Will they kick you off

Count me in on this one. Booze, okay if you can get away with it.

But no irons. Irons present a real danger of fire, and fire at sea is a danger to everyone. Leave the iron home.

Booze, iron-----Why do some people INSIST on breaking rules?:(

I guess I am confused. Why would any of you posters encourage a child (at least that's what the op seems to be when he talks of his mom etc.) to bring liquor on a ship???????

If adults want to do that and take a chance, that's your business--I'm not getting into a discussion about whether it's right or wrong. Telling someone underage to drink is crazy. If someone encouraged my underage child to drink, I'd be after him/her like a madwoman. Do you really know what would happen to someone underage? Good chance he would be put off the ship.

OP, if I am wrong and you are 21 or over, I apologize, but your questions make me believe you aren't. Posters, if I am wrong, I apologize to you too.

Katie

Clothes steamers that are low voltage, stay cool to the touch, and only work with hot water are not a fire hazard. If I had to send out all the clothes I steam when I unpack, I'd go broke.....overpackers-r-us....:D

I have read on a previous booze thread that someone was booted off the ship, but that's because they became belligerent and verbally abusive. It's a next port kind of thing. Apologize, sign the paper, go back to your cabin....all is well.

Men usually wear casual beach attire during the day. Contrary to what 48169 says, and in agreement with Jim M: swimwear and bare feet are no-no's even in the casual dining areas. Yes, the supervisor will ask you to leave if he sees you. Average nightwear is dockers or nice slacks, collared shirt, and SHOES on casual nights.

See... I don't really get all of this... I mean, there's no prohibition on bringing livestock aboard or chainsaws... Isn't there really a much greater risk in being trampled by a stampede of potbellied pigs or having someone cut a hole in the bottom of the ship than there is in someone enjoying a cocktail or glass of wine in his or her cabin? I wonder if there's a different motive behind the alcohol prohibition?

Have to go round up a few piglets, then pack. See you all onboard.

Addendum: To the OP, if you are underage, don't smuggle alcohol, livestock or chainsaws onto the ship.

Jim

I guess I am confused. Why would any of you posters encourage a child (at least that's what the op seems to be when he talks of his mom etc.) to bring liquor on a ship???????

If adults want to do that and take a chance, that's your business--I'm not getting into a discussion about whether it's right or wrong. Telling someone underage to drink is crazy. If someone encouraged my underage child to drink, I'd be after him/her like a madwoman. Do you really know what would happen to someone underage? Good chance he would be put off the ship.

OP, if I am wrong and you are 21 or over, I apologize, but your questions make me believe you aren't. Posters, if I am wrong, I apologize to you too.

Katie

I thought the same thing(not that we were encouraging him,just that he was underage) ,but then got sidetracked with the iron thing....:p

Just looked............profile says age is 27........

See... I don't really get all of this... I mean, there's no prohibition on bringing livestock aboard or chainsaws... Isn't there really a much greater risk in being trampled by a stampede of potbellied pigs or having someone cut a hole in the bottom of the ship than there is in someone enjoying a cocktail or glass of wine in his or her cabin? I wonder if there's a different motive behind the alcohol prohibition?

Have to go round up a few piglets, then pack. See you all onboard.

Addendum: To the OP, if you are underage, don't smuggle alcohol, livestock or chainsaws onto the ship.

Jim

OMG That is too funny!!!!

Katie

I am not a him...I am a she :) and i am 27...old enough to drink. I only mentioned my mother because the whole family is going on this cruise as our "Christmas" and i mentioned to her about sneaking a bottle on....

When I was reading some of the replies, I began to wonder if one of the reasons that the alcohol rule is in place is because of import/export laws and since the ship is considered "in" any country it is docked at then maybe it would also have to do with the laws of that port... just a thought.

My steward filled my cooler full of beer twice a day. No problem getting

all my libations on the ship in my checked luggage.

sorry couldn't resist, he filled your cooler full of BEER ? LOL. (yes I know meant he filled it with ice);)

I can answer this one:)

On the 13th of Oct Granduer sailing, I had not received two pieces of our luggage after our first seating.

DW called down and inquired, as we had received other pieces.

Person on the phone told me to report to the "principals" office to claim our luggage.

When I went to the assigned room a couple of decks down, an officer was sitting there surrounded by at least 50 pieces of luggage.

There were also passangers coming and going.

Oh boy, I wouldn't want HIS job! LOL

[/color]its one thing to bring your favorite spirits on board, because it really does not affect me, but the IRON thing does, its called a fire hazard. People die in fires. When someones illegal actions could have a direct effect on me its time to speak up. I am right for saying this and you are wrong for doing this!!! I know people like you will justify jour actions with some lame excuse, but you are only fooling yourself!

