Lodging in Matanuska Glacier area

LarryF

I am trying finalize our lodging for May 29, the night before we go on MICA Glacier Trek on Matanuska Glacier. The choices are:

Sheep Mountain Lodge

Castle Mountain

Tundra Rose

Alaska's Snowed Inn

Majestic Valley Lodge

I was going to reserve a room at Sheep Mountain, but just came across these other B&B's. Would love to hear from those who may have stayed at any of these places before I commit.

Thanks,

Larry

As you know, we haven't been there yet - but Frommer's recommends Majestic Valley Lodge and Sheep Mountain Lodge. I had a reservation at Majestic Valley @ $115 plus tax until I had to cut a night somewhere to add time in Homer.

The 29th is our 30th anniversary and I want to stay somewhere special that night. It looks like Castle Mountain B&B might have a little more "romantic" ambiance to it than the others. It was featured in the Inn Traveler Magazine last June, http://www.castlealaska.com/article/

I'd still like to hear from others that have stayed in any of the B&B's on my original post before I make my decision.

Thanks,

Larry

Nancy,

You are right. I was actually looking at staying in the Castle Mountain B&B and when I googled it, I mistakingly thought the article that came about up about the Castle Anchorage was about the Castle Mountain B&B, http://www.castlemountainb-b.com .

The Castle Mountain B&B is located in Chickaloon and it appears to be located about 25 miles west of Matanuska Glacier if I'm reading my Mile Post correctly. That may be a little farther away from the Glacier than we want to be??

Budget Queen...are you familiar with this B&B?

Thanks,

Larry

We are also looking for lodging and have found: Nelchina Lodge; Long rifle Lodge; and Majestic Valley Lodge. Any experience or comments on these? Liked the Tundra Rose cottages, but they don't open in time for us. We are early in the season - May 19th. Thanks for your help and comments. Laurie

I booked with Castle Mountain B&B today. I spent about 30 minutes with Corrie Feige, who is the owner, and a very delightful conversation. She was very honest with me and recommended all the B&B's I was looking at. She told me the that her B&B was more secluded than some of the others and that the views from thier balcony and private airstrip were outstanding looking out a Castle Mountain. She was also extemely helpful with many questions I had about the area and had many suggestions for things for us to do. She said they are having a very cold winter and based on history could mean they will have a very warm May!

Anyway, the B&B sounds delightful and she sold me on staying there. It also sounds like she makes an incredible breakfast.

She did highly recomment the Sheep Mountain Lodge for both lodging and meals. She also recommended the Long Rifle Lodge for meals. She said the Long Rifle Lodge was more like a diner experience and Sheep Mountain was more of a traditional dining restaurant.

I told her of my interest in driving Hatcher Pass, but knew it was doubful it would be open in late May. She told me that there actually is a decent chance it might be open based on the warmer May's they have been having, so I'm hopeful we may be able to take that drive!

Archived