Cruise Insurance for Canadians

franu

I know the importance of travel insurance. I am aware that US residents can purchase travel insurance within a brief period of time of putting a deposit on their trip and "pre-existing conditions" are covered.

I have tried various methods of seeking Canadian coverage where "pre-existing conditions" do not require a 60, 90 or 180 day stability on medications. This means that even if you now require less medication, you are not considered stable.

Has any Canadian found the insurance that I require? Have you had a claim?

Thanks for any help

Fran

Fran most companies require at least 90 days without any changes in your meds or condition.

I usually deal with RBC but have not had to claim for me (the one with pre-existing condition).

We did claim for DH when he got sick on our MP cruise, which they paid promptly.

I guess the best idea is to call each company and ask lots of questions on the coverage.

http://www.reliablelifeinsurance.com/English/travelinsurance.shtml

http://www.medipac.com/english.html

I know the importance of travel insurance. I am aware that US residents can purchase travel insurance within a brief period of time of putting a deposit on their trip and "pre-existing conditions" are covered.

I have tried various methods of seeking Canadian coverage where "pre-existing conditions" do not require a 60, 90 or 180 day stability on medications. This means that even if you now require less medication, you are not considered stable.

Has any Canadian found the insurance that I require? Have you had a claim?

Thanks for any help

Fran

Hi Fran,

You won't find a travel insurance plan with a less than 60 day lookback period.

However, as long as you are going on trip with fixed travel dates, you can get the same plans that US residents can get that use the 14 day deadline after your initial trip deposit.

For example, I don't know if you're a Snowbird, but Snowbirds can easily get plans to cover "pre-existing conditions". Just go to www.google.com and search the term " snowbird insurance ". You'll find some good options.

We always take Ins out at time of booking.Because preexisting cond are covered so they say but haven't tested them as yet.But price & coverage is on par with RBC & far less hastle Non of those numourous forms to fill in.You just pay a price that covers the exact cost for that particular trip Inc cancelation lost luggage Health Air fare etc. PS I read here recently where someone was denied an Air Fare claim by their Insurance. Reason ,They had already used it getting to their vacation.

If you want trip cancellation insurance, here in Canada you have to book it at the time of deposit unlike in the U.S. where they can book at final payment.

Medical you can purchase anytime.

Talk to your TA at the time of booking for your options.

Thanks to all who answered my post. As many of us know, the Canadian insurance is different than the US insurance. I thought that there was a company that would cover Canadians in the same way as Americans, but I must have been dreaming.

I have used RBC in the past and they were very prompt in their payment for cruise cancellation when my DH passed away. They even requested the invoice for single supplement which they paid too. I have no problems with them but as my meds have been changed recently, I am a prisoner (can't cruise) in my own home. I won't take the risk to go anywhere without insurance.

Thanks again

Fran

Fran

Fran

I was talking with my sister (the TA) and she has a company that has good pre existing coverages .

Email me and I will give you her name

LHT28 at yahoo.com put insurance in the subject

Thanks to all who answered my post. As many of us know, the Canadian insurance is different than the US insurance. I thought that there was a company that would cover Canadians in the same way as Americans, but I must have been dreaming.

Both CSA (http://www.csatravelprotection.com) and Global Alert (http://www.tripinsurance.com) among others are available to residents of Canada. There may be some differences in coverage. For example, with CSA I don't think the Identity Theft benefit applies.

Archived