Cave Tubing - Death Trap?

evelev

I'm sure I'm nearly alone in this comment, but I'm curious. The vast majority of the group loved cave tubing in Belize. So, if your initial reaction is that I'm a paranoid spaz, I totally understand.

I'm telling you, I almost died in Belize. First, the walk out to the river was much longer than we anticipated based on the blurb in Carnival's expedition booklet. But that's probably my fault for not reading it correctly or something.

I should have been tipped off by the amazingly dim head lamps. They seemed decent on the bus, but in absolute darkness, they were pretty pointless.

Shortly after entering the cave, I got a little separated from the group and began spinning off into some unknown cavern. I panicked. I couldn't figure out how to steer, couldn't see where I was going, and in my head I was seeing far too many Discover specials about how obnoxiously complex cave systems are. So, I started screaming for help, and was noticed pretty quickly by the guide. He pointed his head lamp at me and started yelling instructions. I was completely blinded by the lamp, but eventually got back with the group. :eek:

So for a while I was floating backwards, steering easily and chilling out. Then I realized the water speed was picking up and I was careening head-first into a rather twisty section of cave. So I started to spin myself around, but it was too late - I crashed into the wall and pulled my head in, narrowly avoiding a skull fracture. This happened several more times, because I really suck at steering a tube. I was actually quite lucky to not puncture my tube. Meanwhile I'm thinking, where the hell is OSHA? Right, I'm in Belize. A helmet would have been nice...

Apparently the water depth changes constantly, from 1/2 a foot to 20. The only way to tell when the depth is a 1/2 ft is that someone smashes their butt/lower back into some rocks and yells "butts up." How no one ended up with a cracked saccrum amazes me.

We finally got to the end of the cave - I was thrilled to have survived. But then we got back in the water again. This seemed like it would be easier, because we were in the light, and it was...until we encountered rapids. Of course I lost control again, crashed into more rocks and landed myself in several spider-infested tree branches hanging over the water. The horror!

This is not to mention that at one point one of the my fellow tube-mates was headed for a rock and the guide started screaming at her to avoid that particular rock. Apparently if you get too close to it, it sucks you underneath it, and spits you out a moment later buised and bleeding. Lovely.

I know I sound like a total drag. I'm not the type to have a bad time on vacation, and I really tried to be upbeat about it, but it was one of the worst experiences in my entire life.

Like I said, everyone else loved it and I've seen tons of great reviews, so don't let me ruin it for you. I'm curious if anyone else was in the same "tube" as me.

I know I sound like a total drag. I'm not the type to have a bad time on vacation, and I really tried to be upbeat about it, but it was one of the worst experiences in my entire life.

Look,

Let's put this in perspective. You survived . . . . . obviously as you were able to write the post.

This isn't a whole lot different than a roller coaster ride at 6 Flags or one of the amusement parks in the U.S.

Scares the crap out of you, but, in the end, you get off and tell others how scary it was. :eek:

Like I said, everyone else loved it and I've seen tons of great reviews, so don't let me ruin it for you. I'm curious if anyone else was in the same "tube" as me.

...and you had to ask us? I think you answered your own question, most people will love it, occasionally you will find someone who does not, was it the cave tubing or the individual - well I think you answered that question as well.

There are many things I am not in tune with and don't like, so I don't... you learned your lesson, build your bridge, cross it and move on.

I have to say I am a bit jealous! :o

I was slightly disappointed in cave tubing - not because I didn't like it, but I thought it was too mild! The experience was positive though. The caves were beautiful. It was very relaxing. The walk was interesting and the guide explained a lot about Belize to us along the way.

I guess I was hoping for more of "rapids" type thing. It reminded me of the lazy river at a water park. We did book private though and had one guide for four of us so maybe she steered us clear of any "danger".

