Does formal dress extend to Portofino's on formal night?

flagger

Portafino's has a seperate dress code?

Portofino's has a smart casual dress code for every night. When we went there on Mariner, most of the men wore jackets, but no ties. There were a few men with dress shirts and ties on though.

I would think that on formal nights there would be more people dressed up than not. When we called to make reservations for Portofino, we were told immediately that the dress code is smart casual, so I am sure they don't want people to come in just in regular casual clothes.

Enjoy your dinner at Portofino, it's my favorite restaurant of all.

Katie

Regular Portofino dress code every night.

Maybe ours was the exception, but we went to Portofinos on formal night and we were the ONLY ones not dressed in formal wear. For some reason, we were mistaken about formal night and didn't realize that night was formal night. It wasn't the end of the world, and they didn't deny us our reservation, but we were definitely underdressed relative to the other passengers. We felt a little out of place, but by no means did it ruin our dinner and no one said a word to us about it.

What is smart casual anyway?

There are all these references to casual or degrees of casual?

Party casual, resort casual, smart casual, business casual?

According to the RCCL website:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

On the front page of the daily Compass you will see a block on the right regarding Portofino's. In small print you will find Portofino's dress code. It's jacket and tie (smart casual) on all nights, and formal wear (a suit or a jacket and tie would be fine) on formal night. We saw a man in just a dress shirt and slacks, and no one said a word to him (and none of us cared what he wore either). Have a wonderful time.

We don't eat at Portofinos on Formal Night, but if we did we'd probably wear our usual Portofino clothes (coat/tie; dress). Can't imagine what my tux would look like after diving into all that wonderful food - so why chance it. And we wouldn't miss Formal Night anyway...we enjoy all that goes with it.

I have to say that we seldom see a jacket and tie in either specialty restaurant. We usually go to the dining room on formal night, so I don't know how pax dress then, but I find that "smart casual" attire as defined by RCI has been quite rare on our cruises.

DH usually wears a dress shirt (no tie) and slacks to Portofino and to Chops with no issue. It comes down to packing - he'll bring either his tux or a jacket, and we both like to dress up for formal night (OK, I've never asked him if he LIKES it, but he doesn't complain about it, so it's at least acceptable to him:) ), so the jacket usually stays at home due to a desire to pack as little as reasonably feasible.

Does formal dress extend to Portofino's on formal nights or does the regular Portofino's dress code apply?

TIA

Formal dress doesn't even extend to the main dining room on formal night let alone Portifino's, Chops, the Windjammer or any other venue onboard. It's only suggested attire for the evening.

While most people follow the suggested dress for the evening, there is no "dress code" while onboard. Anyone who has ever set foot on an RCI ship can attest to at least one or two people not dressed as suggested in the cruise compass.

Even the few things that are listed as not allowed slip by on occasion. You're not supposed to be allowed to wear hats into the main dining room but, I've seen ball caps in there. Even my wife, who one night just did not want to do her hair, wore a ball cap to dinner one night and not a word was said.

I really do WISH there were a dress code and MOST people do dress for the occasion BUT, you will see some that do not.

What is smart casual anyway?

There are all these references to casual or degrees of casual?

Party casual, resort casual, smart casual, business casual?

There's gotta be a "stupid casual"...witnessed in the dining room several times... like shorts with a tasteful wife-beater shirt... or the church jeans (holy) complete with plumber's crack...

Yup, yup. :rolleyes:

LL

Archived