Mardi Gras??????

O.K. so can any of you Aussies tell me about this Mardi Gras thing? I understand it goes on for the entire month of February. Does Sydney clog up with revelers? Do the hotels, considering it may be a "seller's market" jack prices up?

We are planning the 2-14-08 sailing out of Auckland with a three day post-cruise in Sydney on 2-26,27 and 28th. Is this going to put us right in the culmination of the festivities?

http://www.mardigras.org.au/

Ralph

I understand it goes on for the entire month of February. Does Sydney clog up with revelers?
I think that the big events draw big crowds, but I've been in Sydney reasonably often when Mardi Gras is on but not when the big events are on, and barely noticed it was happening.

You do not have to worry about Mardi Grass. You can be a part of it - or not. Hotels do not increase their prices - maybe just those really close to the gay area (Oxford Street, Darlinghurst). Anywhere else nothing changes and a large part of the Sydney population probably does not even realize the festival is on. So just come on down and enjoy our beautiful city.

You do not have to worry about Mardi Grass. You can be a part of it - or not. Hotels do not increase their prices - maybe just those really close to the gay area (Oxford Street, Darlinghurst). Anywhere else nothing changes and a large part of the Sydney population probably does not even realize the festival is on. So just come on down and enjoy our beautiful city.

Thank you very much for your response. I guess I was just unduly alarmed.

Ralph

Archived