I have to admit that I felt more scared during the drive there (our driver was insane and the men along the side of the road with the exposed guns didn't calm my nerves either) than I ever did while cave tubing. :p

we did this excursion privately, there was 6 of us. All adults in our early 40's. First off we were a little suprised by the hike. I imagined that we would be dropped off at the top and then float down to the bottom where they would drive the car to pick us up.......not so. They park at the bottom and you hike to the top and then float down. Well there was so much talk of "don't bring anything with us like glasses, camera and such as they would be swept away in the current." It was a total joke. there was no current. Not the entire time. In fact all of us paddled so much that our arms were rubbed raw on the tube. when the guide yelled out to be careful of the rapids I looked down and saw that we were in maybe 6 inches of water. We were all laughing the whole way. I have seen more of a current in an irrigation ditch. But it was still fun and it makes for some great laughs when we get together. I have to promise to never book something like that again. I do know that it can change if the water level is high but remember it can also go the other way and be completly boring. so just consider it an adventure. of course if you feel unsafe get out and walk down. You walked up you can walk down. Also the ride there is long and scary, they drive insane.

Well 4 in our group almost drowned,my DH hit a rock,crushed his glasses,lost his tube and floated off down stream to shallow water,he said it was really deep where he hit the wall and a tree limb was under the water to snag you . But said he would bo it all over again. Mind you this is a man who can't swim. He also ziplined. We had great tour guides. I never lost my glasses. It was an something that was once in a lifetime for me. Never again. But I did enjoy it

Well 4 in our group almost drowned,my DH hit a rock,crushed his glasses,lost his tube and floated off down stream to shallow water,he said it was really deep where he hit the wall and a tree limb was under the water to snag you . But said he would bo it all over again. Mind you this is a man who can't swim. He also ziplined. We had great tour guides. I never lost my glasses. It was an something that was once in a lifetime for me. Never again. But I did enjoy it

It all depends on water level. If it been raining a lot dont go. Some times if the water levels are to high they will cancel but remember this is how they make their money so they will only cancel if they absolutely have to.

I have told my story before so I won't bore you all the details again, HOWEVER, I will restate that I am a very strong swimmer. (used to be a lifeguard) and I almost drowned. Not because I couldn't swim, but because I too, hit the wall, got knocked off my tube and kept getting run over by others on their tubes.

I will tell you that I have tubed twice before in other places and I loved it. It was really fun, and safe. There were little white water parts, but nothing that would knock you off your tube. So I would say I enjoy cave tubing as a rule. BUT NOT IN BELEIZE. Sorry about the spelling.

We had a wonderful, and I think very safe experience doing this same trip with cave-tubing.com. They make everyone hold on in a chain, and the guide steers the chain all the way throught he caves. See my review in another thread above this one if you are considering this trip. After reading all of your reviews, I'm sure glad we chose to go the way we did!

Hi - I saw people like yourself who booked through the ships. Those guides were useless. We booked on our own with ***** Adventure and were all linked together. No one was on their own. Highly recommend booking through the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Different strokes for different folks...or...one man's mead is another's poison or whatever LOL

One thing people sometimes forget when they read reviews *or when they reccomend stuff...is the TIME OF YEAR

As one poster stated, the river might be high and more dangerous in the rainy season....it might be low, bumpy and/or boring in dry season

in the heat of summer this whole trip could be really hot and sweaty just to get there...

I think you have to take into consideration the time of year you travel. I would also worry about the mosquitos if it is very rainy

*and yes, I know it is a rainforest haha...but even warm tropical places have seasons

I am sure this comment is not helpful to the original poster, but we also booked cave tubing through cavetubing.com and we had a super safe and very enjoyable time. I have heard people complain about the "guides" that the ships' excursions use...they are not always attentive and do not stress safety...the guys from cavetubing dot com were excellent. We had our then nine-year-old daughter with us and I never even worried about her safety...

Sorry to hear of negative experiences...even with recommendations from these boards, nothing is guaranteed, but so far, we have had very positive experiences after really "doing our homework" on these boards...

