Tipping in the Specialty Dining Room

Penguin76

For those of you who have dined often in the Specialty Dining room on the M Class ships, how much do you usually tip in addition to the $30 per person cover charge? Do you usually tip your maitre d' an additional amount? I would appreciate some input on this subject. Thanks!

The $30 fee for the dining room is considered the tip for the service you receive. Depending on you enjoyment and extra services being supplied you are welcome to tip additional. I have on occassion tipped an additional $30 for an exceptional evening. I generally don't tip the maitre d' unless he did something special.

Same here. We tipped extra, maybe $20. When you look at it, that's nearly $100 for a meal, albeit a fabulous meal (for two). Do that often on a cruise, and you've just about bought a cabin :)!

But, the food is great, and the atmosphere is very ritzy, something we don't do at home at all. A nice meal out for us is Red Lobster or Chili's!!

Shay

We usually tip a least a little extra. It has varied in relation to the service and other factors, like if the waiters remember us from a prior cruise or if we intend to return on a future cruise and the waiter is likely to still be there. Perhaps these shouldn't matter, but it is nice to be remembered.

On our last couple of visits, both on the Summit and the Constellation, we've had truly exceptional service. The staff went way out of their way to make our dinner special and we showed our gratitude. On our last dinner on the Constellation the sommelier also remembered us from a prior Summit cruise and gave us some great recommendations on some wines by the glass which were available - some on and some off the printed list. We tipped him a bit extra too.

I think the amount is a very personal decision - I believe it should vary by what is reasonable in your own mind and your own financial position as well as the level of service.

Athough no additional tip is required, I am sure it is appreciated. We eat at SR about 1/3 of the nights, so I typically tip $10 each night for 2 persons. When the meal is compliments of the Hotel Director, I give $20.

Thanks so much for your input. We have dined often in the Specialty Dining Room and recently someone had told us that the $30 per person was not considered gratuity and in fact, the waiters didn't see any of that money. I was worried that the $10 - $20 extra we were tipping was not adequate and wished the ship would provide some guidelines here so the waiters and maitre d's could be properly compensated. Again, thanks for your help.

Archived