Los Angeles post -cruise help

minner80

Thinking about booking Princess Diamond 4/14. We have done many cruises however never Mexican Riviera. I have never been to California, so I have no idea where to stay and what to do after the cruise one day. We will have to be to the airport at 8:30 am the following morning but will have the day the cruise ends. I am thinking about letting Princess do the post cruise. It is at the Marriott near the airport. If I do this is there anything to do around the airport? I am up for any ideas We normally do everything on our own. I am just a little apprehensive of LA. Please help with ideas. I would like to be as stress free as possible. Thanks!

It might help if you tell us your interests. Do you like art, gardens, museums, amusement parks, shopping, etc.? It is a little early in the year for any beach swimming, but walking on the beach is always an option (I am doing that today).

The closest Marriott to the airport is the....

Los Angeles Airport Marriott

5855 W Century Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90045

(310) 641-5700

There are also several Courtyards by Marriott in the area.

You will probably need to plan to rent a car to see much. I would recommend taking a cab or shuttle from the port to your hotel, then rent a car from the airport location. This would make returning the car easy, and getting to the airport easy, and you can leave your luggage at the hotel while you do some sightseeing.

I have never been to California, so I have no idea where to stay and what to do after the cruise one day. We will have to be to the airport at 8:30 am the following morning but will have the day the cruise ends. I am thinking about letting Princess do the post cruise. It is at the Marriott near the airport. If I do this is there anything to do around the airport? I am up for any ideas We normally do everything on our own. I am just a little apprehensive of LA. Please help with ideas. I would like to be as stress free as possible. Thanks!

I hate to break it to you, but you're not going to see a lot of LA with only one day and with your being intimidated by the place...

"LA" is a BIG city...but unlike a lot of other big cities, it is not compact, high-rise or centralized...it is SPREAD OUT...

It's often described as 100+ small towns run together...So the "sights" of LA are spread miles apart...getting from one to another takes time...and it takes negotiating traffic...it takes planning...

And, with only one day, it takes some decisions...

Yes, you'll first have to decide what you want to see or do...

First, there is really not much directly near the Airport...but it's not too far north of there to the "West Side"...just about 10 miles north (which is not far by LA standards) to Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc. That area has a lot to see for the more adult crowd...but getting from site to site within the West Side is still something for which you will need a car...

The Getty Center, LA's great art museum, is located near the 405, just north of Westwood...The Getty Villas, home to Getty's antiquities collection, is on the coast north of Sunset Blvd at the border of Pacific Palisades and Malibu...

Beverly Hills, with its famed shopping street, Rodeo Drive, is a couple of miles East of the 405 off Wilshire...In Santa Monica, you'll find the Pier, Palisades Park and the Third Street Promenade--Santa Monica's strolling/shopping/restaurant area...

Venice Beach and its boasrdwalk is South of Santa Monica...

You'll have to go about 10-15 miles inland to Hollywood/Universal City/Burbank area to find TV/Movie studios, the Universal theme park and Citywalk, the Hollywood sign and Grauman's Chinese Theater, the Walk of Fame, etc...

Disneyland is completely in the other direction, about an hour and a half to the Southeast of LAX...

Other points of interest are spread out throughout the region...

You could have Princess supply you with the standard overview tour...but remember, those excursions are really just a quick overview...you don't see much except from a bus...and they usually end in time to get most peoplke to their flights home...

Best bet is to rent a car...which is easiest to do from the airport, returning it to the airport...

You could work out a nice full day of what YOU want to see and do...and we can help you a little with that if we know what you want to see and do...

One shot for a "one-day" tour would be to drive first to Hollywood, check out the Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, Sign, etc. then drive down to the Grove, do a little shopping and have some lunch either at Wood Ranch at the Grove or back up Fairfax to Canter's--LA's landmark Jewish Deli...then back up to Sunset Blvd. for a drive through the "Strip" and into Beverly Hills, stop at Rodeo to gawk at the prices...or shop...then continue on Sunset past UCLA and to the Getty...