Clap clap clap. Agree 100 per cent.

We were boarding Empress in San Juan two years ago and approached the check through area when one of the crew said..."We are doing random checks, may we search your bags?" (we had two carry ons.)

We said.."No". (tired after a long day)

They said.."OK, fine"...Do you have any alcohol?"

We said..."No".

They said..."enjoy your cruise"

I think it was the ONLY cruise that we didn't have liquor with us!!

Don't know what would have happened IF we had smuggled but I don't think we'd have been kicked off!!

On another note, we sailed on Explorer twice in '06, had liquor in our carry ons and it went right through....no one gave us a second look.

I thought the same thing(not that we were encouraging him,just that he was underage) ,but then got sidetracked with the iron thing....:p

Just looked............profile says age is 27........

I did notice what the profile said, but I still had the feeling he isn't that age. As I said, I could be wrong. Call it "Mother's instinct."

Katie

for bringing alcohol in your suitcase or just take it until the end? my mom says the rules state if they catch you with "smuggling" alcohol then they can kick you off...how common is that?

Also, what is the average daily attire for guys? Is it normal for guys to walk around in just swim shorts, no shirt?

No they won't kick you off and swimsuits no shirt is pool attire.

Booze, iron-----Why do some people INSIST on breaking rules?:(

Why do cruise companies think they can rob me ? A $7 bottle of Robert Mondovi Private select they are robbing passangers $33.95. Yes they are entitiled to a profit but not robbery. I went to sports bar they charged $20, which I thought was fair because they are entitled to make a profit.:eek:

I'm looking into the gift baskets you can purchase through a private company. I'm going to call on Tues to get prices, most of them have websites with minimal info on them. They deliver wine or whatever to your cabin before sailing. It's probably cheaper. I have always brought my own on board, but now I am afraid to chance it. I have a 12 yr old that likes to have a drink in the cabin before dinner. JUST KIDDING!!! :p hehehehe:D

Count me in on this one. Booze, okay if you can get away with it.

But no irons. Irons present a real danger of fire, and fire at sea is a danger to everyone. Leave the iron home.

agree here as well. pack the booze, leave the iron home and bring a bottle of downey wrinkle releaser instead... it is great stuff and really works :)

Just to add to this without reading everything (sorry, it's a personal story/observation from last cruise).

We had an unusual situation with our dinner table. No one showed up. After a couple of nights they moved another couple over and then, a lone man showed up at the table.......with a story.

Seems he had boarded the ship with his then girlfriend. Girlfriend evidentally (only got his side of the story) and some issues with alcohol but, they smuggled several bottles of wine and booze onboard with them without incident.

Then the fun began, they got into a nasty fight. Security was called and the female companion ratted him out for the smuggled booze (blamed it all on him). The captain was summened to the room, the liquor was uncovered and the passengers were told that RCI had a "zero tolerence" policy. They were told they both could be thrown off the ship.

So did they throw them off the ship? Nope, they just moved the man to a different cabin and told them to stay away from each other. If they were caught together they would both be tossed from the ship. As he told this story I was thinking it sounded a LOT a situation that happened on Brilliance in the Med. except the KNEW this couple was fighting and alcohol was involved.

IMO, if RCI didn't toss this couple for fear of another body ending up lost in the water under mysterious circumstances with alcohol involved and a known fight between the couple, they're not going to toss anybody off the ship for just smuggling a bottle of booze onto the ship.

Again, just my observtion with only one side of a story on our last cruise.

IMO, if RCI didn't toss this couple for fear of another body ending up lost in the water under mysterious circumstances with alcohol involved and a known fight between the couple, they're not going to toss anybody off the ship for just smuggling a bottle of booze onto the ship.

Again, just my observtion with only one side of a story on our last cruise.

That coud have a lot of interesting outcomes... it is surprising though that they were separated and told they could not be in contact with one another.. wonder if they reconsiled on land? and what if the used to be GF decided to find a new cruising companion on board, and the used to be BF saw them? Wonder what would have happened then? lots of possibilities with that one.....

See... I don't really get all of this... I mean, there's no prohibition on bringing livestock aboard or chainsaws...

I was all set to pack my potbellied pig and chainsaw till I got my cruise documents a couple days ago and read this:

2(a) Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry up to two hundred pounds (200 lbs.) of luggage aboard the Vessel. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property without wrtten permission from Carrier.

Archived