Sovereign Smell

What's the deal with the smell on the Sovereign of the Seas? We were on her in March, 2005, and had it not been for us getting a junior suite with a balcony, I don't think I could have stayed in that room. It was like a sewer smell. :eek:

I'm planning a cruise wedding for sometime in 2007, and was considering the Sovereign for it's afforadability for family and friends. After reading several recent reviews, and most of them mentioning "the smell", I've scratched Sovereign off my list.

Why won't they do something about it? The have to know it's there.

The sewer smell has been an ongoing issue with the sovereign. we have been on it several times, and not every time was there a sewer smell.. sometimes yes, most of the time no.. it is more noticable when docked in ports. Bring a can of frebreeze and the problem is solved as far as if you get a smelly cabin.. still the beauty of the ship, and the price to sail on sovereign just cannot be beat, especialy for us who live only 1 1/2 hrs from port canaveral.

I have been on her twice. The first time deck 3, I didn't notice a smell. The second time was deck 2. I did notice a smell once in a while. My biggest concern was the toilet wouldn't flush right away. It might have been up to 5 minutes for it to flush. I wouldn't let that stop me. You can't beat the price.

We were on the Sovereign in early November. Everytime we rounded the corner from the elevators into the halls we would smell the sewer smell.

One night I came around the corner and made a lighthearted comment "Ah the sewer smell" and our steward who was in the hall apologozed and said it's an on going problem.

We were on deck 10 in a JS on Brilliance--we had that smell the entire 10 day cruise. Most annoying. No one seemed to be able to do anything about it. Never had that odor when we were on Sovereign. I think it's a "hit or miss" situation.

I was on Sovereign last year and noticed a smell in the Beloros Lounge while docked in Nassau (around 6pm). It lasted for about 15-25 minutes. We didn't have any 'smelly' issues in our cabin on deck 6. However we did have the flushing problem that others have aluded to earlier, also in port at Nassau. None of these problems would prevent me from sailing on Sovereign again.

Archived