Cave Tubing - Death Trap?

evelev

evelev: Thanks for this review! It's definitely food for thought, especially since my husband isn't 100% comfortable in the water. For those of you that have been at various times of year, what is the rainiest season? We are booked to go in mid-March. Will we get the violent whitewater or the "irritation ditch"? :D

Sara

Thanks to all for the great reviews. We have certainly learned allot from these boards.

We are leaving February 4th and have already booked cave tubing with Reggie. Has anyone gone cave tubing during the month of February? Just wondering if the water level is high or low that month.:eek:

I have to agree that cave-tubing.com is the way to go. We had 21 of us in our group just 2 weeks ago - ages 4 to 67. Our safety was their #1 concern. Our fun and adventure was their #2 concern. The cost was also half of Carnival's cost and we got to do 2 caves. It had rained for 5 straight days before we came and the trail was very muddy. It even rained while we were walking on the trail...absolutely beautiful and a blast! If someone even had trouble walking, they were there to help and even carried one of our party part way. They linked us together in groups of 7 and had a guide for each group while in the water. They directed the tubes so no one would hit a wall and yelled "butts up!" at the appropriate times. Thanks Yhony for such a wonderful time!:D

We are going on the Grand this Saturday, same itinerary I suppose?

I am an x-LEO, I have been on a number of cruises and traveled through Guatemala. What was your "cop radar" like in Roatan and Belize? I have not been in these ports before.

With everything going on in the world, did you find yourself more "on alert"?

Thanks

We booked through cave-tubing.com and had a blast. The "adventure" guides (they say it isn't a tour, it is an adventure) were great. My neice has CP and has a problem walking, but she wanted to do it anyway knowing that it would be challenging.

We got there and it was a torrential downpour and the trail was pure mud. Jimmy took my tube and DN's tube while I helped her along the trail. Never once did we hear to speed up or that we needed to catch up. The guides were totally concerned for everyone's safety. When we got in the river, they even washed off our legs and shoes. THESE GUYS WERE GREAT.

This is one reason we did research before we booked. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Chuck

We went in Feb '05 and the water was fairly deep with some rapids. DH and I are out of shape 50 somethings and didn't find the experience physically taxing at all. We went with a private tour which I believe is much better than the ships tours. Dh did get separated from the group because he wasn't paying attention, but there were locals all along the shore and they guided him back to the group. It's a once in a lifetime experience and I'd recommend it to anyone!

We are going on the Grand this Saturday, same itinerary I suppose?

I am an x-LEO, I have been on a number of cruises and traveled through Guatemala. What was your "cop radar" like in Roatan and Belize? I have not been in these ports before.

With everything going on in the world, did you find yourself more "on alert"?

Thanks

loved both places, and always travel in a group or tour. On ships as you know news travels fast, and heard no complaints form anyone. In some other ports, many passengers complained about the locals. We had a great time and hope you do too!icon7.gif

I haven't really wandered around Belize without being on an excursion. If you go outside but stay around the shopping / terminal area, you would probably be ok. I am sure there are areas you would want to avoid.

In Roatan, we wandered the streets about 3-5 blocks away from the terminal and it wasn't bad at all. There were police (?) and port security around. The locals can only get so close and the authorities will run them off. It is definitely an experience. DW and I enjoyed it and bought some wooden items. It was during school break and the kids were everywhere acting as "guides". We were told that if a kid directed you to a certain shop, then the shopkeeper would jack up the prices and then the kid would return afterwards to get his "tip".

We had a 12yr old that attached himself to us and would say "watch your step" as we approached a curb, hold the door open to a shop, stop traffic so we could cross the street (very narrow street), etc. We gave him a $3 tip after we were done. I also gave him a police patch from my dept and he lit up like a light. He probably spent about 2 hours wandering with us. Some people are leary about this but I was on a cruise and he was trying to kind of turn an honest buck.

