel in temps at 80 or below we where a wet suit.

I was there in August. I did a tour that had nothing to do with DRF, but the driver asked us if we wanted to go there, so those of us that did went and others went back to the ship. I decided to do it alone, but ended up joining a tour that had paid more money - i just grabbed their hands! I only got to the middle since I knew my guide was coming back soon. It was fabulous! I know when I go back with my family they have to see it!

You are also from New England - 80 imo is cold - especially when you live in fl and Ocean temps in the summer are close to 90

If we snorkel in temps at 80 or below we where a wet suit.

That's funny and true, it is cold to you, but not to us. Funny how that is. We get excited when the ocean water temps reach about 68 degrees (which isn't too often) off the coast of Maine in August.

Just a question about the falls...DH uses a cane unable to climb the falls... but can do stairs. I have read there is a stair case. Does anyone have any info about this? He really wants to see Dunn falls.

Thankyou in advance.

Peace, Anna:)

I have read there is a stair case. Does anyone have any info about this?

Good Question! I want to know about the stair case, too. Does it go all the way to the top? And, do you still pay the same admission fee, or is that fee only if you are going to climb the falls???

there is a stair case next to the falls.

One enters the park at the top of the falls

typically people walk down the stairs to the beach area and climb the falls back to the parking area

the stairs are not always 'immediately adjacent' to the falls, but usually so, with some secial viewing areas.

break

with regard to water temp - the falls are a stream of water coming from the mountains. Not the run off of a melting icecap ... but the natural runoff from higher elevations. The temp on a warm day is 'refreshing' shall we say. It will NOT turn your toes blue :cool: .

However - on a cloudy - cool day - YES, they DO happen in Jam' - it will feel like ICE.

On cool days ... I din't go. On hot days the cool water feels GREAT.

That's funny and true, it is cold to you, but not to us. Funny how that is. We get excited when the ocean water temps reach about 68 degrees (which isn't too often) off the coast of Maine in August.

68? :eek: Yikes! 80 must feel like bath water to you.

68? :eek: Yikes! 80 must feel like bath water to you.

That is it does. ;) :D All we need are some bubbles and we have a jacuzzi tub (kidding).

ecs, yes you pay a fee to enter the entire area, not just to climb. I believe it is a National Park.

Rianvi - yes, the stairs go all the way to the top (or bottom) depending on your point of view. You must walk down them to begin your climb. Think big concrete slabs as opposed to small wooden stairs and you can get an idea of what it is like. As the good capt mentioned, they are not always immediately adjacent to the falls, but you are never far away. There are spots along the way to climb in and swim in "pools" if you can do that. Some people may also end their climb early by getting out as well. You will enjoy it I think.

Archived