Ocho Rios - excursion feedback, please

39august

We did Phil's Tours and he split the tour between Dunn's River Falls and tubing on the White River. He has a smaller van and gets you out of the port area fast so you beat the crowds. The day we were there, the White River was a bit murky but we had a blast. On a raft it would be really fun. The guys they have doing the tubing tours are just kids and work really hard to keep the group together. It's like you are showing up at someone's front lawn and it's pretty lowkey. Everyone on our Phil's tour was from Cruise Critic. Here's his website:

http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/Tours.html

A warning... my SIL and family went a couple of weeks later and I guess it had just rained and her kids (14 + 10) were terrified when they broke loose from the pack on their tubes and she was upset that we had suggested it. So definitely a YMMV, but the 8 + 10 year old boys in the cabin next to ours did both the falls and the tubing and had a blast.

Viv

We did the White River Tubing through RCI excursions 6 months ago in Ochos Rios. It was fairly sedate and there were maybe 2 or 3 areas where the water moved a bit more swiftly. Our guides kept us all together, we had alot of fun, even our 14 y/o son liked it although he would have preferred much more white water rapids!

Here's a few pics from our excursion, I can email more if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40631118@N00/sets/72157594164551473/

Hope that helps!

Rose

The tour thru RCI and the tour thru Phil is the same tour. Phil just costs less and gets you there faster - before the cruise line does. And, he is quite entertaining - and sings to you - as well as pointing out the history of the area.

The White River has some very little rapids - but, it really is just an easy float. We did it in September and the water was clear and cold -- but, after a few minutes felt great! You stop about 1/2 way down to see your pictures and you can jump off the cliff -- it's fun!

Our friends did the raft trip on the Martha Brae and said it was ok -- they didn't get into the water at all and it was very low-key. They sat on the raft and the guide did all the work. The water looked very brown in the pictures they showed us.

I was reading MSNBC yesterday and read an article that stated that 130 new cases of Malaria have been reported lately in Jamaica. They seemed to think that this was a significant amount for the small island. I don't think that I'd be doing anything around the water.:( Seems like all of the diseases that we once thought of as gone are making a come back. We had a case of whooping cough and another of TB. You just never know but at leaset we can be vaxinated for those.

Hello, my family and I just got back from the Dec. 17th Mariner of the Seas cruise and we did the Dunn's River Falls with Pete Taylor. It was great, he got us there first, and we had a great time. After a drive to Fern Gully area we were returned to the ship with 4 hours to expore on our own.

We did the White River Tubing through RCI excursions 6 months ago in Ochos Rios. It was fairly sedate and there were maybe 2 or 3 areas where the water moved a bit more swiftly. Our guides kept us all together, we had alot of fun, even our 14 y/o son liked it although he would have preferred much more white water rapids!

Here's a few pics from our excursion, I can email more if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40631118@N00/sets/72157594164551473/

Hope that helps!

Rose

Wow the iceberg slide looks really fun! Do adults do this? I wanna play!:D

Hi Jan,

Happy New Year!

The AquaPark is in Labadee, not Ochos Rios.

Yes, adults do climb the iceberg slide -- physically fit ones anyway. It is very difficult to get a foothold on the first few bars to climb the iceberg from the water. It's kind of like doing a chin up as you have to pull your body up. If there were a dock of some sort it would be far easier, but that would be too dangerous as some people slide / fall down the "climbing" side before they get all the way up and then fall into the water! (That would be me!! :o ) Many parents and older sibs were giving the smaller children a "leg up" and then the small kids had no problem.

The AquaPark is in Labadee. It features banana boats, trampolines, log rolls, and the icebergs. It's lots of fun for kids of all ages! Get your tickets early as they often sell out during summer sailings with lots of children. The excursion is $15 (for adults and children) for one hour. You WILL be tired after that one hour! Labadee now has a water slide $20 for adults and children and you can use that for the entire time you are visiting Labadee. It's become quite popular. I love the kayaking in Labadee, you can also jet-ski and parasail too. As you can see, it's one of my favorite ports!

If you kayak in Labadee, please take my advice and do not go ashore for a "break" as you will be surrounded by Haitians wanting you to buy their wares; unfortunately these folks are so desperate to sell their goods that they do not respect a "no, thank you!" easily. The RCI guide does not prepare you for this and this was the only disappointment for an otherwise GREAT excursion! This stop was not a "break" as it was just a few minutes and felt more like a tourist trap!

If you go to Labadee, enjoy!

Rose

Hi Jan,

Happy New Year!

The AquaPark is in Labadee, not Ochos Rios.

Yes, adults do climb the iceberg slide -- physically fit ones anyway. It is very difficult to get a foothold on the first few bars to climb the iceberg from the water. It's kind of like doing a chin up as you have to pull your body up. If there were a dock of some sort it would be far easier, but that would be too dangerous as some people slide / fall down the "climbing" side before they get all the way up and then fall into the water! (That would be me!! :o ) Many parents and older sibs were giving the smaller children a "leg up" and then the small kids had no problem.

The AquaPark is in Labadee. It features banana boats, trampolines, log rolls, and the icebergs. It's lots of fun for kids of all ages! Get your tickets early as they often sell out during summer sailings with lots of children. The excursion is $15 (for adults and children) for one hour. You WILL be tired after that one hour! Labadee now has a water slide $20 for adults and children and you can use that for the entire time you are visiting Labadee. It's become quite popular. I love the kayaking in Labadee, you can also jet-ski and parasail too. As you can see, it's one of my favorite ports!

If you kayak in Labadee, please take my advice and do not go ashore for a "break" as you will be surrounded by Haitians wanting you to buy their wares; unfortunately these folks are so desperate to sell their goods that they do not respect a "no, thank you!" easily. The RCI guide does not prepare you for this and this was the only disappointment for an otherwise GREAT excursion! This stop was not a "break" as it was just a few minutes and felt more like a tourist trap!

If you go to Labadee, enjoy!

Rose

Oh OK! Great!Sounds like a lot of fun! YEP, I'll just be watching!:)

Archived