Hi Everyone

Bim1

I have been reading everyones threads for months now and Im getting very excited about my cruise on ther Pacific Sun on the 1st April 07. All the reviews and information have been great. I have printed out the packing list, bought my Aqua Shoes, and inquired about Evergreen Tours in Vila after a recent thread. The tour to the Cascades Water Fall and the Secret Garden sounds great but it leaves at 9.00am and im a little worried about booking this in case the ship is running late (due to arrive in Vila at 8.00am) Does this ever happen or wil the ship arrive in plenty of time for me to do the tour? maybe im better off catching a taxi to these places?

Hello Bim1

In my experience we have always docked earlier rather than later in Port Vila, reason I always miss sailing into that beautiful harbour!!

If the tours are PO shore tours obviously none leave until the ship is in.

As you are considering booking through another company, I can't comment if they will wait, depends how many others are doing the tour are none cruisers. Let them know when you book so they are aware, and they can advise, this may be a question they get asked often.

I really don't see a problem, it is so laid back there, there are many taxis waiting for your service if things don't go to plan.

We always "do our own thing" there, last visit we walked through town to Chantilly's and had a beautiful lunch with great views, a swim and walked back through town for shoppng. time before we took a taxi to Hideaway island for a swim and snorkel then shopping!! Heaps cheaper than PO tours!!

Have fun whatever you choose to do!! You could always hire a taxi for the whole day and make a list of your must see's!!

Cheryl

Hi Bim1, i am also booked on the same cruise as you. Last time in Port Vila we hired a taxi for the day and it took us anywhere we desired. As the previous post said don't worry if you've booked the tour with P&O, it will wait for you. Save all you shopping until Port Vila as it is the cheapest place for all your duty free goodies (grog & smokes). I don't recall the name of the shop but last May the place at the end of the main street on the left had the best prices. I will probally go diving at hideaway island and just catch a taxi there and arrange a time for it to pick me up again. It is such a laid back place ( My favorite).

Stewart :o

Save all you shopping until Port Vila as it is the cheapest place for all your duty free goodies (grog & smokes). I don't recall the name of the shop but last May the place at the end of the main street on the left had the best prices.

The place is called Fung Kuei, it's the very last shop on the left of the main street (walking away from the ship). Very good prices, I got a 1.125 Jim Beam White for $14 and a 1L Wild Turkey for $20. Can't wait to get there again.

Trevor

Thanks for the replies, there are so many things i want to do and see in Vila, wish i could fit them all in, I definitely want to spend the afternoon shopping :) but dont think my boys will be to happy about that. Hideway Island also looks beautiful, tried to convince my boys to try snokeling there( none of us have ever been) but they are not to keen on trying it, is it easy to get the hang of ? how much does it cost to get a taxi to show you the sites of Vila for an hour or two?

thanks

Denise

tried to convince my boys to try snokeling there( none of us have ever been) but they are not to keen on trying it, is it easy to get the hang of

I didn't find it too hard. You need to practice breathing through your mouth. If you have the room take your own snorkel set. They are $40(?) per set to hire for the duration of the cruise. If you do the P&O snorkelling the equipment is included, not sure about doing it yourself. Definitely give it a go, I love just floating about looking at all the fish and coral. Not sure about the islands you visit if there is snorkelling.

Archived