RC or Carnival

Hey guys-

I have put a depsit down on the Carnival Insparatoin for this March.

However, I was looking at cruise critic's dinner dress reccomendations and noticed that Carnival's dress was "anything goes" at night while RC was Business suites.

I know I am gonna sound like a huge snob, but is there a big difference in the type of people on Carnival VS RC?

There is a cruise for RC on an older 1988 boat the same time the same distance from our home.

I'm pretty low matianace, but I don't want to stuck with a ship full of people that look like they came from my local Wal-mart (it ain't pretty. Good folks, just don't want to be on a boat with them for 5 days)

OH- and how is the entertainment on the RC over Carnival?

Well, I shop at Walmart and my last cruise we went on Carnival. We dressed for dinner and most people did. We were on the Liberty and the formal nights everyone was dressed up!! Many formals and tuxes also. In fact, we liked Carnival better. Next cruise going on RC for the Aruba port, but one after that is back to Carnival. Maybe it was just our ship, but we enjoyed it more, food better, cabins bigger. We still enjoy RC, but our Carnival Liberty was our best cruise yet!

We were on Carnival's Miracle 2 years ago. People were dressed about the same as our recent Royal Caribbean's Explorer cruise on formal nights. My husband didn't wear his tux nor his dinner jacket...He wore a dark suit and tie and I wore a simple black cocktail dress.

Our friends just returned from the Liberty. They liked it too. A cruise is what you make it, but if you are younger and inclined to want to stay busy, then Royal Caribbean is for you, as the larger and newer ships have more going on. We have found the food to be the same on both lines. You will have to form your own opinions, because you will get hundreds of different ones here. We cc'r agree to disagree and that's 1/2 the fun of it...finding out what others think too. :D HAVE FUN no matter what line you choose!!!!

We have been on 3 Carnival cruises and went on our 1st RCI last month. Found the dress and service to be the same. We prefer Carnival or NCL to RCI. Better food and entertainment in our opinion. However, that is based on only one RCI cruise on an older ship. It was very quiet and a much older crowd (and we are in our mid-fifties). We plan to try a newer RCI next time. We have enjoyed all of our cruises so it's just a matter of preference.

We have been on 3 Carnival cruises and went on our 1st RCI last month. Found the dress and service to be the same. We prefer Carnival or NCL to RCI. Better food and entertainment in our opinion. However, that is based on only one RCI cruise on an older ship. It was very quiet and a much older crowd (and we are in our mid-fifties). We plan to try a newer RCI next time. We have enjoyed all of our cruises so it's just a matter of preference.

I think you'll find that the passengers are very similar on the two lines. Both lines have advantages, and I'm sure you'll hear many opinions favoring either one. Be sure and ask which line is better on the CCL board too (although you might want to leave out the Wal-mart stuff ;)).

You are probably going to find people to be less dressy on shorter cruises. I really don't think you are going to find too much difference in dress between the lines, though. I just got off of the Grandeur, and while it said not hats in the dining room, that was not enforced, let alone anything to do with formal attire.

I've wrote the same thing on my Grandeur comment card that I have on my Carnival cards ... if you are not going to enforce your rules (dress and other), then why have them?

Hey guys-

I have put a depsit down on the Carnival Insparatoin for this March.

However, I was looking at cruise critic's dinner dress reccomendations and noticed that Carnival's dress was "anything goes" at night while RC was Business suites.

I know I am gonna sound like a huge snob, but is there a big difference in the type of people on Carnival VS RC?

There is a cruise for RC on an older 1988 boat the same time the same distance from our home.

I'm pretty low matianace, but I don't want to stuck with a ship full of people that look like they came from my local Wal-mart (it ain't pretty. Good folks, just don't want to be on a boat with them for 5 days)

OH- and how is the entertainment on the RC over Carnival?

If you didn't want to sound like a snob I'd say you failed miserably.:)

Where did you find the dress code for Carnival cruise lines that said anything goes??

If your looking for balanced opinions of the 2 lines you've also come to the wrong place. This is the RCI board ya know.;)

Bill

I've done 3 cruises on both on both lines and they both do dress on the nights they're suppose to ok.Yes the lines are different and I like them both but kids will enjoy RCL more because all the things they can do. Also on all cruises there maybe some people you rather not cruise with, but they do have their right to cruise too. Just go with a good attitude and you'll have a good time.

Thanks for everyones comments!

I should have been more clear with wal-mart comment.

My LOCAL walmart is filled with people who make randy quaid (from chirstmas vactaion) look like martha stewart. I go to Walmat all the time, but the people that go to the wal mart IN MY TOWN are the worst of any walmart I have been to BY FAR (about 20-30)

I just did not want to show up to dinner with a table FULL (a couple would be ok) of people with sleevless t-shirts, diping at the table, belly sticking out,perm rollers in the hair, and no apperant ownership of hairbush, soap or shower in a week kind of folks. Is that so wrong?? :D

The reason I asked on the RC board is that I knew if I did not get a harsh answer about the cliental on Carnival, all would be right with the world.

Which is why Im gonna book the Carnival cruise right now- the one that fits the time frame has a better itenary!

Here is where I found the "anything goes on formal night" comment- Look at the bottom of the article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=76

Thanks for everyones comments!

I should have been more clear with wal-mart comment.

My LOCAL walmart is filled with people who make randy quaid (from chirstmas vactaion) look like martha stewart. I go to Walmat all the time, but the people that go to the wal mart IN MY TOWN are the worst of any walmart I have been to BY FAR (about 20-30)

I just did not want to show up to dinner with a table FULL (a couple would be ok) of people with sleevless t-shirts, diping at the table, belly sticking out,perm rollers in the hair, and no apperant ownership of hairbush, soap or shower in a week kind of folks. Is that so wrong?? :D

The reason I asked on the RC board is that I knew if I did not get a harsh answer about the cliental on Carnival, all would be right with the world.

Which is why Im gonna book the Carnival cruise right now- the one that fits the time frame has a better itenary!

Here is where I found the "anything goes on formal night" comment- Look at the bottom of the article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=76

You should have a great time, the differences are minor. I didn't notice any difference in the types of passengers, most dress nice for dinner with a few exceptions on each.

mixed bag at night that leans more to suits than tuxedos

VS

almost anything goes by night.

Am I the only one that sees a big differance here? I now know it is not the case, but there is huge differece in the launguage sublties here!

No worries, Ive been straighted out now!

Archived