Luggage tags

hb1491

Well Spongerob, you and I think alike as that is how I do it as well.

However, see my newest thread 'Lost in Space' with dd's luggage somewhere in limbo and Princess claiming it will arrive in Jamaica their first port. (she does not have her tags on it yet as, like you and I , they planned to put them on in NOLA)

In this case, wouldn't it be better to have the ship tags on it for easier ID by the airport staff??

I agree with the previous post. Do not put them on until you are finished with the flight portion of your trip. It is a good idea to put the ships name, sailing date and departure port on a "destination tag" attached to your luggage, that way the airline will know where to send it if it goes astray.

Possibly. Given that they can send bags to hotels, residences, etc. without having a special tag for each, I don't know why it would be any more difficult to forward baggage to the ship's agent in the port city.

Our tablemates on one cruise arrived without their bags due to a very short time to change planes. Their bags arrived 5 days later, in Jamaica.

So then maybe the suggestion of a final destination on a separate

non-ship tag ie. 'Golden Princess Dec 30 departing NOLA' would be a good idea?

There are always ways of doing things smarter and lord knows this site is full of great suggestions to minimize hassle and maximize successful travel.

Good idea for those extra tags!

I have heard that an itinerary - for your trip - should be placed on the top of the inside of your suitcase, so that lost luggage can find a way to you. Since we always fly a day prior, we have never done this, however in light of the recent "Lost in Space" thread, I believe that's a great tip!;)

Princess recommends to put luggage tags on before you leave home, on the way to airport.

That's what Princess wants. That is not what the air lines want.

I have heard that an itinerary - for your trip - should be placed on the top of the inside of your suitcase, so that lost luggage can find a way to you.
That's exactly what we do, including the address of the hotel we stay at pre-cruise.

That's what Princess wants. That is not what the air lines want.

They must "recommend" if for a reason. Why should they care other than trying to help make sure a passenger's bag has the best chance of making the ship.

We can all decide to take the recommendation or not........ We have done it both ways, usually based on what our flight plans are.

When I flew to Florida on our last cruise, I asked the USAir agent if I should put the RCCL luggage tag on now or not. He said put it on because if the luggage gets lost, they would send it to the ship at the next port so on it went. He said no RCCL luggage tag and it would sit at FLL until after the cruise if it got lost. The luggage landed with me at FLL with no problems. All luggage tags still on it and no evidence that the TSA opened it.

I make up two labels (about 4"x 4") for each piece of luggage with our names, our cell phone number (if we are cruising from a US port), our ship name, cruise line phone number and sail date. I then use packing tape to firmly affix one to the outside of the suitcase; the other goes on top inside the suitcase. I don't attach the cruise line tags until we check them at the pier.

I always make a full itinerary complete with addresses, phone #s, flight #s etc from the time we leave home to the time we return home. Copies are printed from the computer and one given to my son, and others placed in all luggage plus one for me in our travel doc's.

This ensures that my son knows exactly where we are at any given time and how I can be contacted in case of emergency. It is also helpful if luggage gets mislaid along the way. My copy is a great information tool, all on one page.

This is really very easy to do, computers make it a breeze.

Archived