Manhattan Cruise Terminal Car Rental

Tracey

OK don't think I am crazy, we are sailing out of NY in September 2007. When we come back we had a flight booked for leaving at 6 PM but it was changed and now it is leaving after 8 PM so we are thinking of renting a car when we got off the ship and driving out to the hamptons. We are coming into NY 2 days early so are using that time for sightseeing NYC. Any advise? Thank you!

OK don't think I am crazy, we are sailing out of NY in September 2007. When we come back we had a flight booked for leaving at 6 PM but it was changed and now it is leaving after 8 PM so we are thinking of renting a car when we got off the ship and driving out to the hamptons. We are coming into NY 2 days early so are using that time for sightseeing NYC. Any advise? Thank you!

It really depends on what day of the week but honestly that sounds like a lot of work to me. What airport are you flying out of?

If you haven't considered it- think traffic. And allow plenty of time for it. There are no rental car options at the docks that I know of, so you will be eating up time getting an airport for a rental car pick up. Allow at least 2 hours each way for the drive to the Hamptons.

There are both Avis and Hertz rental agencies with a few blocks of the pier.

If this is a Sunday most of them are closed however.

Also I am not sure but they may charge a drop off fee to pick up in Manhattan and drop off at the airport.

Finally its about 100 miles to Southampton for instance. It will take at least two hours each way.

I'll post what Mapquest says to there.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=GnPsh7XJGQAoA1Ek1roA3aSga%252fpb4NDaYHPEhwyFdQPm5R5M5cTbweckaj7HMu3YJPAQOxRs2mCHVRFF1VBNZzP6CuqOeIlxZS67GMEr5JYGX7FopHcM32L1VZGgWOiZ&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=811+12th+avenue&1c=New+york&1s=NY&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=southampton+&2s=ny&2z=&r=f

well I was pretty close as to time and distance....remember this assumes no traffic.

You will never make it from Manhattan to The Hamptons in that time frame and get back to the airport.

The Hamptons is 2 hours from my house and I live on L.I. 45 minutes from Manhattan. The one road you will need to take to the Hamptons after getting off the Expressway or Sunrise Highway crawls, it is a local road.

You will have to hit the Hamptons and turn around and go back.

thank you for your replys. It is a saturday, September 15, 2007. We leave JFK at 8:34 PM.

On a Saturday in September the traffic shouldn't be that bad. But we all think its too far. If you want to do a day of it before going to the ariport, You could go to Oyster Bay and Teddy Roosevelt's house. You could also head upstate to Hyde Park and FDR's house(its up by sleepy hollow an interesting ride)...get a ggod map and bring your GPS so you don't get lost.

Archived