Prince Rupert Excursions

We are cruising on the Norwegian Spirit in Aug. We will be in Prince Rupert from 2-9. Not sure what to do! The only ship excursion that sounded interesting was the Grizzly Bear viewing by boat and it is long-6 hrs and $160. Would like to hear feedback about this tour or others before booking anything at this port. Husband has a bum knee and we have a 3 year old so something without a lot of walking is preferred. Thanks!

Norwegian Spirit Aug '04
Norwegian Sun April '03

Since this is a new port of call there isn't much information on it.. why don't you post over on the Alaska board also ..since you are not leaving until August others who go earlier will have some info!

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join CC's "Alaska Live in 2005 Adventure"..you'll have a "whale" of a good time![/B]</font>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<font SIZE="1">[B]Days Till Royal Hounds Cruise on Mariner of the Seas...![/B]</font>
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
<font SIZE="1">[B]Days Till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa[/B]</font>

<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font>

• 1 month later...
Mommiemudd....I believe we are on the same cruise in Aug. Anyhow, I had contacted a private tour operator about a bear watching tour that day. They told me they do not offer these tours in Aug. Reason being is because the bears have moved further north to follow the salmon and chance of viewing bears is slim. Concerns me that the cruise ship still offers such a tour knowing that bear "season" has passed in this location.

Let me know if you find out differently, though, because I was very disappointed!

Cheri

Ok Cheri, what are you going to do? I think we may do the tour that NCL is offering. I think that even if we do not see bears the scenery will be beautiful!!

Norwegian Spirit Aug '04
Norwegian Sun April '03

I think we are going to pass. I'm too sold on the idea that tour operators want you $$$ and if there was an opportunity for them to get it, they would offer a tour. We have so many other "active" tours booked the rest of the week (sea kayaking, ice climbing, hiking) that we may appreciate a laid back kind of day with no agenda!

Cheri

We were there a couple of years ago on RSSC. We rented a van and drove a "scenic route." I dont remember the highway we took, but you should be able to find it online. Radisson provided us with box lunches (we requested them the day before) and the drive was spectacular. I especially remember seeing lots of roadside waterfalls and visiting with the friendly locals.

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for your advice. I just arranged for a car rental in Prince Rupert and plan to drive Rte. 16 to Terrace. I believe that's the route you said was so beautiful. Your suggestion was great. For anyone else interested, I rented a car from NationalRent-a-car. for $67.84 Tax inluded AAA rate - unlimited mileage. The trip is approx. 4 hours round trip and passes beautiful scenery which includes waterfalls.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I checked it outand the name of the route is Route 16. The drive goes to Terrace and is around a 4 hour r/t drive (182 miles). The car rental compnay we used is National Rent-a-car 1-800-227-7368 - $67.84 unlimited mileage.Tell them you want to pick the car up at the 2nd Ave. location.

Archived