Corkage

armandpaul

Actually, the corkage has gone from $10 to $15 relatively recently, last summer perhaps. It's kind of a moot point for us, as we have never been charged a corkage fee for our own wine :D ! It's up to your waiter and head waiter whether you get charged. We usually buy a couple of bottles, then bring in a couple of our own.

While many folks have not had to pay corkage, we did every single night of an 18 day cruise on the Regal!! We had a lovely head waiter but he stuck to the corkage fees. We knew about them before we went and had no problem paying the extra money to drink the wine we enjoyed.

In 2004 the fee was $10. It was raised to $15 earlier this year.

Cheers, Denise

Princess publishes a $10 charge for corkage - but on ship they refuse to honor the price and charge $15 - they have never heard of false advertising and laws in US.

If you read your Passage Contract and Cruise Answer Book, you know the stuff you received before you cruised, you would have found where it said that corkage was $15..

We sailed the Crown Princess in late Sept. and then the Caribbean Princess in late November. For each sailing, our Passenger Contract stated $10.00 corkage charge. The first night we brought wine to the dining room and were charged $15.00. We said nothing to the waiter. The next morning we went to the purser's desk, told them the rate in our contract, and, without any argument, they told us they would make the correction on the previous evening's charge and also any more dining room corkage charges.

Our final bill did show corkage - $10.00 per bottle.

I got my cruise package last week for the Grand at the end of Feb.

the contract says $10 and the question/answer book says $15.:o

So thank you whynotnow for sharing how to make sure you get what is stated in your contract. Did you have multiple fees? Did you have to go to the purser multiple times?

Thanks.

Princess publishes a $10 charge for corkage - but on ship they refuse to honor the price and charge $15 - they have never heard of false advertising and laws in US.

Another Case of Ready, Fire, Aim. If wine with dinner was that important and cost was a factor, it would seem to me it would be imprudent to not check it out before hand.

Too bad he didn't find CC pre cruise as corkage fees are discussed all the time. :o .....and only found it post cruise to complain. :(

We sailed the Crown Princess in late Sept. and then the Caribbean Princess in late November. For each sailing, our Passenger Contract stated $10.00 corkage charge. The first night we brought wine to the dining room and were charged $15.00. We said nothing to the waiter. The next morning we went to the purser's desk, told them the rate in our contract, and, without any argument, they told us they would make the correction on the previous evening's charge and also any more dining room corkage charges.

Our final bill did show corkage - $10.00 per bottle.

Good info to know - if the contract says $10, you can get it changed. Sounds like they haven't updated the contract, would be an easy fix.

camNaud,

It may be a function of what state's laws you're familiar with.

Here in Virginia, there is no such thing as BYOB. But I grew up in New Jersey, where many restaurants are BYOB -- and they don't charge corkage! So in New Jersey, it is not at all unusual to bring your own wine to a restaurant.

Why would I bring my own wine on a cruise? Because my wife and I got engaged in a vineyard, and wanted to celebrate on the cruise with a bottle we bought at that vineyard.

...........these are the same people that publish the cruise fares.......and then discount them 10 to 50 percent.....:)

Page 2 of the Passage Contract I received a few weeks ago says "Carrier kindly requests that You do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free, from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call will be collected by Carrier personnel for safekeeping and delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of Carrier's security staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of Your alcoholic beverage purchases. A corkage fee of $10.00 per bottle will be applied to wine and champagne consumed in the ship's restaurant."

camNaud,

It may be a function of what state's laws you're familiar with.

Here in Virginia, there is no such thing as BYOB. But I grew up in New Jersey, where many restaurants are BYOB -- and they don't charge corkage! So in New Jersey, it is not at all unusual to bring your own wine to a restaurant.

Why would I bring my own wine on a cruise? Because my wife and I got engaged in a vineyard, and wanted to celebrate on the cruise with a bottle we bought at that vineyard.

Thanks for that abb4k,

I aways find these different ways of doing things quiet intriguing and it's great to get explanations.

Bringing your own bottle is unheard of in Scottish restuarants, it would be be considered almost insulting to the owner. As if his selection was not good enough.

I can understand however your example where you have bought from the vineyard where you got engaged. Very romantic :) .

From the September 2006 Passage Contract...

5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES

The minimum passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico and Transcanal

cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger

over the age of 21. In addition to proof of citizenship, regardless of the relationship of the adult traveling companion, all

children must have a notarized letter(s) of consent to travel signed by the non traveling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if

both parents or legal guardians are not traveling with the child. This written consent must be presented at embarkation

and accompany the child during his or her cruise. Children accompanied by only one parent must present a notarized

letter of consent to travel signed by the other parent, unless sole legal custody has been granted. In the case of divorce,

adoption or other circumstances, the parent or legal guardian is required to present proof of sole legal custody of the

child. The Passengers may be refused boarding if they are unable to produce documentation that the child may travel

with the adults who are present. No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No

Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship.

Carrier kindly requests that You do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for

consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free, from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call will be collected

by Carrier personnel for safekeeping and delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of

PASSAGE CONTRACT 09/06

PASSAGE CONTRACT

Carrier’s security staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of Your alcoholic beverage purchases. A corkage

fee of $15.00 per bottle will be applied to wine and champagne consumed in the ship’s restaurant.

From the September 2006 Passage Contract...

A corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle will be applied to wine and champagne consumed in the ship’s restaurant.

Yours is from September, and W0kie's is from a few weeks ago...yours says $15 and his says $10. Some customers aren't getting the updated contract, but a contract is a contract.

camNaud,

Wine in a Scottish restaurant?!? What about Scotch?!? :)

Scotch is only made for Japanese and American tourists you don't honestly think we would be mad enough to drink the stuff ourselves. :p

Of course we would lol :p but please bear in mind the following advice.

Never mix the grape with grain :eek: bad mix.

Archived