Internet Access = $30 an hour or $1000 for Cruise - Stealing?

armandpaul

I tend to wonder if one of the real reasons they charge so much for the internet access. Given that there's a fixed amount available, and that all ships in a region are probably using part of the same pool of bandwidth available (especially in the sat back to earth portion). I'm guessing that the platinum and elite people that are using it are considered to be a low enough percentage that it's not considered a problem. It's also why I suspect we're a long ways from seeing unlimited wireless for platinum or elite people, because suddenly it's too easy to use that bandwidth.

Satellite internet is definitely a different beast from your traditional landline based internet. If you're unlucky enough to have to use it because it's you're only option (generally because you're too rural for anything else), you get stuck with a service that has pretty bad latencies, and some rather draconian bandwidth control methods.

Now, I'm not saying that part of it's also just not sheer profiting from the situation. That's pretty much a given too (plus, they have to make up for the fact that those platinum and elite people aren't paying their share, heck, probably takes the rest of the ship to make up for Tony :) ). (And before anyone jumps on that, that's a joke.)

I believe most of the folks who cruise enjoy the freedom FROM the office, Internet, telephones, Fax machines etc

Not having any phone or internet access on a cruise would be a dealbreaker for me. I suspect that's true of most cruisers -- hence, the onboard internet cafes and new cellular services.

When we go on vacation, that's exactly what we do - vacation. We don't call home, we don't check in at the office, heck, we don't even turn on the news on the in-room TV. After two weeks at sea we don't even know what day it is.

I've retired from one job (whenI was 48 years old) and have taken another. What I learned was that you are like a finger in a bucket of water in any job you hold. When you leave, the finger comes out of the bucket and there are a couple of ripples but life goes on. Those remianing in the bucket won't hardly recall your name in month.

If you need to work this hard on a vacation, why vacation? It seems to me the original poster is now paying Princess to allow him to work, instead on allowing him to vacation. He's paying for office space in a piss poor office.

We work to live, not live to work. You're not on earth for a long time so you better be here for a good time.

You see...I can easily take 2 weeks, and not worry about a thing. But 4 weeks is considered a little much.

Also, I'm making twice what I used to make, in this job...and I'm not willing to give it up just because I have to check my email once in a while on a sea day.

I'm ALSO taking some online courses toward a degree program, and they require attention regardless of my vacation plans.

THAT's why I chose an intinerary where there were ports I'd visited already, and sea days...in addition to the ports I haven't seen yet.

I don't understand why people can't get around the notion of having the best of both worlds. I don't resent checking-in, in the least. It ensures my future success and gives me the financial wherewithall to afford the housing, transporation, vacations, & clothing on which I tend to splurge.

I wish you well and hope you succeed with your ambitions. There is nothing wrong with ambition and trying to better oneself in terms of having a comfortable lifestyle.

I have been there and done that and realised that you actually get no thanks for going the extra mile with the majority of employers.

Thats why I switch off from work as soon as I leave the office. I pick holiday intineries to places I have not been before, that way I maximise my time to see new things. I get 8 weeks holiday a year and spend 7 of those weeks abroad each year seeing new places without the worries of work following me. I alway go back refreshed and ready for the new challenges ahead. I also realised a long time ago that the world won't fall apart because I am not there.

Case of Ready, Fire, Aim. If internet access was that important and necessary, and the cost was a factor, it would seem to me it would be imprudent to not check it out before hand.

Too bad he didn't find CC pre cruise as internet costs are discussed all the time. :o .....and only found it post cruise to complain. :(

Why would the OP think the cost would be the same (or equivalent) on a ship, plane, ??? as it is at home.

Well said.

Can you imagine what he'll say if Princess raises the price between now and his cruise?

If it's so expensive, why does Princess give it away to Platinum and above members? It would seem that if it were as costly as you claim, they would need more control over the usage

They do control the usage, even for platinum/elite members.

-- you're restricted to the internet cafe.

Truly unlimited would include wireless atrium, or wired/wireless in-cabin

access. With a free in-cabin access, there would be folks who

would stay connected for their entire cruise.

They also control the total bandwidth available to passengers,

by splitting the bandwidth -- they're able to allocate some to

pax, and some to ship services. ...completely controlling the

usage that "they're giving away".

