Transfer after cruise?

Royalpair

We'll be on the Veendam Feb 18. As we are going to FLA early, we will be driving a rental car to Tampa. After the cruise we need to get to the airport. Is it better to get a transfer form HAL, or try our luck with a cab, or does it make any difference? Docs are in hand, the countdown is on!

I had a bad transfer experience - I was supposed to do a LA city tour including transfer to LAX after disembarking the Veendam in September 2005. The night before, HAL notified me (at 9pm) that my excursion, and transfer, were cancelled due to a shortage of people wanting the trip. I was told that because I didn't request a transfer by 8pm, they were unable to place me on a shuttle to LAX.

Ended up getting a taxi from Long Beach to LAX when I disembarked, but wasn't very impressed by the whole thing. I'd take a cab now.

I had a bad transfer experience - I was supposed to do a LA city tour including transfer to LAX after disembarking the Veendam in September 2005. The night before, HAL notified me (at 9pm) that my excursion, and transfer, were cancelled due to a shortage of people wanting the trip. I was told that because I didn't request a transfer by 8pm, they were unable to place me on a shuttle to LAX.

You should have still had the transfer portion since those are for excursion + transfer. Whoever handled this on the ship must have done this incorrectly or else the message was delivered to your cabin during the day and you didn't read it in time. We had a disembarkation excursion cancelled once, were notified well ahead, and the only problem was that we'd wanted to do the excursion. (Can't recall what cruise or even if it was HAL, but do recall an aquarium was involved.)

We do cruiseline transfers except in San Diego and Fort Lauderdale, usually do the excursion with the transfers, and have been happy with this.

Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning towards cab, thinking we could take our time getting off the ship, and savour every last moment of our trip. Our flight doesn't leave until 2:40pm, so hopefully we won't have to rush out of there.

Archived