I spent months reading these boards before booking my excursions, so the hike to the caves, the tricky spots in the water, the paddling-with-no-current, etc. were not surprises. I even knew what we'd be having for lunch, from all I'd read up on. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Not to sound like a broken record, but we, too had an excellent time with cave-tubing.com. Everything I've read here is true. We tubed in mid-March. Our group of 18 ranged from 14 - 76 yrs. old. Nobody had any trouble with the brief hike. We were split into 2 groups. Our guides looked us over, then arranged everyone in a particular order (maybe by age, physical ability, who knows). They obviously gave some thought to every aspect. Once in the water we remained linked together the entire time. During the occasional spot where the current might swing our chain o'tubers towards the rocks, our guide would maneuver the chain away - - - always from the lead tube. They paddled HARD, pulling our long chain, the entire time. We passed cruise tours who were floating all over the place. Rather dicey in the dark cave. At one point some guy on a different tour elected to latch onto the end of our chain and hitch a free ride (my DH happened to be the end and was too stunned to say anything. At first.:p). Our poor guide worked sooooo hard paddling and pulling and guiding us. He spotted the freeloader and shooed him away. The cost was exactly 1/2 of the ship's tour. From what we saw floating around in the cave with us, no way would I do any tour except Yhony's. They do a great job, make jokes and make it a fun trip while never letting up on our safety. Now then, the drive was a real heartstopper!:eek:

Another vote for cave-tubing.com

DD and I did our excursion with them last Nov. We had 4 guides and 1 driver for 10 people..... never felt unsafe as these guys make it there top priority to ensure everyone stays safe (unlike the ships tours). I was at first reluctant to do this only because this cruise was just us two women. I also at first (before researching it to death) was worried about the "hike" as I am no spring chicken (my dd is 30- so guess my age) and I don't go to the gym like I should. But I enjoyed the walk..... a few spots where I slowed down and became the last in line..... but no one had to wait on me and no pressure to hurry either.

I agree with previous poster that if you do your research you will know what lies ahead...... even to the detail of what is for lunch (which was delicious I might add) when we stopped at Cheers.

Now - all that said. Some people don't do much in the way of these types of excursions or experiences..... and even their nature is that if they do they will be unprepared and ill equipped to handle anything that they feel is remotely "unsafe" so it won't matter what time of year or who they go with...... Keith told us a few stories about one women who kept seeing gators in the water and on the bank...... no matter what he said she just knew they were there..... it was in reality logs.

We also had our chant..... cave-tubing REPLY: DOT COM !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your review! I'm not a very strong swimmer, so I'm certainly going to think twice about this before I book. All the positive comments about cavetubing.com are encouraging, and if I do decide to go I'll certainly book with them, but this dropped pretty far down my priority list after reading yours and several of the other negative experiences. At least it'll save me some money, though!

Thanks so much for your review! I'm not a very strong swimmer, so I'm certainly going to think twice about this before I book. All the positive comments about cavetubing.com are encouraging, and if I do decide to go I'll certainly book with them, but this dropped pretty far down my priority list after reading yours and several of the other negative experiences. At least it'll save me some money, though!

Thats a shame as this really was an absolutely fantastic (and safe) excursion.

Which company did you go with?

We're planning a tour in April and would want to avoid going with your group and look for one that at least chains everyone together.

Does anyone know if any of the companies supplies life vests?

Thanks, Steph

EOS 4/8/07

I know folks hate to hear negative things about excursions that they may have enjoyed, but it is better to have all the information so that someone can make an informed decision if this is right for them.

People do need to be reminded of the risks....because we sometimes get into the "Disney World" vacation mind set and sadly not all places are as safe as "Disney World".

Read everything you can before you go and then make the right decision for you!

Happy Cruising!!

People do need to be reminded of the risks....because we sometimes get into the "Disney World" vacation mind set and sadly not all places are as safe as "Disney World".

Do you have any idea how many people get hurt (some seriously-even die) at Disney World ??? While living in Florida we went with my brother and his family along with my Mom and Dad who were visiting. Well - Mom got heat stroke and began vomiting and passed out..... an EMT responded within 5 minutes and took her to the "infirmary". All this was done via underground tunnels and when we got there I was floored. This place was huge and as well equipped as any ER I have been in. So I had to ask..... why so big and like a hospital. The Dr. told me that sometimes it is full with injuries, illnesses etc...... from opening to closing..... just FYI

Also - I am a firm believer in researching excursions..... sometimes to the point of ridiculous.

That is why we went with cavetubing.com.

Archived