Vatican on Sunday?

We will be staying in Rome for four days but our best opportunity to see the Vatican is on Sunday. I am afraid this is going to be a very busy time. We do plan on leaving early in the morning from the hotel and head directly there. Any advice?

To The Med. on Galaxy
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;21;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Plank,

Believe it or not the best time to visit the Vatican is in the afternoon as long as you are not going to the Sistene Chapel and then I would suggest first thing in the morning.

The reason being is that the tour buses all go to St. Peter's first thing and there are always hundreds filing in. We have often been in the afternoon, especially on a Sunday and it is much quieter.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Actually, unless you happen to be in Rome on the last Sunday of the month, the Vatican Museums (which include the Sistine Chapel) are closed on Sundays. You can visit St Peter's, but missing the museums is a big loss. Since you are in Rome for a few days, you might try to rearrange your schedule.

Hank

May I suggest my favorite Cathedral in Rome as an alternative. It is St. John Lateran. This is the Cathedral of the City of Rome and is where the Popes were crowned until 1875. It is EVERY bit as impressive and large as St. Peter's without the hordes of tourists. To give you some impression of its size imagine, if you can, 20-25 foot statues of each of the apostles on 10 foot pedestles lining each side of the main sanctuary, of course totally in marble. The ceiling, itself is a wonder-3 diminsional statues in gilt suspended from the ceiling which is green and gilt. Absolutely, incredible!
I might add the Catacombs aren't really worth it. They are nothing more than an underground burial site-the Emperor not only knew they were there-his permission was necessary for burial there since the Romans believed in cremation and the early Christians did not.I would only trek out to them if you have lots of time and need something to do.....If you get the chance try a restaurant called the Pope's Vineyard. Great food, all the wine you can drink and wonderful singers (the tenor owns the place).

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Archived