A couple of hours there, then head to Santa Monica Third Street for dinner (lots of choices) and an evening stroll...then head back to your hotel, tuen in the rental car and leave in the morning...

Staying near LAX works just fine...because of your early departure--you'll need to get to the airport EARLY...

To bad you won't spend morte time here...there's lots more to see...

Good luck...

We stayed in the Airport Marriott on our wedding night as we had an early flight to Hawaii the next morning and it was fine for us. You'll probably want to stay elsewhere the night before your cruise as it'll be easy to get to San Pedro the next morning.

Rather than having us guess what you might want to do, I have an idea. If you're a member of the Auto Club, go to your local office and request the Southern California book. Free for you. (You can also pick up their Mexico guide.) Lotsa info there about hotels and attractions. Pick an area such as Santa Monica or Long Beach that's more of a safe area and see if the attractions you want are nearby (we can help with specific matches...or if you have an interest such as automobiles (Petersen Museum), fish (Long Beach Aquarium), etc.). You can see what the hotels run in the vicinity.

I am thinking about the Crowne Plaza at Redondo Beach. Are there restaurants nearby and shopping nearby?

Yes, from what you have described about yourself, I think you would be very happy here...

The Redondo Beach Pier is across the street and to the left (it's where they film The OC)

http://www.redondopier.com/

And then these restaurants (click the dining link) are across the street

http://www.rbmarina.com/

There is a Charthouse and a Cheesecake Factory across and to the right...

Be sure that you request a balcony facing the ocean...

Be aware this area is more fishing and boating, than swimming beach...

You are also not too far from LAX, and can just take the local street Sepulveda (faster than the freeway, and you won't have to mess with the traffic)...

It would be a pretty stress free way to relax, walk around, and see a nice little area of LA...

Let us know what you decide, and please give us a review here when you get back.

CJW

I am thinking about the Crowne Plaza at Redondo Beach. Are there restaurants nearby and shopping nearby?

Yes, from what you have described about yourself, I think you would be very happy here...

The Redondo Beach Pier is across the street and to the left (it's where they film The OC)

http://www.redondopier.com/

And then these restaurants (click the dining link) are across the street

http://www.rbmarina.com/

There is a Charthouse and a Cheesecake Factory across and to the right...

Be sure that you request a balcony facing the ocean...

Be aware this area is more fishing and boating, than swimming beach...

You are also not too far from LAX, and can just take the local street Sepulveda (faster than the freeway, and you won't have to mess with the traffic)...

It would be a pretty stress free way to relax, walk around, and see a nice little area of LA...

Let us know what you decide, and please give us a review here when you get back.

CJW

If you don't want to be rushing all over LA sightseeing, catty-corner across the street from the Crowne Plaza is a bike rental place. If it's a nice day, a ride down the strand on the bike path would be fun. It's a little early in the season to get the feeling that you're in a scene from Baywatch... but it's beautiful, relaxing, and you'll feel like you've been to Southern California instead of another large city.

while you are giving out post cruise info...this is what we would like to do....flight into LA, see Disneyland for two days, four day cruise, then two day train to portland or seattle.....

as i have seen your previous discussions, it looks like it is a long way from airport to port to disney to train....so, what would be the best means of transportation around LA?

Beverly

• 8 months later...
Thinking about booking Princess Diamond 4/14. We have done many cruises however never Mexican Riviera. I have never been to California, so I have no idea where to stay and what to do after the cruise one day. We will have to be to the airport at 8:30 am the following morning but will have the day the cruise ends. I am thinking about letting Princess do the post cruise. It is at the Marriott near the airport. If I do this is there anything to do around the airport? I am up for any ideas We normally do everything on our own. I am just a little apprehensive of LA. Please help with ideas. I would like to be as stress free as possible. Thanks!

excuse me diamond princess 4/14 ?? the ship will be in hawaii that day or do you mean 2009??

Archived