How Formal is Formal night?

darladelight

Hello Darladelight! With this being your first cruise, I would recommend dressing up as nice as what makes you comfortable. There is something special about your first cruise that will last in your memory above any others that you may take in the future. We rarely have the opportunity to dress up in our "daily grind" and felt classy. Amazing what clothes can do!lol:) Besides, don't you want to look simply "marvelous" in your formal night photos?:D Have a GREAT first cruise and come back to the boards to share your experience!

Vince

Unfortunately - i can pretty much only repeat what previous posters have said.

I've never felt out of place wearing a nice suit... and yet i've seen other men wearing tuxes.

again - as others have said - dress up to where you feel comfortable. Just no jean on formal night and you should be fine.

I am going on my first cruise in less than two months and I can't decide how to dress for Formal night. I want to wear a dress, but should I go cocktail dress, formal, semi formal? How formal is formal night? Any Ideas are appreciated
Hello We will be going on our first seven day cruise in 8 days. It is a 7 day cruise with 5 cocktail parties, and two formal nights. I will be taking 2 long dresses, a short dress, and a pantsuit. The first and last night are a little less dressy because you won't have your clothes available. The very first night I will wear a black skirt, and white cotton tank top, and jewelery(to dress it up abit). I sure hope this helped. I have been going crazy trying to figure everything out, but the boards really help.

The ten cruises I have been on the majority of women did not wear cocktail dresses on formal night; they wore formal gowns. Yes, many did wear cocktail dresses, but the clear majority wore gowns, especially the first formal night (on cruises that had more than one formal night.) You also see women in very dressy pants such as floaty "car wash" pants and palazzo pants with very dressy tops and jackets in formal fabrics.

The overall vibe of formal night is definitely formal and festive. A cocktail dress will do, if that is your preference, but more women will be in full length gowns.

Thanks for all the ideas. I found a cute white and black strapless dress. It hits just below my knee. I will be wearing strappy black shoes with black jewlery. I dont want to look older than I am, or younger for that matter. I think that as long as i dress like "me" I will be fine.

This will be my first cruise, too, so it came as a surprise to read the post that said you won't hve your suitcase by the first night's dinner? Is this true in most cases? If so, that would really make a difference in how we pack our carry-on. Thanks.

Also, my DH is not one to want to drag a suit along and certainly will not rent a tux. Is a dress shirt and tie acceptable for formal nights? How about dress pants and a sport coat? Just want to fit in but make him comfortable as well.

This will be my first cruise, too, so it came as a surprise to read the post that said you won't hve your suitcase by the first night's dinner? Is this true in most cases? If so, that would really make a difference in how we pack our carry-on. Thanks.

Also, my DH is not one to want to drag a suit along and certainly will not rent a tux. Is a dress shirt and tie acceptable for formal nights? How about dress pants and a sport coat? Just want to fit in but make him comfortable as well.

In most cases, you will receive your bags before dinner, but not always. I always pack a change of clothes in my carry-on just in case.

Dress shirt and tie for your DH? Acceptable? Yes - he certainly will not be refused entrance to the dining room. Dress pants w/ a jacket is much better. If he's willing to go with that, as far as comfort goes, there's no difference between that and a dark suit, which would be much better for formal night.

In most cases, you will receive your bags before dinner, but not always. I always pack a change of clothes in my carry-on just in case.

Dress shirt and tie for your DH? Acceptable? Yes - he certainly will not be refused entrance to the dining room. Dress pants w/ a jacket is much better. If he's willing to go with that, as far as comfort goes, there's no difference between that and a dark suit, which would be much better for formal night.

I think it depends what cruiseline you are on as to what is most appropriate.

• 1 month later...
You will see all kinds of clothes. From formal dresses to tea length, to cocktail dresses. Men either wear a suit, to a shirt and tie to a tux. The majority of women wear cocktail dresses and men wear suits.

is it unheard of for the ladies to wear very nice blouse w/jacket and slacks?

My last formal night was 1997. Back then it was a must for men to have a tux, and women were really dressed up. Like going to the prom all over again.

Your cruise line will have suggestions for dress that night.

That was my first and last formal night. I'm on vacation. I think more people then just me think that way. That is why you see more "optional" formal nights.

We've beem on at least 15 cruises and we've always had our luggage quite promptly, BUT there are always some who don't get theirs in time for dinner, for some reason or another.

On the last night they ask you to have your luggage outside your room quite early; maybe 7 PM, for pick up to be ready for unloading the next day. In all honesty, we don't usually make this early pick-up but wait until we retire to get our bags into the hall. But that's the reason the last night is more casual--many people will have packed everything except what will be needed for the night and next morning.

My last formal night was 1997. Back then it was a must for men to have a tux, and women were really dressed up. Like going to the prom all over again.

Your cruise line will have suggestions for dress that night.

That was my first and last formal night. I'm on vacation. I think more people then just me think that way. That is why you see more "optional" formal nights.

Have anyone else noticed that as the dress codes have become more and more relaxed, so has the level of ambiance on a cruise? That used to be what you went on a cruise for, was the ambiance that made it special. How many times in the course of a year does the average person get a chance to dress up formally in their life? Formal night is supposed to bring back the magic like that of your first big prom night in high school. Instead, it seems like there are so many bluejeans and tank tops on cruise ships these days that all the eating venues look like a McDonalds! You have the whole rest of your life to wear your blujeans, America, take two nights from one week out of your life and make it something special and magical to remember it by. Next year go to a dude ranch and wear your bluejeans all you want! At least there, it WILL add to the ambiance, pardner!!

Have anyone else noticed that as the dress codes have become more and more relaxed, so has the level of ambiance on a cruise? That used to be what you went on a cruise for, was the ambiance that made it special. How many times in the course of a year does the average person get a chance to dress up formally in their life? Formal night is supposed to bring back the magic like that of your first big prom night in high school. Instead, it seems like there are so many bluejeans and tank tops on cruise ships these days that all the eating venues look like a McDonalds! You have the whole rest of your life to wear your blujeans, America, take two nights from one week out of your life and make it something special and magical to remember it by. Next year go to a dude ranch and wear your bluejeans all you want! At least there, it WILL add to the ambiance, pardner!!

clothes dont make ambiance, the people do. a dinner while on vacation is what formal night is, and people should wear what they feel comfortable with, not what will please other people.

clothes dont make ambiance, the people do. a dinner while on vacation is what formal night is, and people should wear what they feel comfortable with, not what will please other people.

I enjoy wearing a dressier pair of jeans myself as I wear business casual to semi-dress for work every day. I don't have a problem subscribing to the dress code but eating dinner in a trendier pair of jeans is my preferred taste

Hi all, great responses. I am going on my first cruise in july for my honeymoon and it is for 12 nights. I have not heard about formal nights and was wondering how many formal nights we could expect during a 12 night cruise. I am on the BOS RCCL July 20th. :confused:

Archived