HAL Amsterdam vs. HAL Zuiderdam

pisces1

Have tentative holds on both ships and need advice. Was told in an earlier posting that Vancouver R/T is much better than Seattle R/T. Seattle however, would infinitely be a better choice for us for a multitude of reasons so trying to see if we would be making a mistake for choosing Amsterdam and thus sacrificing what we want to see most...Alaska.

Also, Amsterdam has the first accommodation choice and Zuiderdam has our second choice. From Seattle the ship goes to Stephens passage/Juneau/Glacier Bay/Sitka/Ketchikan/Victoria. From Vancouver, inside passage, Tracy Arm, & Sawyer Glaciers/Juneau/Skagway/Glacier Bay/Ketchikan.

Is the second itinierary infinitely better? I know the first day on Amsterdam is not the best since you are out to sea and the Vancouver trip is scenic from the get go. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes I have read the information about how easy it is to get to Vancouver via Amtrak/shuttle etc. from Seattle.

There are a zillion different opinions about Alaska cruising! Don't obsess over the details, or one person's opinion over another! Alaska cruising is GREAT and there are thousands of satisified passengers on every ship and itinerary.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either of the two cruises you listed. Both of them will be wonderful.

We had a magnificent cruise on the Zuiderdam last summer. You can check our report and pictures here:

Zuiderdam to Alaska

Whichever you pick, have a GREAT cruise!

>>Seattle however, would infinitely be a better choice for us for a multitude of reasons ...<<

I would say that that statement alone makes the decision easy. What you miss on a Seattle departure is sailing up the Inside Passage (east of Vancouver Island) the first day. A lof of that is in the dark, though, so it's not a deal-breaker. Beyond that, I agree with Mike that you'll be thrillled with either of them.

Murray

I'm going to vote for Zuiderdam itinerary. You have Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glaciers but you also have Glacier Bay. If weather is bad at one, you still have the chance of seeing some major calving at the other. Also, I don't really care for open sea cruising, would rather be on the Inside of Vancouver Island.

Amsterdam is a smaller ship (and I believe older) than Zuiderdam, so that might be a consideration for you.

After re-reading your post, sounds like you have already made your choice of the Amsterdam. Don't really think you will lose anything of Alaska. And Sitka is a lovely town with lots of Russian History, with Victooria being a lovely port too. Enjoy your cruise.:p

I forgot to ask. What time does it get dark in late May?

For Skagway on May 22:

Begin civil twilight 3:06 a.m.

Sunrise 4:13 a.m.

Sun transit 12:58 p.m.

Sunset 9:45 p.m.

End civil twilight 10:53 p.m.

This data is from http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Basically, the sun is probably up longer than you'll be :D

Murray

My two cents are go for Seattle and the Amsterdam! I was faced with the same decision you are facing about six weeks ago.

You seem sold on the Amsterdam except for some of the things you've read here. I read the same things. Please remember everyone travels under different circumstances.

A retired couple may think the most important part of cruising is the inside passage which would lead them to depart from Vancouver on the Zuiderdam.

A history professor may want the Amsterdam because of Sitka's rich history.

A rail buff may want the Zuiderdam because Skagaway has an excursion on a train.

Families may want the Amsterdam because it includes an extra port (important for my family).

Everyone is different! Use this board as a guide, but don't let it dictate your vacation!

The itineraries of the Zuiderdam & Amsterdam are a bit different. the Zuiderdam gives you Skagaway instead of Sitka. The Amsterdam gives you the last night in Victoria, B.C.. Frankly, I liked the Zuiderdam's itinerary better. However, I thought Amsterdam would be better for my 13 year old daughter because it has an extra port. We're from Florida and want to see as many places as possible on a journey that far .:)

We chose Seattle and the Amsterdam because air fare was cheaper and easier from our home state of Florida. Hotels in Seattle are more reasonable too! We also got a better deal on our cabin.

The Amsterdam is a wonderful ship. You won't go wrong sailing on it!

Archived