Tulum, Coba or Muyil?!

IM Alaska bound

My order of preference would be Coba, tulum, Muyil .... here's my take on at least a couple of them.

Coba is a bit less commericial than Tulum, and yes, the ruin sites are spread more apart. But you will be there in February and the jungle isn't too unbearably hot then. You can rent bycicles to get around as well. Coba gives you a sense of the history and the land. Here you can climb one of the tallest pyramids ion the area. The view from near the top is incredible.

Tulum overlooks the cea, and is a beautiful location. yes, it's more touristy, but it will give you more of a sense of the history and day to day life of the ancient Maya. The difference between Tulum and Coba IMHO, is Tulum is more restored and with the proper tour guide will give you a sense of the day to day mayan life.

Muyil I have not been to yet, but from what I understand it is quite small and not really restored. I suspect this is where you'd go to say you've seen ruins when you don't have enough time to visit one of the larger sites. I think this is near Sian Ka'an bio reserve, so there might be somethnig that combines the two sites.

Having said that, my first trip to Coba was before it was a popular site to visit, and I'd say it was our best adventure ever. We may not have had much of a clue what we were looking at, but it was amazing walking through the old structures. My take on the ruins is you can't really go wrong going to any of them.

Essentially, I agree with BSQ.

My first choice would be Coba (and yes when I was there you could climb the big pyramid (and it is BIG). Rent a bike or take a pedi-cab to get around the site.

Tulum is very scenic but relatively small (in comparison to Coba).

I like both of them but my first choice would be Coba.

I have not been to Muyil - so I can't comment.

IM Alaska bound- Please Forgive, I am Not trying To Hijackyour thread.

Photocruiser: Just wanted To say that those Shots are Fantastic!!! I Only Hope i can get pictures this Good when I Visit Tulum this March.

ISTDS

In Sept we went to both Tulum and Coba on the same trip but not from Coz. To get to Coba you have to go by Tulum. The ruins and climb at Coba are great as they are not commericialized (YET). Pedi cabs are available($9pp) and there are plenty of them. We walked instead as we had a guide and did not want to miss anything. Had a guide for 90mins not worth the $45.

You can tour Tulum in an hour. We got there when they opened at 8a and the buses didnt arrive until after 930. Timing is critical as it takes about an hour to get from PDC to Tulum and another 45mins to Coba. They are doing road contruction on the highway.

Bring snacks and water as it is a long day. Our guide enoyed jerky, pringles and PB &J sandwiches. We hired at driver so we were not dependant on catching a taxi, collectivo or bus. If you are traveling from Coz you will need to look at the Ferry schedule to help with timing.

Muyil is not worth the journey just to see it but you could always see both Muyil and Tulum and make it back in time.

Ranking:

1. Coba - climb 2nd largest pyramid in Yucatan

2. Tulum - only ruins on the water, grounds well kept, lots of igunas

3. Muyil - work in progress from what I've read.

Hope this helps...Rick

Thank you, Zeno.

Are pedi-cabs readily available? (I assume they are the guys on the bikes?) That would address one of my concerns of bringing my mom who doesn't walk as far as she used to!

Perfect for your mother! And yes there is a guy peddling you - two people fit on one pedi-cab

IM Alaska bound- Please Forgive, I am Not trying To Hijackyour thread.

Photocruiser: Just wanted To say that those Shots are Fantastic!!! I Only Hope i can get pictures this Good when I Visit Tulum this March.

ISTDS

Thank you. Patience, a good eye and knowledge of your equipment are key to good photos. Take your time and roam around the area as it is magnificent. It is the only Mayan City built over the Caribbean.

Photocruiser

thank you photocruiser for really amazing photos.

My husband and I are visiting Tulum in March 2007 and are excited about it.

Great photography!

Ellen

Hi marie61

Wife and I will be there last week Of March. Maybe we will see you then

Archived