My wife and I both need to stay in regular contact with our respective businesses while we are gone. In April we were on the Diamond for thirty days. And the internet charges were somewhat costly. We mitigated this somewhat by downloading email to a laptop, replying, and uploading the replies. Before this trip, we had been spreading our business among several cruise lines, but we decided to concentrate our business on Princess until we achieved Platinum status, which we have now done. Several two day repositioning trips helped us achieve this result economically. There is an economic solution to OP's problem. They just have to work at it.

If the business proves it can function without you....then there's an improved chance that it will choose to function without you :mad: in the future.

So you are worried that if the business can manage to function without for for a couple weeks while you are on vacation that they will replace you? If you are that easily replaceable, by someone covering for your vacation, maybe your not as good at your job as you think you are.

Princess has 2 goals. The first is to get you back on another cruise. The second, and MOST important, is to get as much revenue per passenger day as possible from all revenue areas of the ship. Communication is just one of these revenue sources. Princess will charge what the market will bear. If everyone reduced useage and Princess had excess capacity, then I can assure you that rates would go down. The internet area always seems fairly busy to me so why would Princess reduce the price? They probably have a pricing formula that indicates the pricing matrix to achieve maximum revenue for the amount of available bandwidth. And my guess is that they have it down to a science-hourly by sea and shore days.

If it's so expensive, why does Princess give it away to Platinum and above members? It would seem that if it were as costly as you claim, they would need more control over the usage, and its effect on the bottom line. Yet they are giving it away, unlimited, making the cost per voyage an unknown variable week-to-week.

They give it away to us because they have already gotten lots of money from us, and will get even more from us by keeping us as loyal passengers. A lot of us started cruising when the prices were much higher and we didn't complain about the prices being so high then. Now everyone wants a dirt cheap cruise price and free upgrades and everything given to them. If constant high speed internet access is so necessary then you need to make choices. If the internet was too cheap, there would be too many people hogging the computers. I am happy with the way Princess handles it. We were on the Star Clipper and they have internet and you have to buy an allotment and people were complaining about how bad it was. Many times they couldn't even get connected.

If you DEMAND the ability to work, then you really need to do your homework far better than you have!!

YOU need to figure out what vacations allow you to access your office at a price you find acceptable, NOT expect that your chosen vacation will allow you to work to your expectations.

DH owns a law firm, and we both own real estate management firms. We do need to be in touch during vacation. BUT, we research what our internet access will be (if we have it at all) and what it will cost us, well before we make any sort of reservation. It is OUR responsibility to choose the right vacation for us, including access to our offices and what it will cost.

While I realize you don't work for yourself, for those of us that do:

no work = no money.

There is not a fixed paycheck that we get, so we have more of an incentive to be in touch!

I do hope that you find the right vacation for you - everyone needs a chance to get away and relax - and that it meets all of your needs.:)

Apparently, YOU need to reread the thread. I'm not complaining about what it costs.

I just expect it to be available, becuase when I DID my homework, they said it was available.

I have found the right vacation, so I think you must intend your comments for someone else.

So you are worried that if the business can manage to function without for for a couple weeks while you are on vacation that they will replace you? If you are that easily replaceable, by someone covering for your vacation, maybe your not as good at your job as you think you are.

I'm reasonably convinced that you're right. At least part of my success in this job is pure luck. I landed in the right place, at the right time.

But now that I bring in 5 times the average FAMILY income, and 2.5 times as much as the highest earner of my friends....checking email for 10 minutes, every 3rd day is not enough of an imposition to let it cause me concern. What I find is so interesting, is that it apparently causes so much concern for so many CC members. :rolleyes:

If I worked in a manufacturing plant, or as a CSR, or somesuch thing (which I've done in the past), I would have no problem leaving things behind. But when you manage a sales territory where your customers are repeat buyers, or if you own your own business, it's a different beast.

Princess has 2 goals. The first is to get you back on another cruise. The second, and MOST important, is to get as much revenue per passenger day as possible from all revenue areas of the ship. Communication is just one of these revenue sources. Princess will charge what the market will bear. If everyone reduced useage and Princess had excess capacity, then I can assure you that rates would go down. The internet area always seems fairly busy to me so why would Princess reduce the price? They probably have a pricing formula that indicates the pricing matrix to achieve maximum revenue for the amount of available bandwidth. And my guess is that they have it down to a science-hourly by sea and shore days.

Would the internet area be as busy if everyone had to pay? Could be most of the crowds are getting it for free?