--Susan

I have to agree with Susan. We went last August and had our 10 year old with us and he did fine. Yes, there wasn't a much of a current and sometimes we almost got stuck on rocks but it all depends on what you want. Also, the guides at cavetubing.com were great. Some spots on the walk were slippery and they actually carried the tube for my wife because she had just recovered from a broken foot and was worried about slipping.

Doug

8/92 Monarch of the Seas

3/93 Mardi Gras

3/03 Victory

8/06 Glory

We booked through cave-tubing.com and had a blast. The "adventure" guides (they say it isn't a tour, it is an adventure) were great. My neice has CP and has a problem walking, but she wanted to do it anyway knowing that it would be challenging.

We got there and it was a torrential downpour and the trail was pure mud. Jimmy took my tube and DN's tube while I helped her along the trail. Never once did we hear to speed up or that we needed to catch up. The guides were totally concerned for everyone's safety. When we got in the river, they even washed off our legs and shoes. THESE GUYS WERE GREAT.

This is one reason we did research before we booked. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Chuck

So let me see......... You want to go to Central America, visit a less than fully developed country, go to a real jungle, float down an untamed river and not have ANY WORRIES???? Get real, stay at home and wach the Travel Channel or the Discovery Channel.

We went through cave-tubing.com and had a great time. There were a total of 8 of us, 2 other couples, and my family of 4, including a 5 yr old and 8 yr old. We hade 5 guides accompany us and always felt safe. One guide, Jhony himself, stayed with me and my son the entire trip and another guide stayed with my wife and daughter. We saw another group from another company (I believe it was the one the cruise line was selling) tubing when we were walking and there were something like 15 people with 1 guide. The guy in the back got stuck against some branches on the riverbank and looked like he might be in trouble, yet his guide was nowhere to be found. If you are going go through cave-tubing - we had a blast.

I too, am curious to know who was your tour group? We just returned from the CCL Glory and were in Belize on 1/16. We did tubing with Maj. Tom/***** Adventures.

My husband had a similar experience as evelev! There had been some rain prior to our trip and the river was a little high, the current a bit strong. The launching point where we entered the river had a pretty strong current. Probably not the best place to start the trip! As soon as we got into our tubes, we were spinning out of control. Everyone was bumping into each other. My husband and another guy headed straight into some rocks. He was knocked off his tube and the last I saw of him, he was clinging to the rocks holding on for dear life! When we finally met up after we exited the cave, he had been floating on a deflated tube!!!

We had a very good laugh and he has a wonderful story to tell, but it was a little unnerving at the time! The 2 tour guides we had were wonderful, but with the river being as strong as it was, we could have used more guides!

I suggest to anyone doing this excursion to check out the weather forecast. If there has been any rain, it is likely the current will be strong. Also, the hike to the river will be muddy and slippery.

Our group was left to float down the river on our own. We had one guide staying ahead of us and one at the back. There were other groups that were linked together with a guide. That seemed like a safer option and I would go that way if we have the chance to do it again.

All in all, it was a FABULOUS experience. I would do it again, tomorrow if I could :D !!!

The groups you saw linked together with guides were probably from cave-tubing .com. That is how they protect and control their customers. If you heard them hollering "butts up", they were definitely from Yhony's group.

As we floated through the caves, the guides would yell "cavetubing" and we would yell back "butts up". This is also how they would tell us when it was getting shallow and to get "butts up" to avoid rocks.

As we entered the river before the second cave, they washed off our shoes and legs and then held onto our tubes until we could get linked together. It was raining as we moved along the trail and it was pure mud. We didn't care though because the guides kept us laughing. Keith, our main guide, was cold as he positioned us together. His teeth were chattering and he had major goose bumps. The water wasn't that cold, but he didn't have any meat on his bones. We had 5 in our linked group and we are not small people. Jimmy did a wonderful job controlling our group.

Archived