New York City hotel question

misha1

Hey everyone...long time no post. We had a wonderful Alaskan cruise in September and have now booked a New York to Bermuda...with RCCL. Hey gotta try the competiton once in awhile to appreciate the Celebrity style. Just wondering if anyone has ever stayed at W New York on Lexington? I got a Priceline bid accepted for this hotel and the Trip Advisor site really says some negative things about this place. I never believe everything I read but would like to hear more if there are any folks out there familiar with this place. I don't go on a trip or cruise to experience a hotel but I don't like staying at places that questionabe either. Not that its matters, I am already booked in there with Priceline. Thanks a bunch

I have never stayed at the W in New York but did stay a few nights at one in Seattle. It was very modern with dark wood tones throughout. The room was comfortable and quiet and the bar/restaurant was very trendy and also $$$$$$$. Look at it the bright side, it's your vacation and even if you don't like the hotel you are going on a cruise the following day!

Hi misha1...I have friends who stay at this "W" 2-3 times a year and love it, especially since they're now regulars. They will, however, warn you that the rooms are very small.

Here are 2 of our fav NY hotels:

http://www.parkermeridien.com/main.html

http://www.westinny.com/

Good luck with your decision. ;)

Just wondering if anyone has ever stayed at W New York on Lexington? Thanks a bunch

I got a bid price of 125 accepted by Priceline and am pretty pleased with this as New York hotels are not cheap! And , for sure, I am not going to New York for the hotel experience but I like to be comfortable,. Rooms are small was the main complaint...aloof staff. But the reviews on Yahoo travel were mostly all good. Can't hardly wait. Only regret booking this November cruise is I hear it is Jersey week and there will be a number of children on board. That is not something I am used to. Won't ruin my time exploring a new venue though. Happy New Year everyone!

Hey everyone...long time no post. We had a wonderful Alaskan cruise in September and have now booked a New York to Bermuda...with RCCL. Hey gotta try the competiton once in awhile to appreciate the Celebrity style. Just wondering if anyone has ever stayed at W New York on Lexington? I got a Priceline bid accepted for this hotel and the Trip Advisor site really says some negative things about this place. I never believe everything I read but would like to hear more if there are any folks out there familiar with this place. I don't go on a trip or cruise to experience a hotel but I don't like staying at places that questionabe either. Not that its matters, I am already booked in there with Priceline. Thanks a bunch

You say you have a November sail date. When is that exactly? We are doing the Cape Liberty to Bermuda, Nov. 5, repositioning cruise on Constellation. Is the Jersey week you refer to this particular week? I am not used to many children on board. Just want to prepare with earplugs!

Thanks,

Faith

The Westin Times Square is only a few blocks from the Square; very conveniently located and a very nice hotel. Similar to the Marriott Marquis, with not as much bustle. Another alternative is the Millennium Hilton, which is right across the street from the World Trade Center site (and the subway). It is not centrally located, but has beautiful views of the river/ocean. I have stayed at all three and liked them all, but have given up on the Marriott Marquis because there is always a very long wait for the elevators--there are not enough of them.

You say you have a November sail date. When is that exactly? We are doing the Cape Liberty to Bermuda, Nov. 5, repositioning cruise on Constellation. Is the Jersey week you refer to this particular week? I am not used to many children on board. Just want to prepare with earplugs!

Thanks,

Faith

Most schools in New Jersey close the week of election day and the teachers convention that week.Be prepared for a LARGE number of little ones on a cruise from Bayonne.

We are sailing Nov. 4th on Explorer... our first time on a non-Celebrity ship (we are not used to the large number of kids...of any age either). This may be an interesting experience. Thanks Caviargal for that nice commentabout the W. I feel a lot better about the hotel since reading these posts and the Yahoo travel reviews. Sounds like a pretty cool place. I believe I got a stellar price from Priceline, so very excited about that!

We are sailing Nov. 4th on Explorer... our first time on a non-Celebrity ship (we are not used to the large number of kids...of any age either). This may be an interesting experience. Thanks Caviargal for that nice commentabout the W. I feel a lot better about the hotel since reading these posts and the Yahoo travel reviews. Sounds like a pretty cool place. I believe I got a stellar price from Priceline, so very excited about that!

My brother stayed there last weekend on a Priceline bid for 150/nt. Hope you did as well and that you enjoy it as much as he did. Great location too:)!

I like the Ws because they are adult oriented hotels.

The Parker Meridian is quite nice. :) You can also check out the Marriott Marquis....right in the heart of Times Square, theatres, and only a few blocks away from the piers.

We picked up the La Parker Meridian on priceline for $150 + tax, June 2nd for two nights.

Enjoy!

Kel

Wow $150 for the "W" and Le Parker Meridien! Great prices!

I noticed that Le Parker Meridien is now also part of the Starwood Group. I was searching for November 30 and the lowest price I could find on any site was $500/night. That's what I get for booking a December cruise from NY - lol. ;)

Misha1 - just wanted to reassure you about your choice of hotels. I live in Manhattan and can assure you that the W hotel is in a good area. My husband and I just walked past it today on our way back from a Broadway show. You'll be on sort of a mini hotel row. The W is directly across the street from the Waldorf Astoria on Lexington Avenue. On one side is a Marriot hotel and on the other side is the Benjamin and a Doubletree hotel. There are lots of restaurants up and down the side streets however I'm sure they're expensive since they cater to the hotel trade. I don't know how long you're staying in NYC but if it's more than 2 or 3 days I would use www.menupages.com to look up restaurants in various sections of the city. I've used that website and found that the reviews are pretty much on the mark.

I also wanted to tell you that a $125 rate is exceptional in NYC. Enjoy your time in NYC!!!

Pat

I cannot tell you all how much your encouraging words mean to me. This sounds like the perfect place for us to enjoy what we can in the 2 days we have pre-cruise. I was equally shocked with this bid acceptance so early in the process. I still have to look at the sheet I printed to reassure myself that the right dates and price is listed.

Archived