I really don't use it myself except on my last cruise, where I printed out boarding passes for $2.00 on RCI. I have an "Out of Office" message on my email asking people to contact an alternate person if there is an emergency. Most of the time there is nothing I can do while on vacation anyway, except refer them to someone else. Most of the time they prefer to wait until I'm back and I really wish they wouldn't. :)

I am in the postition of Spongerob, in my job I am the only person who is trained to do what I do. So for vacation I have to pre do everything. Two weeks is the max I can leave.

On a cruise I do check e-mail daily but only for a couple minutes. That is to make sure nothing has happened with one fo the dogs while being boarded, or if something happens at work I can talk the owner through things.

To me checking e-mail when I feel like it is much better than being tied to a cell phone. A good cruise for me is one where I never hear phone ring.

If it's so expensive, why does Princess give it away to Platinum and above members? It would seem that if it were as costly as you claim, they would need more control over the usage, and its effect on the bottom line. Yet they are giving it away, unlimited, making the cost per voyage an unknown variable week-to-week.

Since you are knowledgeable about the subject, can you shed some light on the reason why the cost went up, instead of down?

The Internet service is given to these members yes, but they are basing it on the idea that the majority of people will not be using it all day long every day. If that happened the service would grind to a halt.

As for the cost, people have ideas that Princess just pays a monthly payment, and they do sort of, however do you think the installation was free? How much do you think the equipment costs these days? Also the cost that Princess pays has to be recovered and remember they are a business so they need to not only recover the costs, they need to make a profit. But the cost for guests reflects the price of the service.

The service has limitations like I said before, each user is capped in the amount of bandwidth he has to prevent one person from hogging all of it. Bandwidth satellite time is expensive, that's just a fact. If too many people log on the service will overload and everyone will lose it. That is why people cannot have 24/7 service, because the bandwidth is not wide enough. You can try to rationalise it and say 'Well if that is the case why this and that,' but the facts remain the same. As time goes by and technology improves the price will be reduced.

When did the cost go up?

As for the cost, people have ideas that Princess just pays a monthly payment, and they do sort of, however do you think the installation was free? How much do you think the equipment costs these days? Also the cost that Princess pays has to be recovered and remember they are a business so they need to not only recover the costs, they need to make a profit. But the cost for guests reflects the price of the service.

It's not sort it is...:rolleyes:

FYI Admiral, the only additional cost to Princess is the seperate router they use for the MTN system for wireless internet vs Internet Cafe which is on seperate router as well. (is what's it's called onboard Princess Ships). there is no additional soft or hard costs to provide it FREE to pax's who have attained Elite or Platinum. The Company pays a flat monthly fee for the saltelite connection wether they talk on it one minute or 50000 hours. It's a bulk rate.

I don't blame the Company at all in sourcing a new revenue generation as this.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

The Internet service is given to these members yes, but they are basing it on the idea that the majority of people will not be using it all day long every day. If that happened the service would grind to a halt.

The service has limitations like I said before, each user is capped in the amount of bandwidth he has to prevent one person from hogging all of it. Bandwidth satellite time is expensive, that's just a fact. If too many people log on the service will overload and everyone will lose it. That is why people cannot have 24/7 service, because the bandwidth is not wide enough. You can try to rationalise it and say 'Well if that is the case why this and that,' but the facts remain the same. As time goes by and technology improves the price will be reduced.

When did the cost go up?

You shouldn't be questioning Tony's all knowing expertise!

Ron

When did the cost go up?

I am not "rationalizing" anything, just asking questions to understand the logic. Prices for technology usually go down over time, and have in this case until the rate went from $.35 to $.50 per minute recently. On the first page of this thread is the discussion that talked about rates beginning somewhere just under $1.00 per minute in the beginning to the $.35 rate. Maybe they learned that $.35 was too low to recover costs, I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

I am not "rationalizing" anything, just asking questions to understand the logic. Prices for technology usually go down over time, and have in this case until the rate went from $.35 to $.50 per minute recently. On the first page of this thread is the discussion that talked about rates beginning somewhere just under $1.00 per minute in the beginning to the $.35 rate. Maybe they learned that $.35 was too low to recover costs, I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

It could be that giving the Gold and Platinum members free access has pushed up the price to recover costs. I'm not sure if that is in fact the case. I will have to check.

Archived