Century or Constellation?

coneygal

We are in the planning stage of a cruise to northern europe this coming summer. Both Century and Constellation do this cruise. One out of Amsterdam and the other out of Dover. Would appreciate hearing from CC people who have had experience with these ships.

Thanks!

Was on the Constellation for an 11 nighter in November. Loved loved loved this ship. Highly recommend it. Have never been on Century, but I bet it is a great ship too! I think the most important thing for you to decide on is the itinerary. What ports do you want to visit the most.

We are in the planning stage of a cruise to northern europe this coming summer. Both Century and Constellation do this cruise. One out of Amsterdam and the other out of Dover. Would appreciate hearing from CC people who have had experience with these ships.

Thanks!

We did the Baltics on the Connie in 2005 and loved it. We like the M Class ships, but the remodelled Century may be nice too. The Connie has 2 extra at sea days because it operates out of Dover.

Dover is a pain to get to and from. Amsterdam would be easier.

With the new Century I would be tempted to try it!

We have been on both ships, with our Century experience taking place just last week. Either would be a fine experience, so I'd concur with the others that your decision could be made largely on itinerary. One nice feature for a Baltic cruise, though, would be the Thalassotherapy pool, which is available on Constellation but not on Century. We found more quaint areas on Century, with M-class ships having a bit more of an 'open' feeling. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either. Happy planning, and enjoy your cruise! :D

We were on both the Connie and the Century in the last 12 months (we were actually on the Century immediately after the refit). I love X cruises and I would agree with the other posters that the itinerary would be my main selection tool. I do love the M class ships, but after being on the Century, I think the smaller ships do have their own charm and I was pleasantly surprised.

IMHO I think both ships are great - the Century would naturally have newer furnishings, bedding and carpeting, it has flat screen TV's in the cabins and wireless internet if you wanted to take your own laptop. The majority of the public areas are all newly refurbed. My only real downside would be the fact that it doesn't have an indoor pool, but in the Med you might not need that anyway.

Hope that helps, but if you need any more info please ask.

My only real downside would be the fact that it doesn't have an indoor pool, but in the Med you might not need that anyway.

I thought they were going to sail in Northern Europe? ;)

Anyway, I didn't sail on M-class and I would love to try it, but not after all pod problems with M-class ships, too much of a risk with all money European cruises cost.

All I can say is that we LOVED the Constellation! I'd do it again in a heartbeat! We sailed her last October for 11 nights to Canada/New England. Never the first problem, and the service, food, ship, ports, all were great. We were in CC class, and I loved that, too.

Shay

Pod problems will not be a great problem when they occur in the Baltics. The distance between the port of calls is acceptable.

But I would choose to cruise from Amsterdam. Well I'm from Holland so that's very cheap, but I think that Amsterdam has more to offer than Dover for US visitors. No not just drugs. Delft is a beaufitul typical Dutch city...so much to do and see. And Amsterdam is easy to fly to.

I'd concur with the others that your decision could be made largely on itinerary. One nice feature for a Baltic cruise, though, would be the Thalassotherapy pool, which is available on Constellation but not on Century.

On Constellation in late August, the thalassotherapy pool and the whirlpools were empty the entire trip, due to cleaning for sanitary reasons. :mad: This was a huge disappointment to us as we really like this feature which Century does not have. On the other hand, the outdoor pools were heated, :) which does not happen in the Caribbean. But then there were only a couple of days that it was warm enough for passengers to spend time around these pools. :rolleyes:

When travelling to Europe from the U.S. and spending so much on airfare, I like to see as much as possible. Therefore, I would choose the ship that had the best itinerary. If the itineraries were the same I would do the Constellation.

Anyway, I didn't sail on M-class and I would love to try it, but not after all pod problems with M-class ships, too much of a risk with all money European cruises cost.

For what it's worth, I believe that Constellation is the only M-Class ship to have never been struck with pod problems. Yes, It could happen in the future, but Century could also suffer mechanical problems -- I don't know if Constellation is any more of a risk...

For what it's worth, I believe that Constellation is the only M-Class ship to have never been struck with pod problems. Yes, It could happen in the future, but Century could also suffer mechanical problems -- I don't know if Constellation is any more of a risk...

Well, this is not completely true http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIIa/MMIIMay02b.html

While Century could suffer mechanical problems (any ship could) Connie is more likely. ;)

Well, this is not completely true http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIIa/MMIIMay02b.html

While Century could suffer mechanical problems (any ship could) Connie is more likely. ;)

Hmmm. Interesting, but TOTALLY UNRELATED to the chronic, recurring pod problems of other M-Class ships. It was a leak. That in no way indicates that Connie is more likely than Century to have future mechanical problems.

Want to thank everyone for their input. As far as itinery, they are very similar. Friends have done this on the NCL Dream and rave about the cruise. Now we were more unsure that ever. We like the NCL freestyle idea and have to decide between them and Celebrity.

Archived